Clowns

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Clowns

Unread post by Library Ogre »

*giggle*

I wrote the bulk of an article today, explaining why clowns are able to get the kings of the world to assassinate false clowns. It makes sense, it's not silly, and adds to the world.

*giggle*
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

Re: Clowns

Unread post by Marrowlight »

Tease!

Share, imo.
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations.
Library Ogre

I'll share the opening:

Princes of the Universe

His Majesty, King Frederick Mercurius XXIII, slowly strode down the central carpet of his throne room. Every seventh step, he spoke a phrase, prescribed by ancient ritual. He stated the powers of the throne, an office he would assume when the sun reached its zenith in an hour's time. Each phrase spoke of the fealty of the realm to the king, of the king's power of high and low justice, of the treasury and the tax, the gaol and the axe. All these powers he took to himself, king of the land.
Every seventeenth step, he assumed a piece of regalia, taking ancient advice from a member of his staff. A cloak from the steward of his castle, and the advice "Let your law settle lightly on the people, and they will wear it well." A key from the Chancellor of the Exchequer, who said "Tax lightly in peace, so your people will stay rich." An orb from the Justicer; "Judge innocence and guilt carefully, and execute with a heavy heart; heads, once doffed, are not lightly returned." A scepter from the General of his armies, and the admonishment that "Wars ruin lands and slay your subjects, but give no ground to conquerors." From his queen, grave in her youth and pale in her wedding gown, he received his crown. "Be king, and father of kings. Uneasy rests the kingdom without an heir; uneasy rests the king who raises his heir to sloth and ignorance."
King Frederick knelt a moment before the throne. In a phrasing so old that none knew the origin, he stood before assembled throng, noble and common alike, and intoned an ancient oath.
"I am Frederick, son of John, son of Dean, son of Brian, King of Rhye. I pledge myself to the prosperity of the realm and the safety of its people. I will give justice to those wronged, comfort to those bereaved, and uphold the rights of peers of the realm and all those who uphold it. I pledge to this by my Life, my Fortune, and my sacred Honor."
As he settled onto the throne, the noontide sun shone down upon the land, and a roar rose throughout the hall, the city, and the kingdom. It was a roar of a free people, whose freedom would flow from the throne for another generation.

Regomancy is the magic of kingship. Wielding it, a monarch can bring victory to his armies, prosperity to his realm, and obedience to his laws. In practice, it is an art of ritual; formulas which must be strictly followed to be successful. It draws its strength from the regard of the people for their king; their love for a good king, or their fear of a cruel one. Its effects, however, are subtle; people of a regomantic land do not become mindless zombies, unable to disobey their lord. Instead, the realm itself comes to obey the monarch, bringing forth prosperity, even in times of hardship.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

My God Mark, you may finally have written something I won't be able to read. I'm one of those rare people who has an over riding and frankly debilitating fear of clowns. My whole family know of it and my children love to torment me with it. But I hate clowns. HATE THEM! Still, if you wrote it, I'm sure it's good.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

GAH! after reading that, I suddenly heard Ol' Blue Eyes singing "Send in the Clowns"... You always could give me nightmares! And no, I don't mean the wonderfully evil mounts!

So, we going to see this on website, or Rifter? Hrmmm???
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Library Ogre

Goliath Strongarm wrote:GAH! after reading that, I suddenly heard Ol' Blue Eyes singing "Send in the Clowns"... You always could give me nightmares! And no, I don't mean the wonderfully evil mounts!

So, we going to see this on website, or Rifter? Hrmmm???

I'm going to be submitting it to the Rifter. I need to spend a bit editing it, still, but the draft is done.

I find I submit about one article per Rifter.

All Palladium Articles
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

They do not have Clowns in medieval times,they have Court Jester.
But it,s up to you.
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

gaby wrote:They do not have Clowns in medieval times,they have Court Jester.
But it,s up to you.

Palladium already has the clown guild established. So, it's not a stretch.

Remember, this isn't all about historical accuracy, so much as GAME WORLD ACCURACY!

As gamers, we can do what we want with our worlds :p

And, furthermore, a brief check on the history of clowning tells us:

The art of clowning has existed for thousands of years. A pygmy clown performed as a jester in the court of Pharaoh Dadkeri-Assi during Egypt’s Fifth Dynasty about 2500 B.C. Court jesters have performed in China since 1818 B.C. Throughout history most cultures have had clowns.

You can find out more about the real history at:
http://www.clown-ministry.com/index_1.p ... _bruce_jo/

Now, that said, I have always supported clowns in fantasy rpg's... they bring levity, smiles, and shudders of fear.

Clowns zombie ninja assassins from mars... now THAT is something to fear!
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Goliath Strongarm wrote:
gaby wrote:Clowns zombie ninja assassins from mars... now THAT is something to fear!

God I hate you! :D
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Northern Ranger wrote:
Goliath Strongarm wrote:
gaby wrote:Clowns zombie ninja assassins from mars... now THAT is something to fear!

God I hate you! :D

Could have been worse...

Clown Zombie Ninja Pirate Assassin Prostitutes from Mars.....

Now THAT would have been evil of me

And Nexx... you have noone to blame but yourself for the direction this thread has gone...
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

Library Ogre

Did I blame anyone? I knew what clowns like Northern Ranger would do with it. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark Hall wrote:Did I blame anyone? I knew what clowns like Northern Ranger would do with it. ;-)

AAARrrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!! :frust:

I hate you all!

