Triax 2? Any love for the Gargoyle Empire?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Triax 2? Any love for the Gargoyle Empire?

Unread post by Seneca »

In Aftermath the gargoyles got the raw end of the deal with their war front against the NGR stalling, long time partners the Brodkil slapping them in the face, and Pharoh Rama Set plotting to double cross the Emperor if they defeat the NGR.

So far from what I have heard here on the forums in Triax 2 the NGR has CS joint ops, a New Navy allaince, and new toys galore. Did the gargoyles get anything? What about the Nautilor aliens and their allaince? Any new Kittani toys for the gurgoyles? Stats for a typical gargoyle roost? Even an average breakdown of a gargoyle force? :?
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Re: Triax 2? Any love for the Gargoyle Empire?

Unread post by AzathothXy »

Seneca wrote:Did the gargoyles get anything? What about the Nautilor aliens and their allaince? Any new Kittani toys for the gurgoyles? Stats for a typical gargoyle roost? Even an average breakdown of a gargoyle force? :?

No. Nada. Nothing.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Zerebus wrote:The Gargoyles get the honor of having Triax designing and deploying countless and insidious plots to destroy their eggs while they're still in the hatcheries.

Spoiler:
Oh, and the German Freddy Krueger messing with their heads.

:badbad: Yeah the Gargys get no love, but I think they were pretty tough to begin with.
Consider that on Palladium the were tough but not so tough that an adventurer w/a great sword couldn't fight them, yet on Rifts, where they're as tough or even tougher than some NGR bots and tanks, they suddenly need power armor and large robots of their own?
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

The hatcheries are described
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Kahuna wrote:I've started to notice a human superiority happening lately. Not to be negative and perhaps I'm missing something, but the Coalition and the NGR are certainly doing well. Have either of them really suffered any setbacks? I'm not advocating their destruction by any means, but let's shake things up bit. I wouldn't mind seeing the Gargoyle Empire mount a major offensive that would leave the NGR reeling and barely hanging on for the next 2-3 years.

Funny thing is ..

I'd much rather see something happen to the CS .. which leaves them barely hanging on for the next 2-3 years ...

The NGR have been in that situation and have thrived already ..

Lets just see how the CS would do in that very predicament .. :twisted:
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

I think the NGRs win over the Gargoyles was much more believable then the Coalitions win over Tolkeen
keir451
Champion
Comment: We came, We saw, We kicked it's butt!!-P. Venkman
My real physics defeats your quasi physics!!!

Unread post by keir451 »

Black Ops wrote:The thing I am wondering about is how much will it affect the Troops they (the Coalition) send oversees.
I think that there is a significant cultural shock involved in the Rifts World having them suddenly exposed to the NGR.

That depends upon how much the CS soldiers interact w/the German soldiers and the civilians of the NGR. If the CS forward bases are set up so they are seperate from the NGR bases and have their own entertainment centers, then there will be little in the way of cultural contamination. In some ways it may not even matter if there is, as many soldiers may remain loyal to the CS anyway.
I was in the Navy and wound up being stationed in Japan for 2 years and tho' I had ships liberty after 4pm when we were in port,
I spent more time on ship performing my duties and at sea than I did on shore. So while I picked up bits and pieces of Japanese culture, it was only bits and pieces not the whole picture.
For a forward deployed Army base in hostile territory there will be even less time for fun and games except what the base offers (M.A.S.H the tv show is one example tho' they were technically behind their lines).
My real world Physics defeats your Quasi-Physics!!!
Bubblegum Crisis, best anime/sci-fi/ for totally hot babes in Power Armor.!!!!
Magic. Completely screws logic at every opportunity. (credit due to Ilendaver)
Natasha
Champion
Comment: Doomed to crumble unless we grow, and strengthen our communication.

Unread post by Natasha »

Some revolutionaries would claim loyalty to their country as the reason why they revolt. ;-)
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

The Gargoyle Empire has had it too good for too long. Triax 2 just swings it back in the favor of the NGR. There is still plenty of room for things to swing back to the Gargoyles or to the Brodkil. The Brodkil and Mindwerks are bigger threats than anyone seems to realize. If anyone is going to permanently crush the Gargoyles, it will be the Brodkil.
The Galactus Kid

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:The Gargoyle Empire has had it too good for too long. Triax 2 just swings it back in the favor of the NGR. There is still plenty of room for things to swing back to the Gargoyles or to the Brodkil. The Brodkil and Mindwerks are bigger threats than anyone seems to realize. If anyone is going to permanently crush the Gargoyles, it will be the Brodkil.

Ditto
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Are there any expansions on Mindwerks being worked on?
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
The Galactus Kid

There were rumors of an eastern Europe book in the works, and Mindwerks will be discussed in the Sovietski Sourcebook mainly because they lay claim to one of the Sovietski's fortress cities and the Sovietski strongly disagrees.

