best d-bee for a magic user/fighter?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Re: best d-bee for a magic user/fighter?

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

Well, the Cernum is a MD D-Bee, which isn't allowed by the books.

So looking at SDC races, the Aardan Tek or Noli might make interesting choices. Both can be found in D-Bee's of North America.

The Wolfen from Palladium Fantasy should make for a good Battle Magi as well.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

I did the math and Snellig Spinne makes the deadliest battle mage ever.

Extra attacks

four arms that act simultaneously

personal forcefield

huge starting prowl

auto dodge

venomous bite

burrowing ability

incredible physical stats

climbing ability
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

gitsui wrote:the what? what book it that in? is it a rcc?

its a race and its in D-Bees of north america.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

gitsui wrote:So would they be the most typically associated with battle msgi or are there any others?

Actually humans make up 60% and Elves make up 20% of all Battle Magi. The last 20% is various other races.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

octuman

but I'd say just play a basklisk
they are fun to play
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Talus Battle Magus
"Can you kill me?! With those feeble arms?!" - Ogami Itto
"Bodycount's in the house!" - Ice T
"The Great Destroyer is back again!" - Duo Maxwell
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

ImperiumKnight wrote:Only prob with the Spinne is though that the description under O.C.C.s says no psionic or magic O.C.C.s allowed.

It doesn't say that, at least not regarding magic.

It does mention that there are no CURRENT and KNOWN spell casters among the Spinne.

On the other hand, I was wrong about the Noli as well.
Last edited by Dustin Fireblade on Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

gitsui wrote:So the Aardan Tek and the Devilman are the only two valid options so far then?

The Spinne is available, so is the Wolfen and Talus as mentioned above.

The Squilb, Septumran Witch Wolves might make for interesting choices.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
ImperiumKnight wrote:Only prob with the Spinne is though that the description under O.C.C.s says no psionic or magic O.C.C.s allowed.

It does mention that there are no CURRENT and KNOWN spell casters among the Spinne.

it does not say that either.

Starke tend towards techno wizards Snellig towards active mages.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

rat_bastard wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:

it does not say that either.

Starke tend towards techno wizards Snellig towards active mages.

there are no known mages among the Spinne.

What exactly was I wrong about? Unless you mean I didn't provide the whole thing about magic, which I didn't really see as relevant since I was simply correcting another poster that the Spinne could have magic OCC's.
Danger
Champion
Comment: The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, "You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done." - George Carlin

Unread post by Danger »

Great thing about the Talus is that they can have Super Powers also. This, paired with their racial Martial Art that gives them Auto-Dodge, is what makes them the undisputed champions.

I believe one of our GM's is still having nightmares about the Talus Battlemage abomination I helped a friend make. I suggested the Super Powers for him:

Major Power - APS: Metal
Major Power - Sonic Flight
Minor Power - Healing Factor

In the end, I think my friend's character had over 1100 MDC, was impervious to cold, took half damage from fire, 1/3rd effect from poisons/toxins/drugs, with somewhere in the neighborhood of a +10 save vs magic & psionics (Nearly Impervious), +5 (or more) Auto-Dodge, and 6 attacks/round at lvl 1. Oh yeah, and he had Superhuman strength, and could fly at Mach 1.

It was scary. :D
"It's mine you hear? Mine ALL MINE Get back in there. Down Down Down! Go Go Go! MINE MINE MINE!!!" --Daffy Duck
Nekira Sudacne wrote:Sorry, the Anime genre and the Furry genre don't usually mix, except where Catgirls are concerned :D
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

True Atlantean could also be good, or even an elf.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Captain Shiva
Adventurer
Comment: In sheer daemonic strangeness I am unparalleled

Unread post by Captain Shiva »

I would go with the Jeridu from LOTD,book one. Six arms, full coordination with all of them,gets paired weapons as a racial ability,and are automatically proficient with daggers.Plus,they get auto-dodge.Add on the Battle Magus abilities,and your booty kicking capabilities will increase exponentially. For some reason, I keep picturing one with a Wilk's Laser Sword in each hand.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Obligatory Mulka comment.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Two come to mind. One, the Klied from Skraypers. A naturally super powered being, it says they would be fascinated with magic and could learn how to wield it. The other from Land of the Damned 1, since the Jeridu was mentioned above, I have to nominate the Kildred. They're S.D.C. beings, but they have both high levels of P.P.E. in addition to being able to select a magic class, and psionic abilities as well as being naturally charismatic and able to gain followers. The biggest problem would be their vulnerability to rune magic, other than that, go to town. :D
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Subjugator wrote:Obligatory Mulka comment.

Oh sure, nothing like the omnipotent child beings with unlimited P.P.E. to spice things up at level 1!
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Steeler49er
Hero
Comment: AKA-"Steeler49er"

Steeler49er is to the BOARDS, what C.J. Carella and Jhonen Vasquez are to RPG's & Underground Comics. You know! BIG FAT NUCLEAR DA-BOMBS!"

