My first Character

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Re: My first Character

Unread post by Natasha »

I like playing trolls. I've played a troll merc, sailor, and peasant.

I suggest Ranger though. Because that's what I would choose right now. He'd be quiet and serious, wearing furs, and one hell of a tracker.
GreenGhost
Adventurer

Unread post by GreenGhost »

I like the Troll Mercenary idea. I've made them for NPCs in the past. :-)
Semper Fi
OOH-RAH!
0331/0321
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

That could be a cool concept. You should post what you come up with.

I don't think of it because pallys are highest noble class in the land. Trolls don't really fit that. Well, they don't in my Palladium World.
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

I've never even considered a Troll Paladin. :eek: I usually have them as Barbarians or Mercs.

You really should post up the character here, I'd like to see what you come up with as well. Is he going to be good or evil-ish? I like NPC anyi-palladins, but not PC ones myself...
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

Yeah a troll Palladin would be funny like the guy trying to be a samurai in seven samurai. You could dress him up in banged up steel plates that look awful like he's wearing a metal trash can and have him try and smite evil. Course he might not be able to find any except for some raccon family or something. Make it sort of Shrekish
You kill my dog I'ma slay yo cat-Flava Flav, Terminator X to the Edge of Panic, 1988
A man's gotta know his limitations-Dirty Harry, Magnum Force, 1973
No good deed goes unpunished-Clare Booth Luce
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

One of my players played an Ogre Palladin. We figured he was dedicated to a dark god (can't remember which one he went with) and this evil religion had its dark knights. Assuming the Troll is evil he could be a first of his kind and this religion is starting to spread.

If he's good well, I'm sure your GM will have a heck of a time coming up with something. Whatever the case have fun :ok:

On a totaly unrelated note I played a Kobold wizard. That was a blast. He would talk all kinds of crap to the bigger races (he disliked Coyles) and when they tried to attack he would bring down the lightning or rise up to their size with a size of the behemoth :D

Carl
ImageImage
Veknironth
Hero

Unread post by Veknironth »

Well, given the societal limitations of Trolls I wouldn't go with a Palladin. Where's he going to be trained? Most Trolls are bullies and it would be some exceptional Troll that can accept training from some puny human or elf. Also, what Troll nobility is there? What noble house would accept a troll as a member of it's family?

I think the Troll lends itself much more to the mercenary/soldier class. Still a class that wants to mix it up but isn't worried about things like Chivalry or any other code. If you want to go with the exceptional Troll who is unlike it's brethren (there's a novel concept) then go all the way and make it a witch hunter or Undead Hunter. The people who train them would most likely be less likely to look at a creature's outward appearance than the normal Palladins.

-Vek
"Have fun dominating with those insane stats and that extra attack!"
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

One thing I allow is for priests and others to learn armor use as skills (mail and plate being separate skills). A troll witch with a pact of power is incredibly frightening.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

I'd have to go with a troll necromancer myself. First, it's something I've never done, which is becoming increasingly rare these days. And second, the idea of something so... huge... being able to raise dead and then join them in the fight. Talk about chilling!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I have always been against people coming up with a background to explain something that is generally against the setting. If you want a combat monster, just make the Troll a Gladiator or Assassin. A Troll Gladiator would be interesting. Basically, the Troll is starting off with such a huge advantage in hand to hand combat there's no Men-at-Arms OCC that will prevent the character from dominating. As Mark suggested, a Troll Witch would be almost incomprehensibly powerful, especially at first level. I'd never allow it as a GM. I mean, that's a villian, not a first level PC.

If you're making a Troll character, just make him a total brute and have a blast wading into combat. The character's story will be told as the campaign progresses.

-Vek
"The Troll could ride a pencil."
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

What's a blade priest?
Veknironth
Hero

Well, I'm not quite sure how you end up with 8 attacks at Level 2 but I don't have my books in front of me. As I think about it, it's 3 from H2H assassin, 3 for being a troll, and one for boxing. What did I miss?

Anyhow, are the stats pre-skill selection? If not, as aI suspect since you haven't selected an OCC, you can really boost them by taking physical skills. You can put your strength up a great deal and you can increase your PP and PE as well. Blade priest is an interesting idea, although I thought there were some restrictions for non-giants. Again, no books.

For pure combat, go with the Assassin. For pure cheese factor, go with the Priest. For ultimate cheese, go with a mind mage.

Whatever you do, be prepared for your character to be targeted first all the time.

-Vek
"Never trust a mind mage."
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

The Last Darkness wrote:
Natasha wrote:What's a blade priest?

Its a special type of priest in the Mount Nimro book. They are a bit more combat oriented and follow the giant gods.
I really didnt like any of the gods they follow and some of the restrictions.
Oh, I'll have to see how they compare to First edition priests.
GA
Explorer
Comment: Master of Dirk Diggler Style

Unread post by GA »

Last Darkness I would have went with Panath, god of Assassins. He's aberrant and not really evil, likable, and all the Pantheon of Rurga goes to him for advice and aid. Doesn't really fiti into the whole Palladin thing though.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Actually, I'd agree that Panath is the way to go. He'd think it was pretty cool to get a Palladin worshipping him. I think he would look at it as moving in on Rurga's territory, which he would find appealing.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”