Making Holy Water?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Re: Making Holy Water?

Unread post by Jorel »

Get ordained online free at the Universal Life Church and become a minister.

I'm guessing this won't be an option in the future or they'd all be blessing their own water.

What is really required by Palladium Law to qualify as a priest? I'd guess you'd have to serve one of the above listed deities and have a following dedicated to serving them, and then be bestowed priestly powers by said deity so that you can maketh thine water holy. There are also a few different priest classes in different books.
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

paxmiles wrote:Came up in another thread, what are the requirements to make holy water?

The WB 1 Vampire Kingdoms just says blessed water by a priest of a God of principled or scrupulous alignment, or a god of light.

What it fails to mention is what exactly counts as a priest. We do have the Rifts Priest OCC in pantheons, but I'm not certain that you have to be a priest by OCC to be a priest for making holy water. The rifts priest OCC also doesn't seem to make any mention on how to bless water either...

Can players of an OCC other than priest, decide that they were a priest before becoming whatever their OCC is? Nothing like the Rifts Priest OCC, just a priest like one of a small church that gives sermons and such. Would such a player be able to bless water?
-Pax

EDIT: like the classic priest who has something demonic destroy his church or family and becomes a hunter of evil?

You have to be the Preist OCC to make holy water.

Alternately, the Scarath druid can make holy water from an Oak tree.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

What about Shifters who link with a God of Light? Couldn't they also bless water, if not them personally, ask their god. I mean there are no rules for creating a link with a God of Light in the RUE, but I would have to say that the god would grant similar abilities to that of a Priest of Light. What do you guys think?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

dragonfett wrote:What about Shifters who link with a God of Light? Couldn't they also bless water, if not them personally, ask their god. I mean there are no rules for creating a link with a God of Light in the RUE, but I would have to say that the god would grant similar abilities to that of a Priest of Light. What do you guys think?

The god wouldn't grant the Shifter the ability, but he/she might bless some water if the Shifter asked, and the need was sufficient, and the god wasn't busy at the moment, and if he/she liked the way the Shifter asked.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

paxmiles wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:You have to be the Preist OCC to make holy water.

Alternately, the Scarath druid can make holy water from an Oak tree.

Well, which came first? Is Vampire Kingdoms older than the Pantheons book?

I think if the Vampire Kingdoms book is older, then holy water isn't made by only the OCC priest. If Pantheons is older, then it's a class feature for Priests.

Before there was an official Priest OCC, that just meant that no PCs could actually bless the water; they'd have to go to an NPC to get it blessed, or go to the right store and buy some.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Jorel
Champion
Comment: I'm a Derrik, Derriks don't run.

Unread post by Jorel »

paxmiles wrote:
Jorel wrote:I'm guessing this won't be an option in the future or they'd all be blessing their own water.

I don't think it would be all that unbalancing. You'd probably require the PC/NPC to take a few skills as OCC related ones that make sense for a player with a Priest background. They'd also be bound by the morality of their religion. Plus, the GM can always find easy plot devices around a religion or the faithful.

I think you missed the point that all you need to do today to become a minister, which I concede is not exactly a priest, is print a document from a free online website. I was married by my locker partner from high school, who went online and registered with the Universal Life Church. He'd been know locally as The Rev. for almost 9-10 years before he married us. Another friend who registered at the same time regularly wears a priests collar while he tends bar. Coincidentally, or not, he is also know as Rev. though they currently live in different states.
So...what is the definition of "Priest"?
Customer Service Director for Northern Gun

"The Devil's among us!
Stay back boy!...This calls for Divine Intervention!
I kick arse for the Lord!"
-Father McGruder- Braindead (a.k.a. Dead Alive)
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Jorel wrote:
paxmiles wrote:
Jorel wrote:I'm guessing this won't be an option in the future or they'd all be blessing their own water.

I don't think it would be all that unbalancing. You'd probably require the PC/NPC to take a few skills as OCC related ones that make sense for a player with a Priest background. They'd also be bound by the morality of their religion. Plus, the GM can always find easy plot devices around a religion or the faithful.

I think you missed the point that all you need to do today to become a minister, which I concede is not exactly a priest, is print a document from a free online website. I was married by my locker partner from high school, who went online and registered with the Universal Life Church. He'd been know locally as The Rev. for almost 9-10 years before he married us. Another friend who registered at the same time regularly wears a priests collar while he tends bar. Coincidentally, or not, he is also know as Rev. though they currently live in different states.

In Palladium, it's not that. ;)

dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

A priest is a person who not only believes; heart, mind, and soul, in the god and wants to spread the word of their chosen god, but is more or less chosen by the god to be their mortal servant. At least, that is how I see priests.

The god wouldn't grant the Shifter the ability, but he/she might bless some water if the Shifter asked, and the need was sufficient, and the god wasn't busy at the moment, and if he/she liked the way the Shifter asked.

So exactly what abilities would a God of Light grant a Shifter who linked with them? I mean, Shifters who link with Gods of Darkness get the following: an additional 10-40 SDC, and extra 30-80 PPE, the ability to Animate and Control Undead 3/day, +2 vs. magic and HF, and once the Shifter has proven themselves to the god, they get a bonus to either PS (supernatural) or PP, another +2 to all saves, and a demonic/monster minion to serve them for the rest of their lives! That sounds a lot like the powers of a Priest of Darkness, with the exception of healing 1d6 HP every other round. So why wouldn't a God of Light grant a Shifter who linked with them the power to bless water?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Grafsburg
D-Bee

Unread post by Grafsburg »

I've a question. Someone mentioned that only the Priest OCC can make holy water but...

What about the Preacher OCC from New West? I know a priest and a preacher are not exactly the same thing, but I do recall that preacher from From Dusk Till Dawn blessing those holy-water filled ah... things.
"I think any culture that relies on transit through large stretches of wilderness would grow to hate deer."

Return to “Rifts®”