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

Discussed doesn't sound like new goods.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Mallak's Place wrote:I think the NGRs win over the Gargoyles was much more believable then the Coalitions win over Tolkeen

Yeah. Especially because Tolkeen have a reduiculous amount of troops for it's size (check it out in SoT6 - and remember, thats only 47% of what they had). We are talking 50%+ of the population was in the damn army.

The NGR are face the horrors of the Sub-Demons...oooohhh. The weakest of all supernatural creature form a couple of "empires", and suddenly the NGR is beseiged.

Sorry, but the NGR has far more secure boders and infrestructure (sp?) than the CS. And they are facing "supernatural" creatures that may know a few earth warlock spells at the most. The CS, on the other hand, feuds with there own people (Free Quebec), and is beset by magic kingdoms that have more innate magical abilities in thier collective pinky, than the Gargoyal "empire" has combined.

So, when you look at it that way, you're right, the NGR's success is more believable.
Hystrix, the Post Killer, Destroyer of Threads
The Galactus Kid

Zerebus wrote:
The Galactus Kid wrote: Mindwerks will be discussed in the Sovietski Sourcebook mainly because they lay claim to one of the Sovietski's fortress cities and the Sovietski strongly disagrees.

Awesome. :D

I'm glad you like it. Its going to be pretty awesome.

Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Hystrix wrote:
Mallak's Place wrote:I think the NGRs win over the Gargoyles was much more believable then the Coalitions win over Tolkeen

Yeah. Especially because Tolkeen have a reduiculous amount of troops for it's size (check it out in SoT6 - and remember, thats only 47% of what they had). We are talking 50%+ of the population was in the damn army.

The NGR are face the horrors of the Sub-Demons...oooohhh. The weakest of all supernatural creature form a couple of "empires", and suddenly the NGR is beseiged.

Sorry, but the NGR has far more secure boders and infrestructure (sp?) than the CS. And they are facing "supernatural" creatures that may know a few earth warlock spells at the most. The CS, on the other hand, feuds with there own people (Free Quebec), and is beset by magic kingdoms that have more innate magical abilities in thier collective pinky, than the Gargoyal "empire" has combined.

So, when you look at it that way, you're right, the NGR's success is more believable.

This whole post makes me laugh ..

Tens of Millions of Mega Damage beings .. each more then capable of destroying Tanks single handedly .. That have the ability to turn into even more dangerous beings by turning into stone .. Cast spells .. who are again .. in the TENS OF MILLIONS ... (not tens of thousands)..

The CS was not .. "Beseiged" by Tolkeen .. it was Tolkeen who was besieged by the CS ..

The NGR has more secure boarders and infrastructer due to them being more advanced technologically then the Coalition, and being able to place an entire military army lvl force anywhere inside their boarders in literally minutes ..

The NGR has more success mainly due to the advanced Tech they themselves have created.. and continue to create ..

This guy's post makes me laugh ..
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Kahuna wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:The Gargoyle Empire has had it too good for too long. Triax 2 just swings it back in the favor of the NGR. There is still plenty of room for things to swing back to the Gargoyles or to the Brodkil. The Brodkil and Mindwerks are bigger threats than anyone seems to realize. If anyone is going to permanently crush the Gargoyles, it will be the Brodkil.

Perhaps it's in the way we play Europe. In trying to keep with the books, I didn't see a single city lost to the Gargoyle Empire, hadn't seen a single Triax factory razed, nothing other than this understood pressure the Empire put on the NGR. Again, perhaps I'm reading too little into the threat they posed and maybe I need to read about it again, but I just didn't see or feel it like I wanted to.

well, the gargoyle empire conquered most of europe as retribution for the Bloody Campaign (world book 5). They took over Zurich before the PA calendar had been established, which was a thriving human community (Sourcebook 3). And although it hasn't been expressly stated until now, it is reasonable to assume they destroyed the city of Amsterdam. Amsterdam was mentioned in the Rifts Main Book as a human city-state that was defended by the NGR, but when World Book 5 was released, we see that the Gargoyle Empire covered all of the Netherlands, Amsterdam included. Erin Tarn's information was out of date.
So the Gargoyles have had numerous victories over the years. Triax 2 gives them a few more, but the best victory goes to the NGR military (for now).
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Lenwen wrote:The NGR have been in that situation and have thrived already ..

Lets just see how the CS would do in that very predicament .. :twisted:

WB 10 gives you a pretty clear picture, of this very question actually. It stated something to the effect of the garg empire would have an upper hand simply because of numbers, so you figure CS would probably be in worse shape than NGR, but still holding their own.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
dark brandon
Knight

Lenwen wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Tens of Millions of Mega Damage beings .. each more then capable of destroying Tanks single handedly .. That have the ability to turn into even more dangerous beings by turning into stone .. Cast spells .. who are again .. in the TENS OF MILLIONS ... (not tens of thousands)..

