Library Of Bletherad

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dolcet
Wanderer

Library Of Bletherad

Unread post by Dolcet »

I have a question about the great library. It states that creatures of magic (such as dragons, mummies & scarecrows) take 1d4*10 damage a miunute, does this also apply to Demigods?

I have an adventure coming up for a solo Demigod who has been banished here (palladium world) by another god in a fit jealousy & I was going to have the trail lead to the library & from there elsewhere (prob. through a portal to phase world then home).
I reject your reality & substitute my own
Adam Savage "Mythbusters"
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Library Of Bletherad

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would put demigods outside of this. They have a mortal component that makes them immune. Probably not RAW, but I like it.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Demi-gods fall into the SuperNatural category, not Creatures of Magic.

gods and demons=SN
Dragons and unicorns=CoM
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Probitas

Unread post by Probitas »

I'd have to agree with Gods and similar beings being immune to damage from a lack of access to 'magic-chlorians' or whatever. If magic is available and can be used by those in the know, then it must be a natural component of the cosmos. However, they still can't cast spells or use ANY magic based innate abilities while inside the Library (unless they save which is highly possible because of some of their bonuses), the Anti-magic effect precludes this. This is why you won't likely EVER see a God inside the grounds, they would be too vulnerable to attacks from other Gods, a state most are not familiar with and normally would never submit to, except for those like Rurga with a highly developed sense of morality, or those insane or driven enough like Chantico not to care.

I think the relevant part to focus on is that supernatural means:

adj.
Of or relating to existence outside the natural world.
Attributed to a power that seems to violate or go beyond natural forces.
Of or relating to a deity.
Of or relating to the immediate exercise of divine power; miraculous.
Of or relating to the miraculous.
n.
That which is supernatural.
(from Answers.com).

Dragons and other natural creatures of magic (meaning they are connected to and a part of the magic as well as being mortal regardless of how long they live) cannot exist without magic, and therefore take damage when that magic is denied them. It's like cutting off their O2 supply. Magic users manipulate the magic already in existance, bending it to their wills, but are incapable of doing so without an outside source from which to draw power (recharging their personal battery).

Supernatural creatures do not require magic to survive and regenerate their power over time regardless, as their existance is not dependent on magic, but on other things like worshippers or the nature of the cosmos, larger and more grand structures than a relatively simple thing like a planet. For example, Rurga has worshippers on more than one world, connected by rifts or dimensional portals, and cutting her off from magic would not stop her from showing up personally, even if that meant she had to take public transit to get there. They might not be able to cast spells unless they save, but they still have their huge ISP/psionic power reserves as well as their high SDC and HP totals, not to mention some are beyond human measurement in skill (lvl 20 or more). Even at half power, some gods would be casting spells at more than level 15. Add their regenerative abilities, and they are still quite formidable even without magic. As well, the general power level of the Gods would make having to visit the Library a waste of time, as they can quite easily destroy the place from outside the boundaries of the anti-magic zone, simply by calling up storms or other AOE powers, such as earthquake or river of lava. Once in existence, they are every bit as natural and non-magical as any other naturally occurring event, so I'm sure a simple message to those inside the Library that they better get with the program and provide some answers would be answered quickly, provided they determine that the request is from a bona-fide God (Godling, demi-, whatever).

And don't think that being referred to as a Demi-god makes them somehow easier for mortals to handle, it does not. Those levels of power measurement are only useful when gods deal with other gods, the mortals are still out of their league. And such a term is likely to **** one off too, especially if it comes from a mortal.

Although you could run the game like a cheesy Hercules or Xena episode, they were fun to watch.
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

Dolcet wrote:I have a question about the great library. It states that creatures of magic (such as dragons, mummies & scarecrows) take 1d4*10 damage a miunute, does this also apply to Demigods?

I have an adventure coming up for a solo Demigod who has been banished here (palladium world) by another god in a fit jealousy & I was going to have the trail lead to the library & from there elsewhere (prob. through a portal to phase world then home).

It would be totally your call and all, but I would say he that can enter it easily enough.
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”