rifts underseas

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mech-Viper Prime
Palladin
Comment: Full of Love and C-4, give me a hug.

Unread post by Mech-Viper Prime »

wet :lol: :lol: :lol:

its a nice start,

Coalition Navy SB4 is a good book to add to collection after Underseas
Ravenwing wrote:"Killing Dbee's isn't murder, they aren't human, it's pest control!"

Zardoz wrote:You have been raised up from Brutality, to kill the Brutals who multiply, and are legion. To this end, Zardoz your God gave you the gift of the Gun. The Gun is good!
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

it's pretty good as far as World Books go. it would be perfect for what you have in mind...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Toc Rat
Hero

Re: rifts underseas

Unread post by Toc Rat »

Gunfighter07 wrote:i was thinking of doing a pirate campaign with a submarine pirate ship and combine south america under seas and atlantisi got japan too what is underseas like i dont have the book yet

Underseas is exactly what you need for your campaign. It is also just a nice world book to have. While not as good as the Atlantis book I rank Underseas as one of my favorites.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

It's always been one of my favorite WBs! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Hannibal
Explorer

Unread post by Hannibal »

I also highly recommend the Rifts Underseas book. Good RCCs and OCCs (ie... Sea Titans and Sea Inquisitors), cool villain (I know some don't like the LotD, but I do), cool sub, well written... definitely one of the better books in the Rifts line IMO. And one of the earlier posters was right that the CS Navy sourcebook would also be a good addition/supplement for such a campaign....
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I'm surprised by the amount of people that said they enjoyed Underseas, often it gets heavily critisised here.
I think it's an average book, great ideas but a hard setting to use, unless you commit to a seabased campaign, which few people do. Also we never saw Lemuria
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Toc Rat
Hero

Unread post by Toc Rat »

grandmaster z0b wrote:I'm surprised by the amount of people that said they enjoyed Underseas, often it gets heavily critisised here.
I think it's an average book, great ideas but a hard setting to use, unless you commit to a seabased campaign, which few people do. Also we never saw Lemuria

That is true, for the most part on these boards I have to defend Underseas...hmm, I wonder if it's popularity is going up as more people encounter Rifts? Or is it simply we havent heard more from the fans of the book? :-?

You wouldnt have to commit to a TOTALY sea based campaign. For example, you could run a NGR based game in which the PCs are part of the NGR's amphibious assault forces, about to launch their surprise offensive from the sea. It would involve the ocean to be sure but it wouldnt be based entirely out at sea.
Another campaign could involve South America, the fabled "Land of a thousand islands" now that much of it is underwater and the amazon has swelled to unheard of levels. The PCs could be pirates, vampire hunters that raid in to Mexico and then flee to the protection offered by the water, explorers from (insert nation HERE), True Atlanteans from Clan Skellion fighting the vampires and splugorth, the list is near endless.

The book doesnt limit you to fun and games on the ocean, yes it's easy to run an entirely ocean based game but it is possible to use it for other campaigns.
Toc Rat: The Col. wants us to install what in his tank?!
Col.'s Driver: A cigarette lighter so he can plug in his cellphone charger.
Toc Rat: :frust:

RainOfSteel wrote:
An excellent insight that hits the nail on the head with a rune-hammer.

Winter wrote:One of the best thought out answers on this forum I have read for a while :ok:
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I like the New Navy. I could have done without the Sea Titans. I would rather have seen Nemo, or his father being a transfered AI running the Tico if you needed Pre-Rift leadership.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Toc Rat wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:I'm surprised by the amount of people that said they enjoyed Underseas, often it gets heavily critisised here.

That is true, for the most part on these boards I have to defend Underseas...hmm, I wonder if it's popularity is going up as more people encounter Rifts? Or is it simply we havent heard more from the fans of the book? :-?

IMO, that's due to what I call the "Silent Majority Syndrome." People that like the book really see no need to continually say how good it is over the years, but people that hate it feel the need to express their opinion on the matter for all time.

As for me: I love that book and will highly recommend it. Infact, it's pretty high up on my top ten list.