The CS was not .. "Beseiged" by Tolkeen .. it was Tolkeen who was besieged by the CS ..

The NGR has more secure boarders and infrastructer due to them being more advanced technologically then the Coalition, and being able to place an entire military army lvl force anywhere inside their boarders in literally minutes ..

The NGR has more success mainly due to the advanced Tech they themselves have created.. and continue to create ..

Some points of note: Even the tiny flightless gargs have MDC bodies with about 100-400 mdc and all have SN strength. even the little ones can go toe to toe with some PA.

NGR has great tech and one factor that's benefiting them is their enemies. Gargs are very instinctual creatures, which is making it easier and easier for the NGR to develop tactics against them. One factor that doesn't seem to be taken into account is the gargs themselves. They have no formal structure. They don't develop new tactics or anything to really combat NGR. No new magics, no tech, no new psionics.
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Laux the Ogre wrote:Ok, I'm going to give some love for the Gargoyle Empire.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0-_u7tNmPY

Here is my love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygrEVnrg3Ic
The Nuclear Chaos
Anthar
Hero
Comment: Killer of threads.

Unread post by Anthar »

I'm lovin' the Gargoyle Empire, they give a Shifter access to awsome sub-demons which only cost half a slot for minion selection, are as strong as a tank and can pilot robots and power armor. Mwahaha!
"I love my dad because he is awesome."-My son.
Caution these rules are unclear and may be open to gross interpretation and out right misinterpretation. GM discression is strongly advised.
Seneca
Explorer
Comment: When choosing between two evils, I always pick the one I never tried before.

Unread post by Seneca »

I agree with this statement. The brodkil are the most underestimated group in Rifts. With the addition of psynetics, simvan shock calvary, and monster brodkil to the clans they could very easily take it to the gargoyles on more or less equal terms.

The Tolkeen Siege showed us what a group of Simvan on big critters with massive guns can do to an enemy, and Null-psyborgs could shut down any gargoyle mages or other spell casters in the gargoyle ranks. All the while monster brodkil duel in the skies with the winged garoyles as they are forced to dodge a ton of firepower from the ground pounders.

The Galactus Kid wrote:There were rumors of an eastern Europe book in the works, and Mindwerks will be discussed in the Sovietski Sourcebook mainly because they lay claim to one of the Sovietski's fortress cities and the Sovietski strongly disagrees.

Now this is awsome news. I always thought the Sovietski's cybornetics and tanks (the Groundthunder in particular) looked like something the brodkil would knock off or steal for their own. A massive artillery brodkil or slave borg seems in character for the subdemons too. They like firepower after all.... :lol:
What books I would like to see:
RIFTS-Japan 2, England 2, Africa 2, China 3, Lazlo (PLEASE!!)
Phase World- The Galactic Tracers Sourcebook
A RIFTS video game RPG/Shooter like Fallout 3
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

dark brandon wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Some points of note: Even the tiny flightless gargs have MDC bodies with about 100-400 mdc and all have SN strength. even the little ones can go toe to toe with some PA.

NGR has great tech and one factor that's benefiting them is their enemies. Gargs are very instinctual creatures, which is making it easier and easier for the NGR to develop tactics against them. One factor that doesn't seem to be taken into account is the gargs themselves. They have no formal structure. They don't develop new tactics or anything to really combat NGR. No new magics, no tech, no new psionics.

Yep. Apparently Lenwen failed to pick up on that little tid bit. Also, not quite tens of millions. And they arn't organized. The are poor tactians to say the least.

Hears some more stuff for Lenwn to "laugh" at. most gargoyals are fighting with their bear hand and primitive weapons. I'm sorry the only thing they have going for them is high MDC, which dosn't matter as the'd get slaughted my long range weaponry.

And a gargoyalite may have 400 MDC max, but it's not really it's slow, and have very limited combat abilities. They're just heavier targets.

Hey, I hated Tolkeen. However, they gave the CS a run for thier money with resourcefulness and great use of magic abilties. The gargoyals and brodkil have none of that... just sayin'.
dark brandon
Knight

Hystrix wrote:Yep. Apparently Lenwen failed to pick up on that little tid bit. Also, not quite tens of millions. And they arn't organized. The are poor tactians to say the least.

In small groups they work better. They are hunters and killers. That's why a small group of gargs were able to do what they did in Triax 2. They are good tacticians on a small scale. On a larger scale, they get poor. Their only tactic is to 'zerg rush' an enemy.

Hears some more stuff for Lenwn to "laugh" at. most gargoyals are fighting with their bear hand and primitive weapons. I'm sorry the only thing they have going for them is high MDC, which dosn't matter as the'd get slaughted my long range weaponry.

And a gargoyalite may have 400 MDC max, but it's not really it's slow, and have very limited combat abilities. They're just heavier targets.

