Fillable PFRPG Char Sheets?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Sounds like you have a new project. Now get started! 8)
:fool:
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Unread post by count zero »

The problem with PDF character sheets that can be filled out is this: if you don't have the full version of Acrobat, you can fill out the sheet but you cannot save it and edit or re-fill it later. You can only fill it out and print it if you open it with the Acrobat Reader.

Acrobat Reader 7.0 Help wrote:Data you enter into a fillable form isn't saved with the PDF form, unless the PDF document contains special usage rights. Instead, you can print the form you've filled in or use the form's submit button of one is provided by the form creator.

Now, if you want to shell out for the full version of Acrobat, that's all well and good. But I have a feeling that the vast majority of users will be unwilling or unable to shell out for the full version when the Reader is free for the downloading. Acrobat 7.0 Standard is selling for US $299 these days and 7.0 Professional for US $449.

We've got PDF character sheets in the APFRPG section of monkey-bars.net (HERE) and I experimented a bit with Acrobat Professional to create a version of one of the sheets that could be filled out electronically. It worked and looked just swell. When I found out one can't save the data one has entered into the sheet, I abandoned doing the rest because it didn't seem practical.

If someone with a better knowledge of Acrobat knows of a workaround, I'd love to hear about it.

pax
Ø
Giddoen
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: I have faith! My character sheet says so!!!

PDF sheets

Unread post by Giddoen »

What about CUTEpdf or other flavors of PDF's Cute I think lets you open adobe pdf's and if you use CUTE maybe you can save it????

Giddoen
I have faith!....My character sheet says so!!!
Natalya

Unread post by Natalya »

I don't know if they're still doing it, but Adobe did have a trial version of their Acrobat program that was good for 30 days. The trial program was good, you could do virtually everything, including creating the fillable/saveable files.

Maybe they still have that? If you get the sheet ready in advance, it shouldn't be hard to make one.
count zero
Explorer
Comment: I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space, were it not that I have bad dreams.

Natalya wrote:I don't know if they're still doing it, but Adobe did have a trial version of their Acrobat program that was good for 30 days. The trial program was good, you could do virtually everything, including creating the fillable/saveable files.

Maybe they still have that? If you get the sheet ready in advance, it shouldn't be hard to make one.

Adobe is indeed offering a free 30-day trial on Acrobat Professional. But what do you do after the trial period runs out and you want to fill out a new sheet and save it? Keep downloading the trial version everytime you need to make a change or fill out a new sheet? I mean, I would think that there's gonna be a time after the month runs out that one would like to use one's fancy fillable character sheet.

If you create a fillable, saveable PDF with Acrobat Professional, you still need a working version of the program in order to save data to the PDF. Just because you fill it and save it with Professional doesn't mean you can save it or edit/enter new data with plain ol' Reader.

Anyway, you have to register with Adobe to download the trial version in the first place. I didn't go through the process, so I don't know if you can enter bogus information in order to download it multiple times (I think that'd be a pretty shady thing to do, in any case.)

pax
Ø
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

count zero wrote:The problem with PDF character sheets that can be filled out is this: if you don't have the full version of Acrobat, you can fill out the sheet but you cannot save it and edit or re-fill it later. You can only fill it out and print it if you open it with the Acrobat Reader.

Acrobat Reader 7.0 Help wrote:Data you enter into a fillable form isn't saved with the PDF form, unless the PDF document contains special usage rights. Instead, you can print the form you've filled in or use the form's submit button of one is provided by the form creator.

Now, if you want to shell out for the full version of Acrobat, that's all well and good. But I have a feeling that the vast majority of users will be unwilling or unable to shell out for the full version when the Reader is free for the downloading. Acrobat 7.0 Standard is selling for US $299 these days and 7.0 Professional for US $449.

We've got PDF character sheets in the APFRPG section of monkey-bars.net (HERE) and I experimented a bit with Acrobat Professional to create a version of one of the sheets that could be filled out electronically. It worked and looked just swell. When I found out one can't save the data one has entered into the sheet, I abandoned doing the rest because it didn't seem practical.

If someone with a better knowledge of Acrobat knows of a workaround, I'd love to hear about it.

pax
Ø

Had to remove the Monkey Bars link in my sig, due to content.

