Ramon Perez Question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Ramon Perez Question

Unread post by NMI »

Kenpachi wrote:What was the last book Ramon Perez did serious work on for PB?

Nightbane/spawn?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

It is completely different. The name was originally Nightspawn, but (IIRC) it was deemed to be too close to McFarlane's Spawn, so it was changed to Nightbane.

Link here:

http://www.palladiumbooks.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=730&Category_Code=N730
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

swimsuit rifters
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Machinations of Doom was a big one. Ramon even did the layout for that book.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Kenpachi wrote:omg that's weak as... absolutly pathetic, like anything that has the name spawn in it is owned by them. they would have lost badly...

Especially since the first book Kev published named 'Nightspawn' was printed in 1973. I have a few number 2s of that book, but none of the number 1 (I've never so much as frickin' SEEN the number 1...and for me, that's saying something).

http://www.lib.msu.edu/comics/rri/mrri/meetinga.htm

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Mephisto wrote:
Subjugator wrote:Especially since the first book Kev published named 'Nightspawn' was printed in 1973. I have a few number 2s of that book, but none of the number 1 (I've never so much as frickin' SEEN the number 1...and for me, that's saying something).

http://www.lib.msu.edu/comics/rri/mrri/meetinga.htm

/Sub

That list doesn't prove that Kevin Siembieda published it only that someone in Detroit published it in 1973...obviously Todd McFarlane wanted to keep the "Spawn" name from being diluted when it came to licensing but he did go overboard...and heck if anyone had a right to the name it was whomever wrote that story in 1973...

Call it a hunch... but since Sub and Kevin are friends I'm pretty sure that if Sub say's that's something Kevin wrote it's a good bet that Keven did in fact actually write that.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Hey Perez, just wanted to say I love your work and missed you at this years Open house.

Also you are way overdue for Butternut squash and Kukuburi swag, who's leg do I have to hump for you to talk to some dealer of Webcomic swag?
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

rat_bastard wrote:Hey Perez, just wanted to say I love your work...

Seconded, you are in fact my favorite artist to ever grace the pages of Palladium. My personal favorite piece was of a suit of, I believe, Silver Eagle power armor trying to fight off a tentacled mass emerging from a Rift. What I wouldn't give for a print of that.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

ramon perez wrote:
Galen wrote:Now, you see Master Perez, you should fix that and do some more art for the next book coming out. Please?

Don't make me beg... I won't do it.

heh heh, i'm not saying i'm not tempted... a revisit might be in order, i'll have to talk with that siembieda fellow ;)

Would love to see your work in the books again as your my favorite. :ok:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Here is something funny, it took almost a year for the RP to post an answer. :D

Will have to say that, I would like a part II to the Machinations of doom. Maybe a story with them interacting with the Shemarrians or getting caught in a some intrigue concerning the Mystic Knight clans.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

ramon perez wrote:thanks so much for the kudos. i look back fondly at my years at palladium, they seem like easy carefree days compared to now! palladium is where it all began for me in the professional spectrum and it was a great start with great great people.

will out paths cross again? only time will tell. i love the worlds created by kevin. they're teeming with richness and variety. how could a kid not enjoy playing in this sandbox!

whatever happens i know i'll always have a family here with the door wide open should i choose to dust off my pail and shovel and build a new sandcastle :)

@rat bastard, as for swag... there is a store on my site http://www.ramonperez.com that is slowly being filled with a variety of swag. right now there are some t-shirts, some original art (which will expand with time to include more comics work and rpg originals) and in the near future there'll be limited edition prints (though there is archival print on demand now) and eventually, hopefully books and toys... gimme time ;)

I hope you'll want to build that sand castle again soon. Love your work. *Hugs his copy of Free Quebec you autographed.*
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ramon perez wrote:sometimes you blink and a year goes by ;)

Any new artwork, of your's, in the PB supply line?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:

Nightbane/spawn?