~ Josh
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Phalanx wrote:I can still remember the first time I saw that picture of the Ticonderoga. :D

Me too. :D

In fact, I can remember what I said at the time too. However, if I post what I said the Mods would smack me.

~ Josh
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Underseas is a great book with a few problems...problems that have become more apparent as the Rifts system has changed. First of these is the New Navy, its equipment and training. To begin with, a lot of its weaponry was underpowered. Its OCCs bland. With new books that give similar OCC's tremendous bonuses (Tolkien 4-cyberknight, Merc Adv - Airborne, Coalition Navy - Nautical Commando) New Navy OCCs are underpowered...

Lets not forget, the New Navy fights on a day to day basis and has 300 years of institutional knowledge-non of the afore mentioned OCCs should recieve bonuses that are significantly higher than New Navy OCCs.

And then the weapons...yech!!! And Chaos Earth made the New Navy's weapons even less likable.

This is another book I would like to see revamped (I like it!!! I'll buy a new copy) and brought into line with the current Rifts universe.
Josh Sinsapaugh

shadrak wrote:Underseas is a great book with a few problems...problems that have become more apparent as the Rifts system has changed. First of these is the New Navy, its equipment and training. To begin with, a lot of its weaponry was underpowered. Its OCCs bland. With new books that give similar OCC's tremendous bonuses (Tolkien 4-cyberknight, Merc Adv - Airborne, Coalition Navy - Nautical Commando) New Navy OCCs are underpowered...

Lets not forget, the New Navy fights on a day to day basis and has 300 years of institutional knowledge-non of the afore mentioned OCCs should recieve bonuses that are significantly higher than New Navy OCCs.

And then the weapons...yech!!! And Chaos Earth made the New Navy's weapons even less likable.

This is another book I would like to see revamped (I like it!!! I'll buy a new copy) and brought into line with the current Rifts universe.

I think it is fine the way it is, especially considering other canonical sources,including Chaos Earth.

~ Josh
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Nope...New Navy should be more powerful ;)

*grunts* arh arh arh
Aramanthus
Monk

I agree that the New Navy should have an up-grade. And is you look in the Mummurs from Kevin, He mentions he has a manuscript for Leumria! :D
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

HH....FIE
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Don't see why it needed to be far more damaging than what it is, though limited in its personal weaponry selection the weapons presented is comparable to the weapons of CE in terms of damage.

Sir, you are not entirely incorrect. However, if we assume that the American Empire reserved even its second-line equipment for the marines (which is doubtful...probably frontline) we see several discrepancies. The only explanation is that the New Navy cannot produce weapons to their original specifications.

Nema Armor: MDC: 120 weight: 12lbs penalties: -5 climb -10 prowl

Marine armor: MDC: 85 weight: 21 lbs -10 physical skills

CA-4: MDC: 100 weight: 20lbs -10/20 climb/physical

American BA (per index) MDC: 65 weight: 10 lbs no penalties

NEMA far surpasses the marines, and even the CS (not supposed to be as advanced as preRifts) gives them a run for the money.

Ion Pistols:
NEMA: weight-3 lbs damage: 3D6/1D4x10 (3) range: 800' payload:21
Marine: weight 5lbs Damage: 3D6 range: 800' payload: 21

New Navy Seal Bonuses: None
NN Marine Bonuses: +1 initiative, +1 Roll w/impact, +1 pull punch
Airborne:+1 NOA, +1D4x10 SDC, +1D4 PS, PE, Spd, +2 I, +1 S, +2 P & D, Special Sharpshooting skill, hold breath.
CS Nautical Commando: +1 NOA, +24 SDC, +1 initiative (increase w/exp lvl)

Either some of these are overpowered, or the New Navy is underpowered
Aramanthus
Monk

But remember the New Navy may not have the research program going. Of course that is up too a GM until Palladium updates them even in a little way. Maybe there could be an update in that manuscript. All I know is that I'd love to see something new for them, other than what Kitsune or I have done for them in my game. :)

HH....FIE
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Still frustrating...its like some authors don't take into acount a previous author's work. Isn't CJ Carrella supposed to be the power-monger writer?
Aramanthus
Monk

Yeah, I think his work does do that. But I don't have most of my Rifts here with me. Only about 5 books here with me at work. :-D

HH....FIE
Pax Concord
D-Bee

Unread post by Pax Concord »

There may be certain raw materials that the New Navy doesn't have access to in the quantities to produce weapons up to NEMA's pre-Rifts specifications. They're rather isolationist, so they may have trouble getting everything they need through trade.