8[
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

I've made a MS Publisher version of the character sheet. It was made from Office 2003 so I'm not sure if there are any issues with opening it with different versions. As soon as I can get it hosted, I'll let you know.
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

I have a download location.
Try it here.
I have both a PDF version and the Publisher file. The PDF is not a form.
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

So? How is it? I've seen that it's been downloaded a dozen times.
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Xynar wrote:I have a download location.
Try it here.
I have both a PDF version and the Publisher file. The PDF is not a form.

That PDF is awesome.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

Thank you. The PDF came straight from the Publisher file. I wanted to be able to have a printable sheet so I put in the lines. To fill it out, simply type where the lines are (for the Publisher file).
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
count zero
Explorer

Xynar wrote:So? How is it? I've seen that it's been downloaded a dozen times.

It's no better or worse than the official character sheets.

Ø
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

count zero wrote:It's no better or worse than the official character sheets.

Ø

Can you add a bit more to your description so I may be able to improve the sheet? There is a second page in the works for more items (with areas for item abilities), spells, and psionics. Otherwise I thought I covered the basics after updating the original sheet (it was the template).
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
count zero
Explorer

Xynar wrote:Can you add a bit more to your description so I may be able to improve the sheet? There is a second page in the works for more items (with areas for item abilities), spells, and psionics. Otherwise I thought I covered the basics after updating the original sheet (it was the template).

Well, yeah, that's pretty much it: you covered the basics, and crammed as much as you could onto the sheet. What have you added beyond what was on the original, official sheet? (I don't happen to have one in front of me to compare to yours.) It's comprehensive and has spaces to fill out every bit of basic information one might typically need. But if all you've done is rearrange the categories and added a few lines here and there, you haven't reinvented the wheel so much as slapped a new coat of paint on it.

I can't say it looks particularly good. I would think you were going for function over form, but this is fairly easy to do from a design standpoint. Text + lines + boxes and you've got a sheet. But it looks cluttered. There isn't enough negative space for the eye to move in and out of the design. Everything is boxed in and compartmentalized, and it's a tad exhausting to look at (at least for me). The headings--such as "Combat Skill" and "Armor" and "Equipment" et al--should be separated from the lines and so forth in a more distinctive manner. And since there's so many boxes and lines crammed in there, it seems to me I'd have to write pretty small to fit information into a lot of the spaces. I don't like having to write really small.

And you've made some questionable decisions as far as the importance of information based on its location on the page. I don't think saving throws are important enough to rate being at the top of the page (but that's just my opinion). A basic design principle for a form such as this would be the most important data, the stuff you need most often, should go near the top of the page, the lesser-used data near the bottom. I suppose it's a judgement call as to what you consider to be more important data. But at least you've kept similar information types nearby (i.e. the combat stuff is all clustered together, skills are next to skills, &c.).

I guess what I'm saying is that your design doesn't do much for me. It's got the information it needs to have, but it's bland and cluttered. It isn't bad, but neither is it a radical departure.

Ø
Xynar
Wanderer

Unread post by Xynar »

Well, I admit that this is a revamp of the original sheet. It was not intended to be printed blank and filled out. I have tried to develop different sheets but I have always liked character sheets to be one or two pages at the most. The second page to this sheet is for the rest like spells and a mount. I can try to throw something together that would be prettier but in my gaming experience, it has never been appreciated.

The sheet looks much better filled out without the lines. If there are others that want something different than just digital sheet that can filled out (the point of this thread) then we should start working towards our ideal character sheet for this system.

Here's a basic start:
Character portrait on the sheet?
A body pic to show where items are?
S.D.C. by location?
Xynar
The Great Adventurer
count zero
Explorer

Xynar wrote:The sheet looks much better filled out without the lines. If there are others that want something different than just digital sheet that can filled out (the point of this thread) then we should start working towards our ideal character sheet for this system.

If my previous post sounded a bit harsh, I apologize. I didn't really start off with the intent to just go through a laundry list of what I don't like about your sheet. Again, if it works for you and your group, more power to ya.