More recently than that. There was original Perez stuff in the "Through The Glass Darkly" Nightbane sourcebook and the Systems Failure corebook. I'd stopped buying much Rifts stuff by then, and I was never into HU or PFRPG, so they might not be his last efforts.

Fudge, didn't realise this thread was this old :(
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Hopefully your life complications that you have hinted at have become manageable.

I love your work and look forward to seeing more, so good luck.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Hey Ramon, been totally amazed at KuKu. So vibrant, and what an awesome story you weave. Waiting for further updates with the 'squash as well. If I had a casbah, you'd be rocking it. 8]
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Personally, I'd love to see a sequel to Machinations of Doom. :D
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

ramon perez wrote:thanks again!

...i think it's time for a pow wow with the man behind the curtain.

When I think of Rifts I think about your art and as good as the other Rifts artists are I always think how would Perez have done this piece different.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Hey Ramon.

Quick Question if you do not mind, ok ??

#1 What is you favorite PB art piece you did (excluding MoD) ??
#2 What is your favorite RPG to play (if you play them) ??
#3 Ever thought about doing art for SPLICERS ??
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

ramon perez wrote:thanks again!

...i think it's time for a pow wow with the man behind the curtain.

Well, thats awesome. I hope something awesome comes of this. I re-read Machnations of doom about every two months.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Still love having the original of page 1 of Machinations of Doom. :D

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Jason Richards

Unread post by Jason Richards »

Just wanted to be a part of this thread...

Loving kukuburi, Ramon. Looking forward to the return of BNS as well, and can't ever get enough of that other sklog that I probably shouldn't link (love the new Nadia piece, no pun intended).

Don't be a stranger.
Support the Breachworld RPG! This D6 RPG is full-color and packed with handcrafted gaming goodness.

Get the whole scoop at http://www.breachworld.com
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

ramon perez wrote:
Ninjabunny wrote:Another quick question...
Do you still take commissions?

i only do commissions at shows as my schedule is far too packed otherwise. sorry.

i will be at future palladium open houses and comic shows as well, be the best time to corner me for a commission :)

I don't suppose you're going to make it to DragonCon in Georgia one of these years? :)
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

ramon perez wrote:
TechnoGothic wrote:Hey Ramon.

Quick Question if you do not mind, ok ??

#1 What is you favorite PB art piece you did (excluding MoD) ??
#2 What is your favorite RPG to play (if you play them) ??
#3 Ever thought about doing art for SPLICERS ??

...of course i can.

1. to be honest there are so many, i couldn't just pick one. many of my favourites reside in books like lonestar, new west, federation of magic, warlords of russia and baalgor wastelands. fom i love for the chance to design the look of the mages from the ground up, russia for the same reasons on the robot designs. baalgor i had a lot if fun with cause i got to pick and choose the illustrations from the script myself and lonestar and new west cause they were just so much fun. i know a few faves included the original illustration of the machinations of doom crew as it inspired the whole story and my reinterpretation of the simvans... funny of which kevin owns both originals! i always regretted parting with that simvan piece...

2. to be honest i haven't played in yeeeaaaaaars. the last campaign i played in i was a thief in a world of a friends design and we were using the palladium fantasy rules. before that i used to play the star wars rpg when it was under the west end games banner. but these days i find i have little time to game as i enjoy concocting stories to tell... and that seems to eat up a lot of time ;)

3. splicers came in around the time i stopped working on palladium books regularly so i am, aside from the title, unfamiliar with the game and the story behind it.

I gotta say, your Federation of Magic, Spirit West, New West, and Lonestar are some of my favorites of your art. I love the mages and indians your drew. My single most favorite is STRONG EAGLE from Spirit West pg 183. That picture alone made the book great imho, though I do like the book itself too ;)

Last I heard PB was doing a SPLICERS Sourcebook. Some great artist will be doing art for last i heard. Notibly madjaguar. But you should talk to Kevin about maybe doing a few picture for it. I'd love to see your spin on Host Armors and designs for the Machine (the weak spots of the Splicer rpg art).
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan

Return to “Rifts®”