North American Power Armor

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: North American Power Armor

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Buy the Merc Ops book, it contains 5 new power armors from Chipwell and Northern gun. The new Samson missile man is one tough cool armor, and the offerings from Chipwell are actually pretty reasonable.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Always liked the Defender and the Juicer-Killer from WB10.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

NG Gladius is one of my personal favorites. Attach some rocket boots or a jet pack and you are good to go.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:NG Gladius is one of my personal favorites. Attach some rocket boots or a jet pack and you are good to go.

More proof that Taylor is the brains of the Brandon and Taylor team.

As if reading Brandon's posts was not proof enough.

:P
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
sennin
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by sennin »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:NG Gladius is one of my personal favorites. Attach some rocket boots or a jet pack and you are good to go.

I will have to agree on the Gladius. With all the money that you save over buying another PA, you can mod the Gladius to be pretty nasty.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

sennin wrote:

I will have to agree on the Gladius. With all the money that you save over buying another PA, you can mod the Gladius to be pretty nasty.

The Challenger by Chipwell is like a poor-man's Gladius. It is also a pretty decent suit, though. A little less MDC, and unfortunately it runs on batteries, but 90,000 credits for power armor is hard to beat. :bandit:
Dog_O_War
Champion
Comment: I'ma fight you, Steve!

Unread post by Dog_O_War »

Buying Chipwell is like shopping at a thrift-store when you make 50k a year. Have some pride; buy a suit you can feel somewhat dignified wearing.

SAMSON Redhawk is a decent suit; good melee attack and it flies (instead of the super-leap the regular SAMSON has).
The SAMAS variants were mentioned, but really - beyond the big three, there isn't any other companies really. You've got SAMAS (from the Black Market or the CS), you've got Northern Gun, and you've got Titan Robotics; All other suits are either foreign or TW (of which I don't consider a real suit of PA; you could add speed and strength spells to a suit of fullplate and call it PA as far as a magician is concerned).

Chipwell is a waste of time and money; you're better off duct-taping laser-rifles together to form a super-gun than you are buying Chipwell.

Boo Chipwell.

(I don't like Chipwell incase you couldn't guess)
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
My masters were full of cheesecake
The answer to all your "not realistic!" questions. FIREBALL!
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Titan PW from Merc Opps also.

Sucks. Titan Power armor from rifter #4. Official and awesome.
rat_bastard wrote:

More proof that Taylor is the brains of the Brandon and Taylor team.

As if reading Brandon's posts was not proof enough.

I wish I could light you on fire with my mind.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Dog_O_War wrote:Buying Chipwell is like shopping at a thrift-store when you make 50k a year. Have some pride; buy a suit you can feel somewhat dignified wearing.

SAMSON Redhawk is a decent suit; good melee attack and it flies (instead of the super-leap the regular SAMSON has).
The SAMAS variants were mentioned, but really - beyond the big three, there isn't any other companies really. You've got SAMAS (from the Black Market or the CS), you've got Northern Gun, and you've got Titan Robotics; All other suits are either foreign or TW (of which I don't consider a real suit of PA; you could add speed and strength spells to a suit of fullplate and call it PA as far as a magician is concerned).

Chipwell is a waste of time and money; you're better off duct-taping laser-rifles together to form a super-gun than you are buying Chipwell.

Boo Chipwell.

(I don't like Chipwell incase you couldn't guess)

I LOVE Chipwell.
I think battery powers power armor is da bomb. I love attacking players with a 15mm machiene gun with Ramjet round and having htem say OH ****!. I love the down and dirty barley adequate keep it running wiht bubble gum and prayers post apoclolyptic setting. When i run rifts Wellington industries and GAW are some of the top manufacturers in the area, bacause they are affordable. NG is like Audi and colition is like Porche real nice stuff everybody wants but few can afford.

Chipwell rules!!
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
Dog_O_War
Champion

Greyaxe wrote:I LOVE Chipwell.
I think battery powers power armor is da bomb. I love attacking players with a 15mm machiene gun with Ramjet round and having htem say OH ****!. I love the down and dirty barley adequate keep it running wiht bubble gum and prayers post apoclolyptic setting. When i run rifts Wellington industries and GAW are some of the top manufacturers in the area, bacause they are affordable. NG is like Audi and colition is like Porche real nice stuff everybody wants but few can afford.

Chipwell rules!!

Wellington and the GAW are two entirely different producers from Chipwell. Wellington makes some of the best equipment in the books; the WI-SAWS and the Super-Heavy Missile launcher, the WI-Plasma Flame-thrower - these gems are amoungst the best available to purchase. Even their new laser-weapons are decent - at the very least on par with CS weaponry. And the one L-rifle they make looks like an AK - the most superbly designed and manufactured weapon to date. Not the most advanced, but besides the Browning .50 cal. machinegun (which doesn't earn the title "the Best" because it is too heavy to effectively use for an infantry soldier) this weapon is competitive and well-rounded. Having a gun that looks like it really adds points.

Meanwhile the GAW offers the most cost-effective military equipment on the market. A tank costs you 100,000 for a piece of equipment the equivalent of most light "heavy" PA (like the SAMAS or SAMSON), except where you lose the mobility, you gain both potential fire-power and weight capacity, as well as long-range field capability.

Chipwell is definitely not in the same classification as these two companies.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I wish I could light you on fire with my mind.

Fortunately, Taylor is the brain power.

It's like a lighter without any flint, really. :D
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Greyaxe
Champion

Unread post by Greyaxe »

Dog_O_War wrote:
Greyaxe wrote:I LOVE Chipwell.

Chipwell rules!!