I guess my issue is this: I don't have much use for fillable PDF character sheets to begin with. You fill it all out at the start, print it out, and I'm sure it looks swell. But what happens when something changes? Instead of just erasing the old data and writing in the new, you go back to the sheet saved on your computer, make the change, then print it out again. Now, if you've dispensed with the paper altogether and just bring a laptop to the gaming table and open the file onscreen, your problem is solved; but for those of us that prefer to have physical character sheets and scrap paper and pencils and piles of dice (instead of random number generators) and all that, it's a bit more of a hassle. Information on the sheet has a habit of changing somewhat more often than every time a character levels. Even if it's relatively minor stuff like equipment and so on.

I've tried to make up a fillable PDF version of the sheets Mantis and I created, but ultimately abandoned it due to the limitations imposed by Acrobat, and because I'm a cranky old school gamer and I likes my beat-up paper character sheets, dagnabbit. :D

Ø
count zero
Explorer

Xynar wrote:The sheet looks much better filled out without the lines. If there are others that want something different than just digital sheet that can filled out (the point of this thread) then we should start working towards our ideal character sheet for this system.

Here's a basic start:
S.D.C. by location?

Mantis and I did just that ("[created] our ideal character sheet for this system"). It's got a space for a character portrait, but we don't use hit locations, and if it's important to know where a particular item is carried on a character's body, we make a note next to the item.

We've got PDF character sheets in the APFRPG section of monkey-bars.net (HERE). They're a few years old now, but I think they hold up pretty well, and they've worked like a champ for our group.

Ø
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

count zero wrote:

Here's a basic start:
S.D.C. by location?

Mantis and I did just that ("[created] our ideal character sheet for this system"). It's got a space for a character portrait, but we don't use hit locations, and if it's important to know where a particular item is carried on a character's body, we make a note next to the item.

We've got PDF character sheets in the APFRPG section of monkey-bars.net (HERE). They're a few years old now, but I think they hold up pretty well, and they've worked like a champ for our group.

Ø
That is one sweet site!
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
count zero
Explorer

Zenvis Ryhen Tradi'Vetta wrote:That is one sweet site!

Ø
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Count Zero,
You plan on doing the other S.D.C. games?
count zero
Explorer

Zenvis Ryhen Tradi'Vetta wrote:Count Zero,

We don't have any real plans to create sheets for any of the other SDC games at the moment. Since PF is the only game we're running at the moment, I don't see the need (since we only did our PF character sheets for own use in the first place). I suppose if I received enough requests for sheets for one or more of the other games, I could try and whip some up. I'd need some input from players or GMs as to what sort of info they'd want to be included.

Ø
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

count zero wrote:
Zenvis Ryhen Tradi'Vetta wrote:Count Zero,

We don't have any real plans to create sheets for any of the other SDC games at the moment. Since PF is the only game we're running at the moment, I don't see the need (since we only did our PF character sheets for own use in the first place). I suppose if I received enough requests for sheets for one or more of the other games, I could try and whip some up. I'd need some input from players or GMs as to what sort of info they'd want to be included.

Ø

The reason why I ask is I am looking for someone who has created a decent ATB character sheet that is tight and in PDF format. (I am sorry but Palladium's PDF doc is a bit loose and I like smaller print and more options to put on a sheet.)
count zero
Explorer

joscap wrote:Count Zero,

I used your sheet and made it fill-able through acrobat Writer. Works well with drop down boxes with most skills and type in boxes. Looks real Sharp.

While I applaud your initiative, I wish you had asked us before you did anything with the sheet. I'm not sure if I would have said we were okay with it, but what's done is done. I don't really like the idea of someone altering the sheet without at least checking with us first.

That having been said, we'd like it if the sole download location for the fillable sheet is Monkey Bars. If you'll e-mail it to me, I'll post it with the other sheets and those who want it can get it there. We'll give you full credit for the conversion.

Ø
count zero
Explorer

joscap wrote:Sorry about that, I usually don't mind if anyone takes my stuff and uses it for their games or own use and did not consider you might.

I will email it to you tonight.

It is your sheet. You made it. I chose it because the space between the lines is enough that it allowed combo boxes. I could have made my own, in retrospect, but time is precious to me, and i have very little of between work and raising my 7 kids, and my wife and my novel....as you can see i am an extremely busy man.

Sorry , no offense intended.

I believe we all come here to help each other with ideas and questions , not to promote ourselves as being anything.

