How to defeat creature who are able to teleport

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadyslug
Hero
Comment: Ding ding ding there goes my wagon...

Unread post by Shadyslug »

You just have to play the "counter target creature's ability" instant...
Often times, we must atone for the sins of the father...
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: How to defeat creature who are able to teleport

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

AP78 wrote:I was wondering how is it possbile to defeat a Dragon hatchling who has the ability to teleport 5 miles away.

Whenever there is a battle and he starts to get hurt, all he has to do is teleport away from the battle. since he is able to bio regenerate his MDC by the minute there seems really no way to stop him unless he fails his teleport % which i believe is 40-50%

The teleporting is a natural ability so negate magic would not work. it seems to me that beings that have the natural ability to teleport have a perfect way of escape

Any thought's or opinion about this topic

Thanks

Kill it before it can run away.
Since there's a good chance of failure on each teleport attempt, you might be able to get several good attacks in even if it starts trying to flee immediately.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Crazy Lou
Hero

Unread post by Crazy Lou »

Shadyslug wrote:You just have to play the "counter target creature's ability" instant...

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Killer Cyborg wrote:
AP78 wrote:I was wondering how is it possbile to defeat a Dragon hatchling who has the ability to teleport 5 miles away.

Whenever there is a battle and he starts to get hurt, all he has to do is teleport away from the battle. since he is able to bio regenerate his MDC by the minute there seems really no way to stop him unless he fails his teleport % which i believe is 40-50%

The teleporting is a natural ability so negate magic would not work. it seems to me that beings that have the natural ability to teleport have a perfect way of escape

Thanks

Kill it before it can run away.
Since there's a good chance of failure on each teleport attempt, you might be able to get several good attacks in even if it starts trying to flee immediately.

But suppose were talking an YAAI here?
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit. -- Seneca The Younger
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Forcing a dragon to run away is a win in my book :-) . . . expecially if your the agressor, it's hard to defend this village full of defenseless D-Bees when your 5 miles away from the fight.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Semisonic9 wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:But suppose were talking an YAAI here?

Why do you think those things live so long? :D

Some would argue that Anti-Magic Cloud disables such an ability in CoM and Supernatural Beings, but there's no canon answer on it as far as I'm aware. Ditto Soul Drinking. Some would argue you cannot teleport through a force field, as well. Ultimately, all such judgements are up to the GM.

That's the biggest problem I've ever had with YAAIs! Not that they're too tough to take out, or anything like that, nor their apparent omnipresence, but the fact that they're always cowardly little buggers that just vanish if things aren't going their way! I realize that any remotely intelligent being would do that, but I think that they shouldn't have it as a natural ability. They should have to use the magic same as anyone else (and they've always got enought PPE to pull it off w/o help)
"If it's dangerous, do it. If it's suicidal, do it NOW!" -- Graffiti painted outside a Juicer Bar

asajosh
Hero

Unread post by asajosh »

Thanks

I had the same problem with a player dragon in my campaign. Check this thread it may help ya:
viewtopic.php?t=76858&highlight=
Be at peace, my people. All shall be looked up.
Carl Gleba wrote:My original line of thinking goes along with asajosh...
Carl

Jesterzzn wrote:So just remember that its just the internet, and none of our opinions matter anyway, and you'll do fine. :)
Shiva7
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shiva7 »

Use a depleted uranium round loaded with a tracking device, thus when he gets hit, he cannot Bio-regenrate the bullet out and you can track him instantly. Send the high speed aircraft after him to keep the pressure on.
ImageImage
"My saddle-horse has died!"
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

No idea what that is.

GAAO.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Just FYI, a dragon's attempt to teleport only counts as 1 melee action, not 2-3 or anything like that - it's far faster than any teleport spells. However, they can only attempt it once per melee round, whether it succeeds or fails. So if your dragon character tries to teleport away, and fails, they're stuck in the fight for at least that melee round.

There's really no easy way to force the dragon character to stay; it's probably easier as some others have mentioned to come up with ways to motivate the dragon to stay, either to protect his friends or others, losing a share of the loot for running, getting lost or separated from the group, etc.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Well, in RUE it describes the teleport ability under natural abilities of the Cat's Eye dragon, page 159, and says every other melee round. Dragons & gods goes into a lot more detail however, and says what I said earlier, under natural abilities of most dragons, page 12.
Crazy Lou
Hero

gadrin wrote:YAAI = Yet Another Alien Intelligence (I think) :P

Hit the nail on the head.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Crazy Lou wrote:
gadrin wrote:YAAI = Yet Another Alien Intelligence (I think) :P

Hit the nail on the head.