Wellington and the GAW are two entirely different producers from Chipwell. Wellington makes some of the best equipment in the books; the WI-SAWS and the Super-Heavy Missile launcher, the WI-Plasma Flame-thrower - these gems are amoungst the best available to purchase. Even their new laser-weapons are decent - at the very least on par with CS weaponry. And the one L-rifle they make looks like an AK - the most superbly designed and manufactured weapon to date. Not the most advanced, but besides the Browning .50 cal. machinegun (which doesn't earn the title "the Best" because it is too heavy to effectively use for an infantry soldier) this weapon is competitive and well-rounded. Having a gun that looks like it really adds points.

Meanwhile the GAW offers the most cost-effective military equipment on the market. A tank costs you 100,000 for a piece of equipment the equivalent of most light "heavy" PA (like the SAMAS or SAMSON), except where you lose the mobility, you gain both potential fire-power and weight capacity, as well as long-range field capability.

Chipwell is definitely not in the same classification as these two companies.

You are correct of the three Chipwell is certainly inferrior, I was only comparing them in the area of Cost effective solutions. Whether you like Chipwell or not it is cost effective and easy to Soup up with its low tech offerings.

I agree Wellington Industries has some of my favorite stuff going. the SR-15 you speak of is my favorite combo rifle, huge SDC damage per sniper shot and adequate MD burst capabilities with Ramjets.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Mark Hall wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote:I wish I could light you on fire with my mind.

Fortunately, Taylor is the brain power.

It's like a lighter without any flint, really. :D

ooooh Burn!

pun intended.

"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Chipwell if your luck's down and fortune turned against you...By a Chipwell suit and put the rest your money into some heavy one-shot-one-kill weaponry....But you're going to be relying on SKILL and INTELLIGENCE to stay alive and kill enough big bounties to get yourself a better suit that affords you a margin of error...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

taalismn wrote:Chipwell if your luck's down and fortune turned against you...By a Chipwell suit and put the rest your money into some heavy one-shot-one-kill weaponry....But you're going to be relying on SKILL and INTELLIGENCE to stay alive and kill enough big bounties to get yourself a better suit that affords you a margin of error...

Or a touch of techno-wizardry. Replace the batteries with TW batteries, and you can kill people with your mind.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Mark Hall wrote:
taalismn wrote:Chipwell if your luck's down and fortune turned against you...By a Chipwell suit and put the rest your money into some heavy one-shot-one-kill weaponry....But you're going to be relying on SKILL and INTELLIGENCE to stay alive and kill enough big bounties to get yourself a better suit that affords you a margin of error...

Or a touch of techno-wizardry. Replace the batteries with TW batteries, and you can kill people with your mind.

Heh...wouldn't that just frost Chipwell's jets to learn his armors are a favorite for conversion among Technowizards starting out.. :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

NOrthern Gun is usually a good bet. Their RedHawk is a great one too.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

That has some onteresting PAs. Just have to deal with the CS problem. But knowing them, they'll be able to sell their materials here on Rift's earth again.
Last edited by Aramanthus on Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
Dog_O_War
Champion

Evil Psychologist wrote:
Dog_O_War wrote:Chipwell is a waste of time and money; you're better off duct-taping laser- :-P rifles together to form a super-gun than you are buying Chipwell.

You joke, but don't underestimate. Jury-Rigging+Duct Tape is arguably one of the most munchkin combinations available.

I don't joke though. I've mentioned it as one of the greatest things a Headhunter can do with all his starting weapons.
Ork Supakustom Mastablasta ftw.
Thread Bandit
I didn't say "rooster"
I am a King.
I am a Renegade.
I am a Barbarian.
I cry the howl of chaos.
I am the dogs of war.
MikelAmroni
Hero

Unread post by MikelAmroni »

Ah you gotta love the 40K Orks, Duct tape, baling wire, and an anatomy that allows them to regrow or replace missing fingers when it all goes wrong. If you ever thought a Diesel engine couldn't run a aerospace fighter, you're wrong! heh.

Back on target though, Actually the Chipwell ones don't need to be TW modified except in their batteries. A single TW could keep a company of specially modified Chipwell armored troopers going for a long time, and add a few basic add ons. In fact I am so going to make up a merc group that uses magic and chipwell armor to equip their troopers, replacing the power supplies with TW devices that produce electricity.

There is a Chipwell Vampire hunter Armor in the Cyberworks article in Rifter 4 (with Picture - its basically the Challenger from Mercenaries with add ons), along with some cool ones from Titan.

Plus no one has mentioned the New Navy and Tritonian Power Armors from Underseas, not to mention the generic ones mentioned in the human equipment section, all of which are sold in North America. The Defender and Juicer Killers from Juicer Uprisings were mentioned, The War Chief and Iron Bear from Spirit west bear mentioning, though the War Chief is a SAMAS take off. The kittani have one of their power armors they sell to anyone who will buy (they have a version of the Hopper PA from Triax and the Manling PA as well (Serpent PA with legs).
"Be strong and do as you will. The swords of others will set you your limits." (Marauders of Gor, p.10)

ImageImage
Jefram_denkar
Rifts® Trivia Runner Up

Unread post by Jefram_denkar »

Chipwell can be dangerous if youy have an operator or TW handly. because the suits are so cheap you can modify for a very low cost.

I got board one day during a campaign and munchkins out a Chipwell warmonger.

Added armor plate
Used a salvaged nuke plant
Added Samas style write missile launchers
added several sensors
and to top it all off
Naruni Super heavy forcefield and plasma cartrage machine gun

needless to say I had a lot of book thrown at me for doing that.

:lol:
I've got an advanced pre-rifts energy rifle, A soul drinking rune blade, living bio armor, and a hover truck full of nukes. So why do I feel under equipped for this??? (Sir Joe the Gardner 7th level Ogre Keeper of the garden on his first encounters with the Mechanoids)

Return to “Rifts®”