And numbers. Having 400 MDC max isn't impressive if you don't have weapondry to back it up, but in this case, if you're awash in a sea of gargs, that's a lot of ammo you're going to burn up (mainly the Missiles which usually do the most damage), and you're relying on the weapon system on the PA to keep you alive (usually less damage, no Area explosions). This was the gargoyles biggest advantage, but with ways to get around them now (IE destorying hacheries), they are becoming less and less effective.
runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Unread post by runebeo »

I like how the first Triax book they were swarmed with millions of Gargoyles & Brodkil and it was titanic war that could go either way but sided nicely with the gargoyles. Now we check back and the NGR grown vastly with 90 million people and ready to wipe the gargoyles out. Seems like the NGR won a little too easy, as the Gargoyles are tough, regenerate, fly, have psionics, access to magic and near endless numbers using to evil millennium tree to portal in more. Thats the main thing I wish the book had covered, the NGR needs to capture or destroy that tree to really lock down the area. The gargoyle nation should have gotten some upgrades from Atlantis, just the difference of some radio jamming devices could made this war winnable. A few more kinds of gargoyles like the demongoyle from Dark Conversion added to their ranks would have been nice to see.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
AzathothXy
Adventurer

runebeo wrote:I like how the first Triax book they were swarmed with millions of Gargoyles & Brodkil and it was titanic war that could go either way but sided nicely with the gargoyles. Now we check back and the NGR grown vastly with 90 million people and ready to wipe the gargoyles out. Seems like the NGR won a little too easy, as the Gargoyles are tough, regenerate, fly, have psionics, access to magic and near endless numbers using to evil millennium tree to portal in more. Thats the main thing I wish the book had covered, the NGR needs to capture or destroy that tree to really lock down the area. The gargoyle nation should have gotten some upgrades from Atlantis, just the difference of some radio jamming devices could made this war winnable. A few more kinds of gargoyles like the demongoyle from Dark Conversion added to their ranks would have been nice to see.

Well the European Gargoyles are considered outcasts and rogues by their fellows(and Atlantis), so no gargoyle reinforcements would be coming. That's also why Atlantis didn't help with equipment. They only did so originally to keep things even, and interesting. Now they want to see the outcasts fall, and it's good ratings. The Demongoyles are loyal demonic beings and won't work with the GE.
The Nuclear Chaos
johnkretzer
Adventurer
Comment: Power gaming in Rifts is NOT hard or challenging. If you want to impress people with you power gaming skills try Toon

Unread post by johnkretzer »

Kahuna wrote:I guess what I'm trying to say is that these grand human nations that I thought were barely hanging on seem to be quite dominant and the monstrous civilizations seem to be really the losers out there. I guess I'd like the world to be a bit more dangerous and darker than it is headed towards. When you stop fearing what's out there do you start losing your edge?

Actualy I have to say North America dominated by the CS is pretty much darker and dangerous than it is right now.
dark brandon
Knight

runebeo wrote: as the Gargoyles are tough, regenerate, fly, have psionics, access to magic and near endless numbers using to evil millennium tree to portal in more. Thats the main thing I wish the book had covered, the NGR needs to capture or destroy that tree to really lock down the area. The gargoyle nation should have gotten some upgrades from Atlantis, just the difference of some radio jamming devices could made this war winnable. A few more kinds of gargoyles like the demongoyle from Dark Conversion added to their ranks would have been nice to see.

Gargs are tough, but lack range. They can fly, but PA flies faster, better and higher. Gargs access to psionics are mediocre. And only gargoyle mages have access to magic. Garg regeneration is reduced (negated) by Depleted UR, and I know a few armors and weapons have them almost standard issue. Gargs are very instinctive creatures, and as such, against an opponent who can think things through, and diversify.

I'm not sure where the millenium tree is mentioned, can you post page number and book?
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

dark brandon wrote:In small groups they work better. They are hunters and killers. That's why a small group of gargs were able to do what they did in Triax 2. They are good tacticians on a small scale. On a larger scale, they get poor. Their only tactic is to 'zerg rush' an enemy.

How the hell are gargoyals good a small arms tactics? When did this happen? They are sub-demons primarly used by demon lords and such as cannon fodder. That's what they do. I fail to see how they are good a squad based combat, against a technologically superior force.

And numbers. Having 400 MDC max isn't impressive if you don't have weapondry to back it up, but in this case, if you're awash in a sea of gargs, that's a lot of ammo you're going to burn up (mainly the Missiles which usually do the most damage), and you're relying on the weapon system on the PA to keep you alive (usually less damage, no Area explosions). This was the gargoyles biggest advantage, but with ways to get around them now (IE destorying hacheries), they are becoming less and less effective.
[/quote]

True, but look at the NGRs numbers. A million or more combat robots (so even if they are ALL destroyed there isn't a single human life lost), who knows how many million infantry, cyborgs, power armor, robots, air craft etc... I guess if you are getting in close combat with gargoyals, good luck, but the NGR's gear out classes anything the gargoyals have. The MDC would get widdled donw... quick. This is why I say it is no surprise that the NGR has put the ever-lovin' smackdown on the gargs. They just aren't all that great.