The same applies.
If you're badass enough that an AI is going to run from you instead of squish you like a bug, then you're badass enough to kill it before it can get away.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Have someone cast the spell Dimensional Barrier.

It sets an area where NO form of teleportation or dimensional travel will work.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Crazy Lou
Hero

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Have someone cast the spell Dimensional Barrier.

Is that in BoM? If so, page # pls, and if not then book and # pls. Thanks much!

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I believe it is in Rifts England and of course Book of Magic. I am not sure though if it prevents non-dimensional teleportation.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

I fear bringing this up - the topic has spawned so many heated debates in the past, but here goes:

Fight it in the back of a van.

As long as the van has the typical modifications that an adventuring party would use (MD armor plating, environmental seals to keep out gasses and radiation), the dragon can't TP out.
"I have to applaud you for doing all that math :D" - Nekira Sudacne
Crazy Lou
Hero

Necrite wrote:I fear bringing this up - the topic has spawned so many heated debates in the past, but here goes:

Fight it in the back of a van.

As long as the van has the typical modifications that an adventuring party would use (MD armor plating, environmental seals to keep out gasses and radiation), the dragon can't TP out.

Um, I'd just like to know your source that supports this claim.

Necrite
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Necrite »

I can't remember the place it's stated, and can't find it right now, but it's stated that magic can't go through something full environmental; for example, if you cast fireball while in full environmental armor, it would leave your hand, hit the inside of the suit, and go off, inside the suit. Some people take this to mean that you can't teleport into/out of a full environmental suit/armor/vehicle. Much evidence has been dredged up to both support and disprove the theory, but nothing canon has ever been said on the subject.

I've been away for a while, and still use the old books. If RUE, or some other new book resolves this, please, fill me in.
"I have to applaud you for doing all that math :D" - Nekira Sudacne
Crazy Lou
Hero

Necrite wrote:I can't remember the place it's stated, and can't find it right now, but it's stated that magic can't go through something full environmental; for example, if you cast fireball while in full environmental armor, it would leave your hand, hit the inside of the suit, and go off, inside the suit. Some people take this to mean that you can't teleport into/out of a full environmental suit/armor/vehicle. Much evidence has been dredged up to both support and disprove the theory, but nothing canon has ever been said on the subject.

I've been away for a while, and still use the old books. If RUE, or some other new book resolves this, please, fill me in.

Well, I agree that you probably couldn't magically teleport out of something environmental, but this is a natural ability, not a magical spell.

Also, w/o reading all that evidence from both sides I can't really take a side, but I think that an environmental vehicle might be a bit different from armor, though in what ways I'm not sure. I guess I'd never considered that as the issue had never presented itself to me in a game.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Necrite wrote:I can't remember the place it's stated, and can't find it right now, but it's stated that magic can't go through something full environmental;

No, it doesn't.

Some people take this to mean that you can't teleport into/out of a full environmental suit/armor/vehicle.

Some people are wrong.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Crazy Lou wrote:
Necrite wrote:I can't remember the place it's stated, and can't find it right now, but it's stated that magic can't go through something full environmental; for example, if you cast fireball while in full environmental armor, it would leave your hand, hit the inside of the suit, and go off, inside the suit. Some people take this to mean that you can't teleport into/out of a full environmental suit/armor/vehicle. Much evidence has been dredged up to both support and disprove the theory, but nothing canon has ever been said on the subject.

Well, I agree that you probably couldn't magically teleport out of something environmental, but this is a natural ability, not a magical spell.

Actually, it's a supernatural ability.

Also, w/o reading all that evidence from both sides I can't really take a side, but I think that an environmental vehicle might be a bit different from armor, though in what ways I'm not sure.

viewtopic.php?t=24975&highlight=teleport

Have fun. :)

Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Y'know, I was about to give up without a good answer to this one, but then I remembered the magic bullet: Force Fields! I'm pretty sure in the Phase World book it mentions that force fields block most anything up to and including Phase Adept powers and Temporal Magic.

Now obviously this is gonna be limited in its applications (the evil demon in its evil demonic lair probably won't just sit around playing nintendo when a bunch of engineers spend a week or two assembling a humungous network of Naruni force fields around its lair), but I'm sure there's situations where force fields could make the difference between driving off a critter who can teleport and nailing a critter who can teleport.
Crazy Lou
Hero

Killer Cyborg wrote:Actually, it's a supernatural ability.

