What is your favorite single piece of RIFTs art?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

dragonfett
Knight

Re: What is your favorite single piece of RIFTs art?

Unread post by dragonfett »

The Original Rifts Main Book cover is my all time favorite, with that picture of the druid with a tiger behind her a close second.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Yes, and for the druid/tiger one, I am not that worried as you said you wanted links to our favorites.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Bood Samel
Adventurer
Comment: The only place worth going is too far.

Unread post by Bood Samel »

The RMB cover does it for me. There are tons of great rifts B/W drawings over the years and while I have two tattoos of such the two are not what I'd pick as the best. I'd go for Perez's two D-Bee & Monster montage drawings.
Cyrano de Maniac
D-Bee

Unread post by Cyrano de Maniac »

That's an easy one for me: The cover from WB12, Psyscape. I adore this cover for the coloring, the simplicity of the scene, and the graceful motion and almost ebullient mood conveyed in the victor. If I could be assured of getting artwork related to this cover, I would buy another Rifts & The Megaverse Collector's Masterwork Edition in heartbeat.

Runners-up include the druid and tiger from the original Rifts Main Book (IIRC it's not in RUE) as well as the full-conversion borg hunting through ruins from the same. Right in there with them also are the covers of Coalition War Campaign (WB11) and Japan (WB8).

I guess this means that John Zeleznik is my favorite overall artist, and while not reflected in the lists above Ramon Perez and Mike Mumah are standouts as well. I'd even go so far as to say that to me the three of them along with Wayne Breaux define "the" Rifts artwork style.

Brent
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I love love love love love the cover of Warlords of Russia. I also love a lot of the stuff from New West (like the Wired Slinger). Um...hell, I dunno which captures it best for me. There are a lot. Cyber Eyes by Freddie Williams captured the feel of cybernetic eyes for me. The Black Tom pic by Ramon is inspired. The Banditos are also frickin' awesome. Scott Johnson did a beautiful job with the RUE cover. The Mark V APC is to die for, as is the triptych of the vampires in VK.

I love 'em all.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

Page 31 of Chaos Earth is my all time favorite picture. Nothing else, color or otherwise, even comes close for me.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Subjugator

Atomic Ray wrote:The new Scott Johnson RUE is quite good http://images.epilogue.net/users/scottj ... eRifts.jpg especially the central character, the detail is amazing. Most of the favorites are familiar, but I am digging through my books and links to find the ones not remembered.

Great stuff!

I own the original.

:P

Technically, there is no 'original' as the color was done digitally, but I own the pencils.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

Saitou Hajime
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Hardcore Palladium Fan
Gun Lover
Canadian eh?

Unread post by Saitou Hajime »

Dog Boy playing poker!
Subjugator wrote:I got my first job at age 12 (maybe 11, but I think 12) and worked more or less continuously until today. I had to so I could eat properly. Doing so as a kid detracted from my educational experience, which was bad enough to begin with . . .

Gingrich is wrong.

/Sub
Subjugator

LOL - you should see my collection.

I own the originals for:

...the RUE cover
...the Monkey Boy apology strip
...the Wired Slinger
...the Mark V APC
...the three vamps in a row
...the Black Tom image (where he points at his own wanted poster)
...the concept art for the RUE interior back cover

...and about 200 other pieces besides.

/Sub

dragonfett
Knight

Good Grief! You truly are a PB Super Fan!

The druid/tiger picture is also the cover of the Magic/Psionics GM Screen, but I have been told that not a whole lot of people have the GM screens anymore, but it is in the second color picture section, right after the picture of the Cyber-Knight and D-Bee companion riding through a snow covered forest. I have scoured the internet and closest that I could find to a picture of it was the upper 1/8 in a lot sale of Rifts books on E-Bay.