Point is, numbers are ALL they have, and they are quickly losing that edge.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Hystrix wrote:
dark brandon wrote:In small groups they work better. They are hunters and killers. That's why a small group of gargs were able to do what they did in Triax 2. They are good tacticians on a small scale. On a larger scale, they get poor. Their only tactic is to 'zerg rush' an enemy.

How the hell are gargoyals good a small arms tactics? When did this happen? They are sub-demons primarly used by demon lords and such as cannon fodder. That's what they do. I fail to see how they are good a squad based combat, against a technologically superior force.

Sub-demon doesn't make them mindless, does it? They are intelligent creatures?

If our real life experience is any lesson, then it seems that waging war would have taught them a thing or two about the enemy they are fighting, and that technology doesn't necessarily win wars. That's been and is currently being demonstrated.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

Natasha wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

If our real life experience is any lesson, then it seems that waging war would have taught them a thing or two about the enemy they are fighting, and that technology doesn't necessarily win wars. That's been and is currently being demonstrated.

Nothing you said makes the gargs good a tatctics or small group tactics. Is it possiblre that gargoyals can use it effeciently? Yes. Is it the norm? No. Small group tactics is not a strenghth of the gargoyals.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Kahuna wrote:
Hystrix wrote:
Natasha wrote:
Hystrix wrote:

Nothing you said makes the gargs good a tatctics or small group tactics. Is it possiblre that gargoyals can use it effeciently? Yes. Is it the norm? No. Small group tactics is not a strenghth of the gargoyals.

Gargoyles are intelligent, sure. It appears though that they easily devolve into an instictive, animalistic approach to combat. Without a more powerful force, such as Emperor Z or demon lords to guide and direct they, they devolve into a more tribal and barbaric approach to combat.

Is it stated somewhere, this devolution?

An intelligent creature can learn. You put a goblin in enough fights he's going to become a better fighter. In game mechanics, that's expressed with experience levels. Why wouldn't the same be true of gargoyles?
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

I am of the mindset that Gargoyals just like humans can learn, teach .. and adapt to thier enviorments .. If this was not true .. then how and why are they the most successful out of every single demonic species from either Dyval .. and Hades ?

Gargoyals represent in my honest opinion the "Exeption" to the rule ..

The mere fact that Emp Z has them using tech .. and slowly learning it .. True as it maby only roughly 50'000 of them for now .. which is more now then at any time in their entire species history .. in all of the megaverse ..

Garg's are a subclass of demon's .. yet due to their rapid ability to reproduce and with the right garg to lead them .. they have created thier own empire .. (tho there are several Garg empires threw out the megaverse)

Gargoyals tho sub-Demons, are more then capable of learning .. teaching .. and adapting ..
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Unread post by Dustin Fireblade »

The Gargoyle Empire in Europe was a anomaly. It was created only because of a exceptional Gargoyle.

When the NGR pushed back hard, it pretty quickly fell apart, and the "empire" is now in three zones.
However they are only sub-demons, after all, and cannot be expected to maintain solidarity without a Demon Lord, or someone like Emperor Zerstrun, to lead them.
. Triax 2 pg 28

Same page goes on to talk about how it was a miracle for Zerstrun to have kept it together for as long as he did, because it goes against their nature. The current squabbling, rivalry and lack of unity is more typical of these sub-demons.

Zerstrun himself had to kill five of his own warlords (and their bands, and anyone else that spoke against him) because they were getting tired of his "planning" and they want action now!

That's the gargoyle - a creature that has a 2d6 score for IQ and relies as much on its instincts when push comes to shove. Sure they might get tricky enough to make combat interesting, but that's going to be about it.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:The Gargoyle Empire in Europe was a anomaly. It was created only because of a exceptional Gargoyle.

When the NGR pushed back hard, it pretty quickly fell apart, and the "empire" is now in three zones.
However they are only sub-demons, after all, and cannot be expected to maintain solidarity without a Demon Lord, or someone like Emperor Zerstrun, to lead them.
. Triax 2 pg 28

Same page goes on to talk about how it was a miracle for Zerstrun to have kept it together for as long as he did, because it goes against their nature. The current squabbling, rivalry and lack of unity is more typical of these sub-demons.

Zerstrun himself had to kill five of his own warlords (and their bands, and anyone else that spoke against him) because they were getting tired of his "planning" and they want action now!

That's the gargoyle - a creature that has a 2d6 score for IQ and relies as much on its instincts when push comes to shove. Sure they might get tricky enough to make combat interesting, but that's going to be about it.

I don't see how that's devolution into animal instinct combat.