As far as the bonuses go, that's been an annoying trend in Rifts OCCs for the last few years, adding bonuses to character types which didn't have them in earlier books. Oh well.
-Pax
Aramanthus
Monk

I like my Kill Whale Bi form! Namor Eastwood. He's also a New West gun slinger in his human form. Of course he is strong enough to splatter most small MD creatures with a Strength of 50. 8)

HH....FIE
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Phalanx wrote:I'd be more than happy to add my Karl Dobson-class submarine that I posted here to any future New Navy project. :)

and i'd be more than happy to add my Salvation Class carrier, Barracuda class super-cavitating subfighter, and the ELF-RNS (Extremely low frequency Radio Navigation system.)
i also have idea's for some non-combat NN subs, i just never got around to writing them.

and i can toss in my undersea colony idea, the golden age starting due to undersea colonization, and the new cold war being a result of the subsequent 'land grabs'. :)

heck, we're halfway to a source book right there.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Hannibal
Explorer

Unread post by Hannibal »

grandmaster z0b wrote:Also we never saw Lemuria

Why is everyone so obsessed over Lemuria? I don't think there's more bitterness on the boards in regards to an unpublished book than there is for Lemuria (followed closely by Australia 2 probably)....
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Because the lemurians are supposed to be as advanced as the Atlanteans...and Lemuria was hinted at throughout Underseas.

You are talking about a race of people whose civilization is important enough to devote an entire Worldbook to...and there is little or no mention to them at all, even in RUE or Aftermath.
Aramanthus
Monk

I know, I always wanted to find out about the Lemuria and it's people from the moment they were mentioned in Rifts Underseas!

HH....FIE
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

Lemuria is needed, just from the number of references in Underseas.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

shadrak wrote:Because the lemurians are supposed to be as advanced as the Atlanteans...and Lemuria was hinted at throughout Underseas.

You are talking about a race of people whose civilization is important enough to devote an entire Worldbook to...and there is little or no mention to them at all, even in RUE or Aftermath.

They all drowned. :)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Aramanthus
Monk

LOL hahaha KC. That is one way of starting a new world book. I can just see the Lemuria World Book....... And this subsurface plateau is where the Lemurian Civilazation lived and died in one afternoon. The gods created them and gave them life only to be practical jokers by denying them gills. :lol:

HH....FIE
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Heck, that works for me...do the same with the republicans....but don't just talk abstractly about a race or group for 6 or 7 years.
Kelorin
Adventurer
Location: Aboard the USS Lexington, flagship of the New Navy Atlantic Fleet

Unread post by Kelorin »

This is for Shadrak, and Gunfighter07 who may not have been on the boards when these threads were originally posted.

On the topic of the Ticonderoga and the New Navy:
http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/foru ... highlight=

On the topic of UN Spacy / RDF subcarriers in Rifts:

On the topic of a New Navy / Australia or Republic of Japan alliance:
http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/foru ... &&start=15

On the topic of possible New Navy allies:

Speculation on the nature of the Lemurians:

On the topic of the Republic of Japan's navy:

The Karl Dobson Class Arsenal Submarine:

The Jörmungandr Class Submersible Battleship:

On the topic of intercontinental smuggling:

There. That should get y'all started, and keep ya busy for a bit. Enjoy.
shadrak
Champion

Unread post by shadrak »

Thanks!!!! I agree!!! Based on the stats, the New Navy should have been gone long ago
Aramanthus
Monk

Thanks for the links Kelorin! I've augmented the New Navy in my game! And they do have a new ally/commander in chief. My Federated States of America. Which has a president who serves a four year term and is elected by popular vote of it's citizens. And they have produced new vessels for the New Navy.

HH....FIE

Return to “Rifts®”