Master Vampire Vs. Mummy Immortalus

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Master Vampire Vs. Mummy Immortalus

Unread post by MrMom »

Could a Mummy Immortalus ever be stronger than say a master vampire?
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Re: Master Vampire Vs. Mummy Immortalus

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Tentatively, yes, but I'm away from sources. IIRC, Mummy Immortalus have the ability to continue growing and learning, while Master Vampires tend to be limited to level gains in vampire.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I was also thinking that since Vald Tegor is considered a god could a Mummy Immortalus ever aspire to godhood?
Library Ogre

MrMom wrote:I was also thinking that since Vald Tegor is considered a god could a Mummy Immortalus ever aspire to godhood?

Vald Tegor became a deity under some fairly unique circumstances, so not likely.

However, there's also Osiris to contemplate.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

Is Osiris a mummy or just a dead god?
Reagren Wright
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Osiris is cut up into 14 pieces so no he's not a mummy god, at least not in Palladium Fantasy.
In actual Egyptian Mythology yes. If the vampire can't use mind control on him, I don't see
what exactly a vampire can do against a mummy immortalus. Again the mummy
immortal probably knows Globe of Daylight as well as other use magics, and in theory you could
have a mummy immortalus who was a necromancer, then the vampire is in big trouble.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Okay, this is a vampire thread, so I have to put in my two-cents worth! The one factor that I think everyone is overlooking thus far is that the Master Vampire can call on whatever lesser vampires he's created to help him peel off the mummy's band-aid's. Add that to the already not inconsiderable power of a Master Vampire, and I think the Mummy has his work cut out for him. Now, that's not saying the vampire couldn't be beat by the Immortalus, I think it would just depend on circumstances, just like any other encounter within the games mechanics. It would all come down to the roll of the dice.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

True, NR, but the mummy might also have minions. Depending on his OCC or level, you could see tons of animated dead, golems, or elementals.

All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Which just goes to prove my other point. It all basically comes down to circumstance. I think these two monsters were designed to be close to equal. It could really go either way, depending on how the dice fell! ;)
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

That would be interesting to see. Two massive Undead armys going at each other.
J. Lionheart
Rifter® Contributer

Unread post by J. Lionheart »

MrMom wrote:That would be interesting to see. Two massive Undead armys going at each other.

Exactly! And I would wait on the sidelines with my crew until they were finished, and then kill the extremely weakened victor!

DIE (again), UNDEAD!
Jeremiah Lionheart (Evan Cooney)
Only person ever to kill another player in KS's "Secret Enemy" game.
"Julius is convinced Evan Cooney was born to play Weasel Man." -Kevin
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

So isn't this like some cheesy 1950's horror movie starring Christopher Lee, Boris Karloff and maybe Abott and Costello?
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

So... who's Abbot? And who's Costello?

"Heeeyyyy Aaaabbbbooot!"

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:So... who's Abbot? And who's Costello?

"Heeeyyyy Aaaabbbbooot!"

Dick Van Patton: I hate that guy.

All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Ok, let's look at some numbers:

Attributes: The Master Vampire is almost certain to have a higher IQ, ME, and MA. Chances are very good their PS and Spd will be higher. PE could go either way; Mummy Immortalus have a slight lead, there. Advantage: Vampire.

Durability: A vampire with average rolls will begin below the MI in HP, but will overtake him. A vampire is well below an MI in SDC. A vampire also does not have a natural AR; 60% of attacks will fail to affect the MI for the first 100 points, then 45%. Both are about equally immune to weapons, but MI have a slight advantage in that their weapon only needs to be wood or silver, not magic or holy (though magic or holy weapons will work for them, too). A vampire's immunity to fire, however, opens up some interesting combat options for them. I'd give the edge to the MI, but it's a slight one, and diminishes with experience.

Skills: Edge to the vampire, easily. MI are completely frozen at what they were in life, and may even be -20% or -40% for their various skills, if they rolled poorly enough on the mummy making spell. Vampires, on the other hand, lose a few points off of every skill (no OCC skill bonuses), and can gain new skills every century or so. Advantage: Vampire.

Magic: Assuming both were of equal OCC before hand, the advantage goes to the MI. The vampire is far more limited in PPE (only 10-60), and is explicitly unable to learn new spells and the like. The MI is lower in PPE than they were in life (-20%), but can, depending on their OCC, learn new magic... a wizard could learn new spells, a summoner or diabolist could learn circles.

Psionics: Almost definitely, the advantage is with the vampire. The vampire may have lost some ISP in the transition, but almost definitely gained some psionic powers. The MI will lose half of his ISP.