If they are waging a guerrilla war, lack of unity is built into the system to some degree--partly for security reasons, partly for the nature of guerrilla warfare. Lack of leadership may be something the Germans can exploit, but if real life is any judge it's generally a bonus (that said, there probably needs to be some degree of cohesion) for the guerrillas. If we cast our eyes towards Afghanistan, the lack of Taliban unity means there's no chance for a NATO coup de grâce and there's nobody to negotiate with.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

If they are waging a guerrilla war, lack of unity is built into the system to some degree--partly for security reasons, partly for the nature of guerrilla warfare. Lack of leadership may be something the Germans can exploit, but if real life is any judge it's generally a bonus (that said, there probably needs to be some degree of cohesion) for the guerrillas. If we cast our eyes towards Afghanistan, the lack of Taliban unity means there's no chance for a NATO coup de grâce and there's nobody to negotiate with.

gargoyles don't fight that way intentionally. it's an evolutionary trait to make them better predators.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

gargoyles don't fight that way intentionally. it's an evolutionary trait to make them better predators.

Is that better, the same, or worse for the Germans?

Same or worse, I'd think.
RoadWarriorFWaNK

Natasha wrote:
RoadWarriorFWaNK wrote:

Is that better, the same, or worse for the Germans?

Same or worse, I'd think.

it's not good, that's for sure. :)
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Kahuna wrote:
Natasha wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:The Gargoyle Empire in Europe was a anomaly. It was created only because of a exceptional Gargoyle.

. Triax 2 pg 28

I don't see how that's devolution into animal instinct combat.

I think you might be quibbling over my word, devolution. Sorry, then let's call it instinct as that is stated in the books. Either way, it is in their nature to squabble, fight, back stab, and act now. As such they almost never maintain a real empire, kingdom, nation, or whatever word might be ok enough to use here. I think Dustin summed it up best.

Ok, I might be. Even in Dustin's sum I don't see anything that says they can't learn or improve as combatants. Unless there's a rule that they can't advance in experience levels and always have an equivalent experience level of one, I don't see how an impulsive instinct means they can't even organise and execute an ambush. I'll need to re-read the books but so far that's something I don't buy. Otherwise it'd be a turkey shoot. Although upon re-reading the books maybe I'll find that it is indeed a turkey shoot....

What percentage of warlords is five? I don't know, that's why I'm asking.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Natasha wrote:Ok, I might be. Even in Dustin's sum I don't see anything that says they can't learn or improve as combatants. Unless there's a rule that they can't advance in experience levels and always have an equivalent experience level of one, I don't see how an impulsive instinct means they can't even organise and execute an ambush. I'll need to re-read the books but so far that's something I don't buy. Otherwise it'd be a turkey shoot. Although upon re-reading the books maybe I'll find that it is indeed a turkey shoot....

Well they certainly could stage a ambush. Lots of predators do that. The problem then becomes if the predator doesn't kill it's target with that ambush, he goes hungry (or in this case gets itself killed).

Like I said, tricky enough to make combat interesting, just not much more than that.

I have no idea of how many five warlords is. In that regard the books are sorely lacking in detail. Triax 2 does mention that Zerstrun has at his command roughly 1 million combined gar/gur-goyles (and whatever else he might have had in the way of support)
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Natasha wrote:Ok, I might be. Even in Dustin's sum I don't see anything that says they can't learn or improve as combatants. Unless there's a rule that they can't advance in experience levels and always have an equivalent experience level of one, I don't see how an impulsive instinct means they can't even organise and execute an ambush. I'll need to re-read the books but so far that's something I don't buy. Otherwise it'd be a turkey shoot. Although upon re-reading the books maybe I'll find that it is indeed a turkey shoot....

Well they certainly could stage a ambush. Lots of predators do that. The problem then becomes if the predator doesn't kill it's target with that ambush, he goes hungry (or in this case gets itself killed).

So they're capable of executing complex combat missions on one hand but on the other they're just mindless meat-eaters who have no capability of grasping any concept other than predation or doing anything more complicated than predation? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Dustin Fireblade wrote:Like I said, tricky enough to make combat interesting, just not much more than that.

Interesting to the point of being unbeatable, perhaps?

Dustin Fireblade wrote:I have no idea of how many five warlords is. In that regard the books are sorely lacking in detail. Triax 2 does mention that Zerstrun has at his command roughly 1 million combined gar/gur-goyles (and whatever else he might have had in the way of support)

Ok.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Natasha wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:Well they certainly could stage a ambush. Lots of predators do that. The problem then becomes if the predator doesn't kill it's target with that ambush, he goes hungry (or in this case gets itself killed).

So they're capable of executing complex combat missions on one hand but on the other they're just mindless meat-eaters who have no capability of grasping any concept other than predation or doing anything more complicated than predation? That doesn't make any sense to me.

Well I certainly wouldn't equate a ambush as a complex battle mission.