No offense taken. Neither I or Mantis are ticked off about it. I'm jazzed you found it and thought enough of it to work on a fillable version. We wouldn't have put the sheet up on the site if we didn't want it downloaded and used. I was just a little suprised to find out someone had made a fillable version. So, no harm no foul.

Not sure what you meant by "promot[ing] ourselves as being anything." It's a simple matter of us wanting as many people to visit our site and (we hope) find the stuff we've put there useful to them in some small way. I mean--ultimately--we can't control what someone does with the sheets once they've downloaded them; but the more people we can get to visit Monkey Bars (and keep coming back :D) the happier we are.

Ø
count zero
Explorer

insanigoth wrote:Ooops... I just did the same thing.. sorry. I just wanted to help make something else cool for your guy's site... I have used your basic printed sheets in my campaigns because I found them so superior to the standard palladium sheets (which were SO cramped and hard to read..).

:-D

insanigoth wrote:I haven't changed any of the layout.. but merely had begun to add more fields and to readjust the combo boxes on the fillable sheet that you guys had posted..

Hope this wasn't a big problem...

No problem at all. I'm just glad someone found the sheets useful and likes em as much as we do. You're welcome to make any changes to the fillable sheet you like. We haven't got much in the way of feedback as to whether people prefer them to the standard, fill-em-out-with-a-pencil PDFs, but that's neither here nor there.

E-mail your revised version(s) to me if you like. I'll post em on the site for sure.

Ø
count zero
Explorer

insanigoth wrote:Done. Just sent the three different Men-at-Arms ones that I have done...

I will make more later!

The fillable versions whipped up by isanigoth are up on the site and available for download. Feel free to drop by and take a look.

APFRPG @ Monkey Bars

Drop either Mantis or me a line and let us know how you like em and if you have any suggestions for the sheets or the site in general. Cheers!

Ø
pblackcrow
Champion

Unread post by pblackcrow »

While we are on the subject of character sheets, I would like to see a sheet for a wizard with stats for a familiar and a rideing mount on it. I think that mounts should be included with all the characters sheets, pervided they can have housemanship.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

I might as well as say it on here too...I don't care if it's 2 pages or 10...if it has everything I could need on it. All the saving throws, perception throw, space for PPE channeling, space for foci, etc.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

pblackcrow wrote:I might as well as say it on here too...I don't care if it's 2 pages or 10...if it has everything I could need on it. All the saving throws, perception throw, space for PPE channeling, space for foci, etc.
AMEN, or at least a speciality sheet for the first page and a general page that can be used by every O.C.C./R.C.C. that followed. For instance, magic users can use psionics, but probably not have bionics/cybernetics and viceversa. So some things can be illuminated. The big one that I would like to see is a Splicers sheet that was Splicers specific.
pblackcrow
Champion

I play mages (wizards and warlocks mostly) and would like a sheet with everything I need which I can fill in.

A page devoted to spells. Name of spell, range, duration, level, PPE cost, damage, and the rest of that line and the entire next line for the spell description. Things can't always be summarized into a short sentence. Look at mystic portal for example. Psionics the same way. A gear/notes page. A money chart broke down by region. Eastern Territories, Old Kingdom, etc. After all, who stays in the same region??? Heck, you have different currency in the Eastern Territories. So, perhaps kingdom specific coinage might be easier. Example: my player has 11,480 in Wisdom coinage, 1051 in Western Empire, 400 in Old Kingdom coinage, 250 in Haven coinage, and 500 in Kaash coinage. All are different.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

pblackcrow wrote:I play mages (wizards and warlocks mostly) and would like a sheet with everything I need which I can fill in.

A page devoted to spells. Name of spell, range, duration, level, PPE cost, damage, and the rest of that line and the entire next line for the spell description. Things can't always be summarized into a short sentence. Look at mystic portal for example. Psionics the same way. A gear/notes page. A money chart broke down by region. Eastern Territories, Old Kingdom, etc. After all, who stays in the same region??? Heck, you have different currency in the Eastern Territories. So, perhaps kingdom specific coinage might be easier. Example: my player has 11,480 in Wisdom coinage, 1051 in Western Empire, 400 in Old Kingdom coinage, 250 in Haven coinage, and 500 in Kaash coinage. All are different.
Will all the various forms of magic at least make one generic magic page for spells that are common to wizards/sorcerers/mages and one that is exclusive to warlocks because most people play just like you, they keep it simple. All we need is a second sheet with all the names of the spells and a check mark box for selection.
Now I have seen a warlock character sheet that had a second sheet with all the spells and a check mark next to it so that you can select what spells you have. It was very handy. Dont ask where I saw it but its on the net somewhere.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Thread necromancy!!

