Forsaken Mage O.C.C.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Soldier of Od
Hero

Forsaken Mage O.C.C.

Unread post by Soldier of Od »

The new O.C.C.s in MoM – hmmm... well, they’re okay. One thing that immediately sprang to mind when reading the text for Forsaken Mage was that this would be perfect for rolling up that elusive Dwarf wizard that many players are hankering for. Like many, I think that it should be possible for the (very) occasional evil dwarf to decide to buck tradition and social prejudices, risking expulsion and/or death to learn magic, bringing back the glory days of the empire! After all, the war was an awful long time ago, even for elves and dwarves. I think at least some dwarves would be thinking ‘what’s so bad about this magic stuff anyway?’ Especially as they ‘love using magic weapons and items’. What hypocrisy – isn’t it the rune magic that they are supposed to have the most problem with? The problem with allowing dwarf wizards as I see it is abuse of the idea by players; I agree that such an event would be a very rare exception to the norm, and a dwarf wizard in every group there should not be. The forsaken mage seemed like a good way of introducing such an idea with an element that makes him different from the average wizard. Then I came to the section on ages - humans are rarely accepted as pupils over the age of 21, and over 40 for elves and dwarves! Hooray, canon evidence that dwarves can become Forsaken Mages! Dwarf wizards here we come!
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 61 – Purebred animal templates for Mutants in Avalon (After the Bomb)
Rifter 77 & 78 – Khemennu, City of the Eighteen Cosmic Gods (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – The Prophet O.C.C. (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 83 – Half-Ogres (Palladium Fantasy)
Rifter 84 – Spellbound O.C.C. (Nightbane)
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: Forsaken Mage O.C.C.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I think that should include trolls as well, then, since their description says they seldom dabble in magic but are not excluded from using it.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Soldier of Od
Hero

Maybe I'm missing something, but trolls have always been able to use magic anyway, right? I'm not sure what point you are making, sorry.
Rifter Contributor:
Rifter 85 – Relics of Empire: Elven Cities of the Old Kingdom (Palladium Fantasy)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Soldier of Od wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but trolls have always been able to use magic anyway, right? I'm not sure what point you are making, sorry.

Simply that they fit well into this category.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
azazel1024
Champion
Comment: So an ogre, an orc and a gnome walk in to a bar...

Unread post by azazel1024 »

I wouldn't simply say evil dwarves. You can't honestly tell me there hasn't been a person out there so consumed with curiosity that HAD to do/learn/whatever the thing was no matter how 'nice/wonderful/good' a person was. Pandora's box rings a bell to me.

At any rate, I could see the occasional and rare good/selfish dwarf who would learn magic even if it meant expulsion/revulsion/exclusion from his own people and even knowing what kind of evil they had unleashed in the past. After all, they aren't doing it for evil, they are doing it cause they just can't slake their thirst to find out about it, how it works, how to use it and maybe they'll try and use it for some good along the way. After all, there are non-dwarven mages out there who are pretty good and do good with this magic stuff.

I'd think the numbers would be exceedingly low, like .0001% of all dwarves study magic. Of course evil ones I'd think would be more likely then non-evil ones.
-Matt
Soldier of Od
Hero

Quote: Simply that they fit well into this category.

Oh I see. Yes, I agree. :-D

And good point about good dwarves, az.
Rifter Contributor:
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Munchkin Slappin GM wrote:Any race fits good for th Forsaken Mage IMO. The dwarf would make a good one though, lots of playable backstory on why they became a mage. I could evan see the OCC like a self taught savant.

I disagree. Some races are far less likely to have trouble finding a teacher for learning magic, Elves and Humans, specifically. I see it far more suited for so-called monster races.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

It,s a good way to get Magic from Rifter in the Palladium world.

Any Dwarf that use magic will try to keep ther anontmity and hide ther real Identity to protect his or her relatives or say ther not a real Dwarf but a curse turn them into one.

Find a Hidden Alchemist,s lab would be a good start.

What Rifter,s magic do you want to see become canon?
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

gaby wrote:What Rifter,s magic do you want to see become canon?

Song Magic but in a re-written format by myself :wink:
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
azazel1024
Champion

Song magic sounds like some sort of bardish creation :-D

Never trust singers.
-Matt
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

azazel1024 wrote:Song magic sounds like some sort of bardish creation :-D

Never trust singers.
-Matt

Quite to the contrary, I think Bardic Magic would be a good addition.
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

I've already made one, a human whose estranged assassin father (one of my mains called Reaper) slayed his master before his training could be completed. So now he uses what he's learned since then to hunt his father, whom he plans to kill in retaliation for ruining his magical training. Oh, what a tangled web I weave!
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Northern Ranger wrote:I've already made one, a human whose estranged assassin father (one of my mains called Reaper) slayed his master before his training could be completed. So now he uses what he's learned since then to hunt his father, whom he plans to kill in retaliation for ruining his magical training. Oh, what a tangled web I weave!

That is a really awesome idea. :ok:
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Northern Ranger wrote:I've already made one, a human whose estranged assassin father (one of my mains called Reaper) slayed his master before his training could be completed. So now he uses what he's learned since then to hunt his father, whom he plans to kill in retaliation for ruining his magical training. Oh, what a tangled web I weave!

That is a really awesome idea. :ok:

I do have those from time to time! But thank you for noticing! :-D
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
azazel1024
Champion

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
azazel1024 wrote:Song magic sounds like some sort of bardish creation :-D

Never trust singers.
-Matt

Quite to the contrary, I think Bardic Magic would be a good addition.

I agree completely. Heck in some ways I'd love to see the Bard O.C.C. either re-written or have a bardic mage class added. More of an emphasis on entertainment and healing then combat, but maybe a few combat oriented spells in there (but very few). Also some songs simply require a song, other's require a musical insturment with different ones providing bonuses to different song types (or some song require an instrument to cast). Maybe a flute/fife adds a +1 to spell strength for healing songs, maybe a lute/guitar adds +1 to combat spell strength and pipes or fiddle add +1 to enchantment/mind manipulation spell types. Maybe magical instruments that have additional bonuses on top of that or something of the sort.
-Matt
Hound
Wanderer

Unread post by Hound »

I would LOVE for the Ludicrous Magic to become canon- though I know it fits better in modern settings. Barring that, the Blade magic is great for the Fantasy setting and the Blood Magic from the early Rifters makes for a great enemy caster.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”