Unread post by Steeler49er »

hEH?
Forget the Magus magical classes and go strait fer the Magically Powered Gizzards... Play a Lizard Mage!
They got KICKen magic stats (as long as you go by the original Rifts First Conversion Book), they even get an extra spell attack or two per melee!!!

Teh hee, Subjugator called Mulka :-o
Love those lil guys! Endless PPE, and ISP, knows Every spell made and not made, has every Psionic & Super power (even the ones made by Izcer :shock: )... 100's of Invulnerable B@D @$$ lil Gary Colmens, you can't go wrong!
Image...."SMILE YOU S.O.B"....Image

Problem is I used Placebos "Running Up that Hill" to get Catherine Wheels "Black Metallic" to get Monorals "KIRI" to get Dan Balans "Crazy Loop" out of my head in the first place.
londonbaz

Unread post by londonbaz »

Aviane from Dbees of NA make for a pretty decent Battle Magus
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

There have been changes to a few races. In D-Bees of North America, it says the Lyvorrkians are now M.D.C., but in Vampire Kingdoms, they are S.D.C. beings with 6D6X100 S.D.C.! I'd rule that the change may have something to do with all the magic released during the Siege on Tolkeen altering certain races with further mystical energies. On that note, if you want a crazy but fun Battle Magus, pick a Lyvorrkian! Slightly nuts, high damage capacity and the ability to control reptiles and lizard-like beings like dinosaurs? Forget riding an Automaton, get yourself an Alien Rex!
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Dewtani. Nothin spells lovin' like a crazy warrior mage.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

Skraypers also says that a Klied could come to Rifts Earth and learn magic. Super Energy Expulsion: Electricity, radar, energy resistance, superhuman/robotic strength and natural flight? I'd hate to see a high level Klied Battle Magus coming at me! He'd be shooting lighting without casting spells or spending P.P.E. or I.S.P.!
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Danger wrote:Great thing about the Talus is that they can have Super Powers also. This, paired with their racial Martial Art that gives them Auto-Dodge, is what makes them the undisputed champions.

I believe one of our GM's is still having nightmares about the Talus Battlemage abomination I helped a friend make. I suggested the Super Powers for him:

In the end, I think my friend's character had over 1100 MDC, was impervious to cold, took half damage from fire, 1/3rd effect from poisons/toxins/drugs, with somewhere in the neighborhood of a +10 save vs magic & psionics (Nearly Impervious), +5 (or more) Auto-Dodge, and 6 attacks/round at lvl 1. Oh yeah, and he had Superhuman strength, and could fly at Mach 1.

It's his own fault for not reading the rulebook carefully;especially the part where it says that Battle Magi are restricted to mortal sdc beings.
Have you ever been thrown out of a Rifts game for being smarter than the Game Master?
Captain Shiva
Adventurer

Now that I think about it,a Gromek Battle Magus might be nice. Natural Winged Flight? Oh,yeah.
Danger
Champion

Unread post by Danger »

Captain Shiva wrote:
Danger wrote:Great thing about the Talus is that they can have Super Powers also. This, paired with their racial Martial Art that gives them Auto-Dodge, is what makes them the undisputed champions.

It's his own fault for not reading the rulebook carefully;especially the part where it says that Battle Magi are restricted to mortal sdc beings.

The Talus is both mortal and SDC.
londonbaz

Captain Shiva wrote:Now that I think about it,a Gromek Battle Magus might be nice. Natural Winged Flight? Oh,yeah.

I still think an Aviane would be better in this role...
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

There's a Gromek Battle Magus in Sot: Final Siege. I'd like to see a Avianne mage go head to head with it.
everloss
Explorer

Unread post by everloss »

Steeler49er wrote:hEH?
Forget the Magus magical classes and go strait fer the Magically Powered Gizzards... Play a Lizard Mage!
They got KICKen magic stats (as long as you go by the original Rifts First Conversion Book), they even get an extra spell attack or two per melee!!!

what changed from the first conversion book? i haven't seen Lizard Mages statted other than the 1st CB.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

everloss wrote:
Steeler49er wrote:hEH?

what changed from the first conversion book? i haven't seen Lizard Mages statted other than the 1st CB.

under the old rules, you only got 2 spells per melee, no matter how many attacks you had (and if you were casting high level spells, that went down further). the exact interaction between attacks per round and spells per round was never clearly defined either (much like the current archery and targeting rules that are still around, if i'm not mistaken).

in any event, the point was that they needed the extra spell per round to be explicit, whereas in RUE anyone with 3 attacks per round and the ability to cast spells can potentially cast 3 spells per round. so a version updated to RUE would presumably not have the bonus spell per round.
londonbaz

DtMK wrote:There's a Gromek Battle Magus in Sot: Final Siege. I'd like to see a Avianne mage go head to head with it.

Being AFB at the moment, is the Avianne just wildly outmatched? I could have sworn that my recollections made it a faster, nastier combatant.

Return to “Rifts®”