Zombie threads!!!

Gahhh!!!
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
pblackcrow
Champion

Zenvis wrote:Will all the various forms of magic at least make one generic magic page for spells that are common to wizards/sorcerers/mages and one that is exclusive to warlocks because most people play just like you, they keep it simple. All we need is a second sheet with all the names of the spells and a check mark box for selection.
Now I have seen a warlock character sheet that had a second sheet with all the spells and a check mark next to it so that you can select what spells you have. It was very handy. Dont ask where I saw it but its on the net somewhere.

No, I don't want check box sheets. Except for the hand to hand stuff. Mainly because most of my players and I tend to invent new spells, circles, etc. So, discription work much better.

Is this the sheets you mean? http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... heets.html That wouldn't work well in my games. Sorry.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

pblackcrow wrote:
Zenvis wrote:Will all the various forms of magic at least make one generic magic page for spells that are common to wizards/sorcerers/mages and one that is exclusive to warlocks because most people play just like you, they keep it simple. All we need is a second sheet with all the names of the spells and a check mark box for selection.

No, I don't want check box sheets. Except for the hand to hand stuff. Mainly because most of my players and I tend to invent new spells, circles, etc. So, discription work much better.

Is this the sheets you mean? http://www.palladium-megaverse.com/cutt ... heets.html That wouldn't work well in my games. Sorry.
Actually, yes it is. I just wish that they had a sheet for magic users that was similar to the warlock for use.
pblackcrow
Champion

They do!!! It's on there.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

I stand corrected.
pblackcrow
Champion

Here we go...As an example of what I consider a nice character sheet. Although, it is for D&D...and doesn't have the space for a mount, familiar, spell discription, fill-in, or the like. But I must say, it is VERY well planned out. And I am just using it as an example!

http://www.dragonsfoot.org/files/pdf/an ... ooklet.pdf
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

pblackcrow wrote:Here we go...As an example of what I consider a nice character sheet. Although, it is for D&D...and doesn't have the space for a mount, familiar, spell discription, fill-in, or the like. But I must say, it is VERY well planned out. And I am just using it as an example!

Personally I think that there is too much space in that sheet.
pblackcrow
Champion

Zenvis wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:Here we go...As an example of what I consider a nice character sheet. Although, it is for D&D...and doesn't have the space for a mount, familiar, spell discription, fill-in, or the like. But I must say, it is VERY well planned out. And I am just using it as an example!

Personally I think that there is too much space in that sheet.

I would rather have space to write stuff down it then fool with reading my writing when it's small.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
pblackcrow
Champion

Hey guys. Check out: http://www.pdfill.com/ They have a great, simple, and blessedly CHEAP program for the creating and editing of PDF files. I am going to enjoy the full version come friday! That you count on!
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

pblackcrow wrote:Hey guys. Check out: http://www.pdfill.com/ They have a great, simple, and blessedly CHEAP program for the creating and editing of PDF files. I am going to enjoy the full version come friday! That you count on!
Awesome!! I am going to play with this toy.
pblackcrow
Champion

Zenvis wrote:
pblackcrow wrote:Hey guys. Check out: http://www.pdfill.com/ They have a great, simple, and blessedly CHEAP program for the creating and editing of PDF files. I am going to enjoy the full version come friday! That you count on!
Awesome!! I am going to play with this toy.

LOL...have fun with it. I certainly am!!! I am wanting to do a character sheet for PFRPG, some gaming shields, and things for quick reference for both GM and players.

Peace and namaste,

Shannon.
Ankh, udja, seneb.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Okay, think I'll be trying this too. I've been looking for something like that for years! Good find blackcrow!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
pblackcrow
Champion

Cool! Thanks. And yes it is a superb find!
Ankh, udja, seneb.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”