Coordinating multiple simultaneous such attacks at the same time while jamming enemy communications to prevent back-up from arriving, then moving onto additional targets and attacking again simultaneously, with minimal casualties; that would be a complex battle mission. And again would need someone/thing other than a regular gargoyle so they don't fly off when they see something shiny.

And they are unbeatable only in the sense of superior numbers overpowering defenders quickly. Superior ranged weapons and tactics will carry the day.
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Natasha wrote:
Dustin Fireblade wrote:Well they certainly could stage a ambush. Lots of predators do that. The problem then becomes if the predator doesn't kill it's target with that ambush, he goes hungry (or in this case gets itself killed).

Well I certainly wouldn't equate a ambush as a complex battle mission.

Coordinating multiple simultaneous such attacks at the same time while jamming enemy communications to prevent back-up from arriving, then moving onto additional targets and attacking again simultaneously, with minimal casualties; that would be a complex battle mission. And again would need someone/thing other than a regular gargoyle so they don't fly off when they see something shiny.

And they are unbeatable only in the sense of superior numbers overpowering defenders quickly. Superior ranged weapons and tactics will carry the day.

I think an ambush is complex even for humans to plan and execute. It requires actionable intel unless you're willing to sit around and wait for the enemy to stumble across you. It requires patience to wait for the enemy is in the kill zone. It requires reconnaissance and planning to find and augment the kill zone. It requires understanding where you are and were your comrades are.

While such a mission as you described is certainly complex it doesn't mean that it's the only complex mission, and it certainly doesn't mean that it's necessarily how the gargoyles should be fighting the Germans. And I think that the gargoyles understand that at some level arrived to not through military ineptness.

As about ranged weapons carrying the day, I'll just let that be. I don't agree it's necessarily true, but I won't press it.
Dustin Fireblade
Knight

Natasha wrote:I think an ambush is complex even for humans to plan and execute. It requires actionable intel unless you're willing to sit around and wait for the enemy to stumble across you. It requires patience to wait for the enemy is in the kill zone. It requires reconnaissance and planning to find and augment the kill zone. It requires understanding where you are and were your comrades are.

Gary the Gargoyle flying around spots a NGR patrol, thanks to his really good hawk like vision.

He flies and tells his buddy Garfield the Gargoyle, eating lunch with a few other buds, Gallagher and Gabe.

Gary - "Let's get'em!"

Others - "Gargoyles SMASH!"

<all fly off and land a little ways ahead of the NGR patrol>

Gary - "We wait here. Smash'em up good!"

Others - Grinning and nodding their heads. "Gargoyles SMASH!"

Gary - "SHUT UP!! BE QUIET!!"

Others - "ok"

<little later the NGR patrol comes into view>

Gary - "CHARGE!!"

Others - "GARGOYLES SMASH!!"

Few minutes later, the NGR troopers have killed Garry and his buds. Thanks to their heavy armor, long range heavy weapons, and escorted by some Dyna-Bots the intrepid soldiers have carried the day.

Sgt. Heidenreich - "Stupid gargoyles...call it in and ask command for extraction."

(Natasha everything you said about a ambush is true. I just don't consider it complex. Detailed perhaps, but not complex. Hopefully the above comic doesn't offend but I believe it to be fairly accurate for gargoyle thinking.)
Natasha
Champion

Unread post by Natasha »

Dustin Fireblade wrote:
Natasha wrote:I think an ambush is complex even for humans to plan and execute. It requires actionable intel unless you're willing to sit around and wait for the enemy to stumble across you. It requires patience to wait for the enemy is in the kill zone. It requires reconnaissance and planning to find and augment the kill zone. It requires understanding where you are and were your comrades are.

Gary the Gargoyle flying around spots a NGR patrol, thanks to his really good hawk like vision.

He flies and tells his buddy Garfield the Gargoyle, eating lunch with a few other buds, Gallagher and Gabe.

Gary - "Let's get'em!"

Others - "Gargoyles SMASH!"

<all fly off and land a little ways ahead of the NGR patrol>

Gary - "We wait here. Smash'em up good!"

Others - Grinning and nodding their heads. "Gargoyles SMASH!"

Gary - "SHUT UP!! BE QUIET!!"

Others - "ok"

<little later the NGR patrol comes into view>

Gary - "CHARGE!!"

Others - "GARGOYLES SMASH!!"

Few minutes later, the NGR troopers have killed Garry and his buds. Thanks to their heavy armor, long range heavy weapons, and escorted by some Dyna-Bots the intrepid soldiers have carried the day.

Sgt. Heidenreich - "Stupid gargoyles...call it in and ask command for extraction."

(Natasha everything you said about a ambush is true. I just don't consider it complex. Detailed perhaps, but not complex. Hopefully the above comic doesn't offend but I believe it to be fairly accurate for gargoyle thinking.)