In a fight, both sides have advantages. The MI is free to break off combat and hide out in the daylight... it will hurt, but it won't cause any real damage. The vampire, on the other hand, can set fire to everything and more or less be certain to win. Also, barring an extremely powerful MI, they've got their own escape options (turning into a mist or an animal). I think I would give the advantage to a Mummy in a direct conflict, but it wouldn't be a big one, and the vampire can quickly turn the tables if he can spend a couple night rustlin' up some vampiric allies. The real advantage of the Mummy is that all of a vampire's powers and weaknesses are fixed... unless he knew some magic in life, the vampire is more or less the same as every other vampire, ever. The Mummy, on the other hand, has a far less extensive list of weaknesses and powers inherent to them. While they're not as powerful, they're also more variable, and that can be a BIG advantage.

All Palladium Articles
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

I was thinking of building a Mummy Immortalus God and have it be in direct conflict with Vald-tegor. The Mummy Gods home plane would always be bathed in light and basicly a giant desert with a Massive River running through the middle. As players and GMs what do you guys think of the idea?
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

Another interesting question. Would a Master Vampire be able to use there mind control on the Mummy?
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

I think he'd have more than just Vald Tegor to contend with. Utu and possibly Set and or Anubis might frown on a new "death" god showing up. But that would just serve to add spice to the setting! I say write it up, and post it here when you're done! :D

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

MrMom wrote:I was thinking of building a Mummy Immortalus God and have it be in direct conflict with Vald-tegor. The Mummy Gods home plane would always be bathed in light and basicly a giant desert with a Massive River running through the middle. As players and GMs what do you guys think of the idea?

I love it :D

Please expand upon it :)
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Master Vampire vs Mummy Imortalas.

I'd give to the Imortalas.

They still know all thier magic from previous life, and have the PPE to cast it. Dependent upon which spells they knew durring thier prior life, they could win .. or they could win extreamly easily.

Tho I think it would be a close fight. (again dependent upon which spells the Imortalas knew durring thier previous life)
Library Ogre

Mummy Deity... why?

I always got the feeling that Mummies were rare, and not particularly feared... sure, you worry if there's a mummy right here in front of you, but in the abstract, most people don't worry about it. Vampires, on the other hand, take over the living. They kill your family, and raise them as horrible mockeries of themselves. Mummies... occasionally cast a really long ritual.

So, to an extent, a deites of vampires makes sense. Someone that average people pray to for protection, and someone vampires revere as the greatest of their kind. Mummies alsoways seemed more self-contained to me.

All Palladium Articles
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

Why create a mummy Deity. Just because it is different and you could have fun with it. Like say some one recovers all of Osiris parts and trys to bring him back only it doesn't work out the way they thought and now he is a Mummy God and hates both the Light and Dark gods of the Egyptian pantheon.
Library Ogre

MrMom wrote:Why create a mummy Deity. Just because it is different and you could have fun with it. Like say some one recovers all of Osiris parts and trys to bring him back only it doesn't work out the way they thought and now he is a Mummy God and hates both the Light and Dark gods of the Egyptian pantheon.

See, that would be cool. Just "He's a god... and he's a mummy! It's wacky!" is not something that inspires me.

All Palladium Articles
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

MrMom wrote:Why create a mummy Deity. Just because it is different and you could have fun with it. Like say some one recovers all of Osiris parts and trys to bring him back only it doesn't work out the way they thought and now he is a Mummy God and hates both the Light and Dark gods of the Egyptian pantheon.

Why would he hate them? More like they would hate him since he would then be overlord of the world and underworld while being neither one.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

He would hate the gods of darkness because they killed him and he would hate the gods of light for not doing everything in there power to bring him back. Oh well it was just a thought no big deal.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark my not understand your thought processes for creating this deity, but I think he would be one of the first to agree with me saying don't let a few naysayers shoot down your creativity. Whether we agree with you or not, if you like the idea, run with it. Maybe it'll work for you. I tend to do what I want with my ideas, pretty much no matter what other people think. So I say go for it.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Does the mummy know globe of daylight? :clown:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
MrMom
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by MrMom »

If the mummy is really the God Osiris reborn then I would say yes he knows Globe of Daylight and a few other spells a bit more powerfull.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Northern Ranger wrote:Mark my not understand your thought processes for creating this deity, but I think he would be one of the first to agree with me saying don't let a few naysayers shoot down your creativity. Whether we agree with you or not, if you like the idea, run with it. Maybe it'll work for you. I tend to do what I want with my ideas, pretty much no matter what other people think. So I say go for it.

You just spoke nearly a verbatium speach about myself :P

I will pose questions to posters on the threads .. to see thier reaction .. Wether or not I agree with them I use the material for and against my debats in games at times.

It helps to throw major curveballs at my PC's ..

:D
UR Leader Hobbes
Adventurer

Unread post by UR Leader Hobbes »

I suppose it could happen... I mean imagine if a Mummy Imortal made a pact with The Dark from Nightbane.. :twisted:

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”