My favorite black and white picture is from page 15 of the first printing of Sourcebook 1 (I don't think that there are any pictures of it online).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
Subjugator

LOL not only that, but I have the distinction of having had to put a Heroes Unlimited (and Rifts) game on pause for a sec while I took a call from Kev. ;)

That was kinda funny. The players were griping until I told 'em who it was. ApocalypseZero was there for it.

Oh yeah, I also own the originals for the only image of Victor Lazlo ever created and the original for Splynncryth out of Atlantis.

/Sub

The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Subjugator wrote:I love love love love love the cover of Warlords of Russia.

I agree. I think this is awesome. I own a good number of oiginal Palladium pieces but I have to say my favorite (and I own this one) is the Ramon Perez piece of the old witch woman from Rifts Canada.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
RoadWarriorFWaNK
Comment: on a death march

Unread post by RoadWarriorFWaNK »

Shinitenshi wrote: I also love the picture of the excavator in Madhaven. I missed out on the original, but did get a sweet custom picture of the excavator with brownies and cookies at his feet X)

ha, i still have that picture.

my favorite piece of rifts art is the monkey boy tech on page 85 of Lone Star. I like how its a drawing of a photo-realistic monkey. i love it.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

We have to pick just one? :(
Subjugator

Shinitenshi wrote:I love the picture of the D-bee prisoner being brought before the Proseks

I have the concept art for that piece and it's even more beautiful when you can see all the scary hard work that John Zeleznik put into it.

That man puts his whole self into a piece he makes for us.

/Sub

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

My favourite is also the original rifts slaver barge by Keih Parkinson. The original is hanging up in Waynes office IIRC.

My all time favourite PB art is "Arcane summons" also by Keith and the original for that is hanging up in Kevins office!

Lucky buggers.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
The Galactus Kid

The Dark Elf wrote:My favourite is also the original rifts slaver barge by Keih Parkinson. The original is hanging up in Waynes office IIRC.

My all time favourite PB art is "Arcane summons" also by Keith and the original for that is hanging up in Kevins office!

Lucky buggers.

Yeah you are right. The original rifts cover is HUGE.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

dragonfett
Knight

YES Atomic Ray, that is it! How did you find it?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
And Horrors Unknown
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The 1st pict I thought of was the "Red Borg" from the RMB, but then thought closer and the Druid with Tiger companion (<---see my avatar for pict of the tiger) is my favorite rifts picture.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
sHaka
Hero
Comment: Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt

Unread post by sHaka »

Not the best copy of the image, but I've always loved the Kevin Long painting from RMB of the two racing SAMAS
Northern Gun Weapons Technician, R&D Department
Reading: Savage Worlds / Savage Rifts
Playing: Nothing U_U
Advocating: A free, super-slick .pdf of Palladium's core system with sample characters and scenario
My Dead Reign Character Sheet
Palladium Books RPG Google+ Community
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
Grafsburg
D-Bee

Unread post by Grafsburg »

Really, I'd have to say anything from the New West book. In my opinion, it had the best representation of Deadboy armor, along with all sorts of cool OCC drawings.
"I think any culture that relies on transit through large stretches of wilderness would grow to hate deer."
Subjugator

Oh yeah, I also love this one...

http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... oprint.jpg

...for many reasons.

...and this one as well...

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_N0QdLkmtvlE/R ... oy_Ink.jpg

I don't know that anyone here has seen the second one. I'm in the first one, but I'm a lot bigger and have hair on the sides of my head in it. :)

/Sub

Ale Golem
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Ale Golem »

Atomic Ray wrote:
Ale Golem wrote:Page 31 of Chaos Earth is my all time favorite picture. Nothing else, color or otherwise, even comes close for me.
I don't have chaos Earth, is this pic on the net somewhere?
One of the posters here has it in their sig, not sure whom though. It's the picture of the Silver Eagle fighting a giant set of tentacles coming out of a rift right in front of it. It was drawn by Perez, as is all great PB art.
Check it out and love it! http://www.badgreymatter.com/
Subjugator

Hm. I'd say all Perez Art is great but that not all PB art is Perez art.