Really? I always thought the dragon description listed "Natural Abilities" not "Supernatural Abilities." *being facetious*

But seriously, how come a CoM has a SN ability? Why isn't it just "natural" or instinctive (w/o being of "SN" origin) to the CoM?

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Crazy Lou wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:Actually, it's a supernatural ability.

Really? I always thought the dragon description listed "Natural Abilities" not "Supernatural Abilities." *being facetious*

But seriously, how come a CoM has a SN ability? Why isn't it just "natural" or instinctive (w/o being of "SN" origin) to the CoM?

As you say, they're Creatures of Magic.
What comes naturally to Creaturs of Magic?

Magic.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Rallan wrote:Y'know, I was about to give up without a good answer to this one, but then I remembered the magic bullet: Force Fields! I'm pretty sure in the Phase World book it mentions that force fields block most anything up to and including Phase Adept powers and Temporal Magic.

It's been heavily debated, and I forget what the consensus ended up being.
One camp thought that force fields blocked all forms of teleportation, the other thought that they only blocked phase teleportation.

Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

Anyone or thing that can teleport can teleport out of an environmental van provided they have either line of sight or a good idea where they're going.

I'm on the side that where Phase World is discussing force fields preventing teleportation, it is specific to the phase teleportation of the prometheans, not every form of teleportation under the sun - especially not magic forms of teleportation.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Talavar wrote:Anyone or thing that can teleport can teleport out of an environmental van provided they have either line of sight or a good idea where they're going.

That's pretty much true of any teleportation.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Crazy Lou wrote:

No, it's in Library of Bethrald
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Colt47
Champion
Comment: Keeper of the Pies

Unread post by Colt47 »

How to defeat a creature that can teleport? Buy some D-shackles. Rifts world book 2: Atlantis. Commonly used against Transdimensional enemies. All you have to do is get them onto whatever it is that has the teleport ability.
Norbu the Enchanter: Hello friends! What brings you to my shop today?

Big Joe: We need some things enchanted to take a beating...

Norbu: Perhaps you want your weapons enchanted? Or maybe a shield or sword? I can even enchant armor!

Big Joe: We need you to enchant this Liver, this heart, and these kidneys.

Norbu: :shock:
AllMightyRCB
Wanderer

Unread post by AllMightyRCB »

The hatchling dragon only starts with a 28% chance to teleport, only gains 2% per level, and can only try it once every other melee round (page 100 original RMB). It has never been a problem for me since it ain't very likely it would secceed anyways. If somehow it is too hard to kill, just get a couple of people to simultaniously shoot it in the head with anti tank laser rifles.
Talavar
Hero

Unread post by Talavar »

I don't think the original poster has ever been interested in how to kill the dragon hatchling in one hit, but in how to keep it engaged as part of the group, and not teleporting off on its own at the first sign of trouble. Massive missile volleys and simultaneous head shots seem counter-productive.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

How about having a Shifter in the group?

Their d-sensing ability allows them to sense and usurp control of dimensional anomalies (including teleports).

If so, he could make the dragon reappear in front of the party's GB/Borg/'bot etc for a quick smack down, the dragon being unable to attempt another teleport for another round - the Shifter would be waiting of course.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Another option: cast 4-D transformation on yourself and him. Damn foo' can't escape you now unless he's got the innate ability to teleport to another dimension. Physically throwing him into the Astral Plane and ganking him there is another viable option.

Also (and I'm surprised nobody came up with this so far), there's always overwhelming force. With enough guys carrying big enough guns, you can hopefully frag your teleporty monster before it has time to realise that it's screwed and try to escape.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Rallan wrote:Y'know, I was about to give up without a good answer to this one, but then I remembered the magic bullet: Force Fields! I'm pretty sure in the Phase World book it mentions that force fields block most anything up to and including Phase Adept powers and Temporal Magic.

It's been heavily debated, and I forget what the consensus ended up being.
One camp thought that force fields blocked all forms of teleportation, the other thought that they only blocked phase teleportation.
Oh my gosh... was that the old teleport thread I just heard being mentioned??? :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Talavar wrote:Anyone or thing that can teleport can teleport out of an environmental van provided they have either line of sight or a good idea where they're going.

That's pretty much true of any teleportation.
Really... I thought there were some arguments on if anyone could teleport out of a cardboard box. :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rift Jumper wrote:Magic, magic, magic. Everyone turns to magic. I'm telling you, a well planned missile strike, and old scaly will be a smear. Nobody gives credit to the fact that tech can do just as good a job if applied properly. No, it's all "spell this, and super/natural abilities that". Hit him with a freaking missile strike before the overgrown reptile can get a second chance to move. Enough concentrated Artillery and eventually the most hardened magical target will be forced to buckle. This is sadly, why Tolkeen failed. They believed magic was the end all, be all of power. When properly applied, technology won and magic failed.