Well it's true I tend to equate detail with complexity. The more parameters you have, the more complex is your situation. In my opinion.

In military terms your comic would be a hasty ambush to take advantage of a target of opportunity, and isn't as complex as a deliberate ambush. A deliberate ambush would require more complexity, especially since the gargoyles need a good kill zone to make sure that the support units or fleeing units are killed or rendered more or less ineffective while the gargoyles disperse. So as for sticking around, I'm not sure why they would stick around when they're out gunned in a pitched fight; they just need to beat up the troops a little bit to be effective. Remember that the Americans "won" just about every fight they ever got into in Vietnam but that didn't really matter because they "lost" the war. Since gargoyles aren't humans I won't press the issue any further, however.

I get your points, too. I just don't fully agree with them.
dark brandon
Knight

Lenwen wrote:I am of the mindset that Gargoyals just like humans can learn, teach .. and adapt to thier enviorments .. If this was not true .. then how and why are they the most successful out of every single demonic species from either Dyval .. and Hades ?

The mere fact that Emp Z has them using tech .. and slowly learning it .. True as it maby only roughly 50'000 of them for now .. which is more now then at any time in their entire species history .. in all of the megaverse ..

Garg's are a subclass of demon's .. yet due to their rapid ability to reproduce and with the right garg to lead them .. they have created thier own empire .. (tho there are several Garg empires threw out the megaverse)

Gargoyals tho sub-Demons, are more then capable of learning .. teaching .. and adapting ..

Actually, the book states quite the contrary. They can learn...but they are instinctual creatures, far more so than humans, and as such, have a poor time adapting.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

dark brandon wrote:
Lenwen wrote:I am of the mindset that Gargoyals just like humans can learn, teach .. and adapt to thier enviorments .. If this was not true .. then how and why are they the most successful out of every single demonic species from either Dyval .. and Hades ?

Actually, the book states quite the contrary. They can learn...but they are instinctual creatures, far more so than humans, and as such, have a poor time adapting.

Bingo! Plus how one dimentional is facing Gargoyals all the time. One dude earlier tried to down play the CS wars by saying they were only facing tens of thousands of enemies (actuall Tolkeens army numbered into the HUNDREDS of thoudands, at the time of the Scorcerers Revenge it was around 800k!) and the Armies of Free Quebec (something like 400k). Meanwhile the Gargoyals might have a few million, but they are disorgsanized bands more than one single army. In Triax 2 it points out that Emporer Z's army is maybe 800,000- 1.3 mil. It alot, but it's only gargoyals. In fact, the Brodkil might be more a threat than the gargs. They are around 5 million and are slightly better organized, but even still, they are just a bunch of Sub-Demons...
dark brandon
Knight

Hystrix wrote: In Triax 2 it points out that Emporer Z's army is maybe 800,000- 1.3 mil. It alot, but it's only gargoyals. In fact, the Brodkil might be more a threat than the gargs. They are around 5 million and are slightly better organized, but even still, they are just a bunch of Sub-Demons...

The brodkil are going to be a bit harder. They don't seem to be quite as instinctual as gargs, and have a unified leader that they view as a god rather than a leader.

Also, "sub-demon" doesn't really say much of anything. There is nothing that really defines what a sub-demon can't/can do. So saying "they are just a bunch of sub demons" is really a misnomer, as it doesn't tell you anything except maybe they are vulnerable to millennium tree weapons, but it doesn't say anything about their society, how they view leadership or anything else that would really make any difference.
Hystrix
Champion

Unread post by Hystrix »

dark brandon wrote:
Hystrix wrote: In Triax 2 it points out that Emporer Z's army is maybe 800,000- 1.3 mil. It alot, but it's only gargoyals. In fact, the Brodkil might be more a threat than the gargs. They are around 5 million and are slightly better organized, but even still, they are just a bunch of Sub-Demons...

The brodkil are going to be a bit harder. They don't seem to be quite as instinctual as gargs, and have a unified leader that they view as a god rather than a leader.

Also, "sub-demon" doesn't really say much of anything. There is nothing that really defines what a sub-demon can't/can do. So saying "they are just a bunch of sub demons" is really a misnomer, as it doesn't tell you anything except maybe they are vulnerable to millennium tree weapons, but it doesn't say anything about their society, how they view leadership or anything else that would really make any difference.

A Sub-demon is typically a high MDC high supernatural PS with very limited magic. My point is the CS is against extreamly resouseful mages and such (Tolkeen, Federation of Magic, Kingsdale etc) that have a wide varity of spells. Look at the armies of tolkeen during the final seige in SoT6. The gargs and the Brodkil don't have nearly the variety that the enimies of the CS have. As such, the NGRs tactics don't have to change as much as the CS...
AzathothXy
Adventurer

The Brodkil are also more tech-savvy than gargoyles. They like guns, bionics, tanks, explosives etc.
The Nuclear Chaos

Return to “Rifts®”