/Sub

The Galactus Kid

Subjugator wrote:Hm. I'd say all Perez Art is great but that not all PB art is Perez art.

/Sub

Agreed.

The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The 1st pict I thought of was the "Red Borg" from the RMB, but then thought closer and the Druid with Tiger companion (<---see my avatar for pict of the tiger) is my favorite rifts picture.

I believe the picture is entitled "Shandara" and IIRC it is the name of the tiger and not the girl.
Last edited by The Dark Elf on Sun Feb 13, 2011 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Bob_12
D-Bee

Unread post by Bob_12 »

My favorite is by far the cover of Chaos Earth. Its what got me to role-play for the first time, and that gives it a special place in my heart.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

The Perez Art in Lone Star of the hovercycle riders.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Unread post by Mechanurgist »

The original Rifts main book cover is outstanding. It perfectly captures the blend of high technology, weird magic, alien monsters, tentacles, guns and cheesecake babes that is Rifts.

The ley line walker surrounded by a corruscating blue light is a close second. It's so weird and awe-inspiring it still gives me shivers.

Those are probably the art pieces that attracted so many people to Rifts in the first place.
New After the Bomb Adventure: Rendezvous in N'Yak
Old After the Bomb Adventure: Northern Lights
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

Druid with the Tiger.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
jedi078
Champion
Comment: The next group of player characters to surrender in one of my games are going to play Russian roulette.

Unread post by jedi078 »

Atomic Ray wrote:"Page 31 of Chaos Earth is my all time favorite picture. Nothing else, color or otherwise, even comes close for me"

I don't have chaos Earth, is this pic on the net somewhere?

See my signature line.....
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem".
Ronald Reagan, President of the United States; 1985
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

MegaverseTraveller wrote:The Chaos Earths cover is my favorite, by Scott Johnson.

http://www.epilogue.net/cgi/database/ar ... l?id=82597

This link goes to it, but the site features most of his work (a ton of PB art).

IIRC technically that is a reprint :D It was on a Rifter first.......
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: With the right gems [a techno-wizard] can make a toaster that resurrects people!

Perez certainly contributed a lot to the feel of Rifts. His weird and mystical interpretation of many of the magical classes gave the whole world a unique feel. Love all his stuff.
Mechanurgist
Dungeon Crawler

I thought it was Kevin himself who designed the original logo.
Subjugator

What logos are you referring to? The word art with the Robot/Demon hybrid, the original cover (that was a Parkinson), or something else entirely?

/Sub

Subjugator

My favorite of that word art/demon: It's a cut out sticker on the back of my car! :)

/Sub

cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

In order:

1. Zeleznik's "Cyber-Thor" on the cover of "Pantheons of the Megaverse."
  2. Angel Herrensel (cyborg), holding the preserved brain of some unfortunate, on the cover of "Mindwerks."**
  3. Keith Parkinson's iconic cover on the cover of the "Rifts" Main Book.
  4. The 'sea of vampires' (also a Parkinson? Or was it a Long?) on the cover of "Vampire Kingdoms."
  5. After that, pretty much every Zeleznik cover ever.

**The pic that first got me interested in the game; I was in my local comic book store, many years ago, when that Book first came out, and for a microsecond -looking at the cover from a distance -I thought that I was looking at another of Sorayama's famous "Sexy Robot" books.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
The Galactus Kid

Subjugator wrote:What logos are you referring to? The word art with the Robot/Demon hybrid, the original cover (that was a Parkinson), or something else entirely?

/Sub

Yeah, I thought this was Long.

Subjugator

I believe the word art/demon was a Long piece, but the cover piece was Parkinson.

I *SO* wish I'd been able to buy the Parkinson cover.

Still, my collection isn't too bad.

http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb60 ... pencil.jpg
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb60 ... rawing.jpg

:)

There's a couple of samples.

/Sub

Return to “Rifts®”