Stop relying on spells to do the work, and don't try to make him stay. Let him run. Give him a second to think he's safe. Then let fly the missiles and pursue. Close on him and keep up the sustained bombardment as long as possible. Slippery them scale backs may be, but they can't run forever.
You do realize that both large scale missile strikes and artillary barages have issues. First most missiles (as the RUE states) don't have guidance so it essentially the same as lobbing artillery rounds. If the missiles don't then I wouldn't expect the artillery rounds to be an excalibur round. Even if they did have guidance and could home in on a single living being you can tell when an artillery round is coming in and you can see the missiles. They may travel fast but how long does it take for teleport?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Crazy Lou wrote:

No, it's in Library of Bethrald
Munchkin Queen don't you mean Bletherad... unless your talking about another book? :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Rallan wrote:Another option: cast 4-D transformation on yourself and him. Damn foo' can't escape you now unless he's got the innate ability to teleport to another dimension. Physically throwing him into the Astral Plane and ganking him there is another viable option.

Also (and I'm surprised nobody came up with this so far), there's always overwhelming force. With enough guys carrying big enough guns, you can hopefully frag your teleporty monster before it has time to realise that it's screwed and try to escape.

You do realize most dragons have dimensional teleport as an innate ability right?
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Rallan wrote:Another option: cast 4-D transformation on yourself and him. Damn foo' can't escape you now unless he's got the innate ability to teleport to another dimension. Physically throwing him into the Astral Plane and ganking him there is another viable option.

You do realize most dragons have dimensional teleport as an innate ability right?

Which is why, if you're going the magic route, a Shifter is probably one of the best options - overide the beastie's ability to make a sneaky get away.
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
Crazy Lou
Hero

sHaka wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Which is why, if you're going the magic route, a Shifter is probably one of the best options - overide the beastie's ability to make a sneaky get away.

I havn't read the shifter tele-overide thing in a while, but didn't it need to be a magical spell, not just any old teleport?

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Semisonic9 wrote:

Why do you think those things live so long? :D

Some would argue that Anti-Magic Cloud disables such an ability in CoM and Supernatural Beings, but there's no canon answer on it as far as I'm aware. Ditto Soul Drinking. Some would argue you cannot teleport through a force field, as well. Ultimately, all such judgements are up to the GM.

As far as Hatchlings go, they're not that hard to take down. I wasn't able to find any text on it, but, at the very least, I would make an attempt cost several melee actions. I think any of the teleport spells take at least 3, so 2-3 seems reasonable, and I may apply penalties if the character tries to TP around a lot without knowing where they're going.

If you really just want to spice things up for a PC who's using the ability a bit too much, have him run into a LLR of comparable power (perhaps a supernatural being himself) and have him hitch-hike the teleport and keep attacking. :demon: If he survives, perhaps next time your dragon will be more inclined to stay with the group.

Dragon- "Oh, I've teleported away to safety with my last 50 MDC! Yay me for another clever strategy"
*LLR casts Dessicate the Supernatural*
Dragon- "Crap! Time to re-roll!"

~Semi

PS- The other answer is to simply have your dragon get lost one time, especially if he flies far away. A gaming session spent watching other people play while your PC rolls Land Nav for an hour or two can suck.
[Humourous Side Note]

Per the Spell description, "Dessicate the Supernatural" works ONLY on True Supernatural creatures, not Creatures of Magic or normal mortals.

Sounds to me as if it's time for the MAGE to roll another character.

[/Humourous Side Note]
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Thanks
That's why "God" (Kevin) writes Dragons to be easily susceptible to a beserker rage of sorts were all that they can think of is to attack the Enemy and NOT try to escape.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
cornholioprime
Palladin
Well, mostly.....

I'm on the side that where Phase World is discussing force fields preventing teleportation, it is specific to the phase teleportation of the prometheans, not every form of teleportation under the sun - especially not magic forms of teleportation.
Actually, the Force Fields of Phase world are specifically described as stopping ALL forms of teleportation......provided the field in question surrounds the creature on all sides, apparently.

(Rifts: Phase World, pages 14 and 16)

Good luck surrounding an entire Dragon's Lair in all three dimensions, though. :D

Return to “Rifts®”