Really, I do!!!

Looking forward to reading that article Mark.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:Did I blame anyone? I knew what clowns like Northern Ranger would do with it. ;-)

AAARrrrrrrggggghhhhh!!!!!!!! :frust:

I hate you all!

Really, I do!!!

Looking forward to reading that article Mark.

I need to find who is doing the art, when and if it goes into the Rifter. I want to see if I can make them draw Cirga dressed as a clown. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Mark Hall wrote:I need to find who is doing the art, when and if it goes into the Rifter. I want to see if I can make them draw Cirga dressed as a clown. ;-)

Wrong. On SOOO many levels, just wrong!

Besides, I wanna see KS done as a Zombie Clown....
--
GS
>>>----Therumancer--->

Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Bastards. That's it, you're all just bastards.

:lol:

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:Bastards. That's it, you're all just bastards.

:lol:

I prefer the term "hand and a half", thank you very much. ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Northern Ranger wrote:My God Mark, you may finally have written something I won't be able to read. I'm one of those rare people who has an over riding and frankly debilitating fear of clowns. My whole family know of it and my children love to torment me with it. But I hate clowns. HATE THEM! Still, if you wrote it, I'm sure it's good.

Hate to break it to you but Mark is an evil clown. You, wouldn't believe his monthly make-up bill. :eek:

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Or does palladium books want to do a jester occ?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Any ideas for Jester ,s skills?
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

No, Clown Zombie Pirate Monkey-Style Ninja Catgirl Prostitute from Mars in a bunny suit is the Ultimate in eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil. :twisted:
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
Lt Gargoyle
Champion
Comment: Well men if we're going to die, then let us die with honor.

Unread post by Lt Gargoyle »

gaby wrote:Any ideas for Jester ,s skills?

Puplic Speaking
Dance
Sing
play musical instrument
Acrobatics
Juggling
imitate voices and impersonations
Ventriloquism
Palming
Concealment (Most should be able to hide small things in thier custumes)
WP knife. (Seemed a logical wp)
wp throwing weapon (Seemed a logical wp)
Hand to hand martial arts (most jesters should be top pyshical shape and in control of thir bodies)

Here are the skills I think most should have.

you could have several types of jesters. A standard preformer, sure (boring). But years ago I played a jester in another game who was secretly in love with the groups Female paladin since they were children. She was the daugther of one of the nobles in the court and my character was the child of the court jester. Following in his fathers foot steps he mastered the arts of his profession and then learned some combat skills. He focused his skills in hand to hand and small weapons that he could hide. And when she was of age and ready for her first assignment from the church my character was ready and enlisted as her personal entertainer and secret body guard. It was tons of fun to role play, because our DM/GM and I did not tell others my character was in love with her. They only knew we knew each other from court. So there could be multible styles of Jesters. Body guards, much like a true bard of old.
Well men if we are destine to die, let us die with honor

If all of your wishes are granted then many of your dreams will be destroyed.

The final form of a person character lies in their own hands

Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Clowns... why does it always have to be clowns?

Why couldn't you have written an article about... oh, I don't know... vampire hookers? Now THAT would have been a good read!

Clowns.

:clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown: :clown:

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:Clowns... why does it always have to be clowns?

Why couldn't you have written an article about... oh, I don't know... vampire hookers? Now THAT would have been a good read!

'Cause your mom wouldn't give me any quotes. ;-)

Oddly enough, though, I've been thinking about Gygax's "Wandering Prostitute" table...

All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Mark Hall wrote:

Oddly enough, though, I've been thinking about Gygax's "Wandering Prostitute" table...

I can't believe you went there!
:badbad:
Okay... yes I can.

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

Northern Ranger wrote:
Mark Hall wrote:

I can't believe you went there!
:badbad:
Okay... yes I can.

Your mom? I'd hardly be alone in going there... ;-)

All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

:thwak: :thwak: :thwak: :thwak:

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Library Ogre

:D

All Palladium Articles
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

:ok:

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Marrowlight
Knight
Comment: Listen very carefully, human...the fact that I even allow you to speak directly to me is a gift I bestow upon you. You do not order me. You beg for my appreciation and then wait to see if I choose to bestow it upon you.

:nh: :nh: :nh:
Soon I Shall Bring Forth A New Beginning, And All Shall Be Made Mighty At The Touch Of My Hand

Library Ogre

:angel:

<this post last edited by Marrowlight at 5:37PM>

All Palladium Articles
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

did anyone hear that annoying grinding noise ;)
"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

The thread has gone on this long and no Insane Clown jokes? I am truly disappointed in you all, especially Mark. After the disappointment I just can't bring myself to stat out my Spraying Flower of Giggles for the Rifter.

In reality I also fall into the category of those who suffer from coulrophobia. My mother always blamed it on my dad taking me to a screening of a Cheech and Chong movie when I was a small child. It still haunts me in the quiet space inside my head:)
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
Library Ogre

RockJock wrote:The thread has gone on this long and no Insane Clown jokes? I am truly disappointed in you all, especially Mark. After the disappointment I just can't bring myself to stat out my Spraying Flower of Giggles for the Rifter.

There's no ICP jokes for the same reason there's no jokes about cabbage futures: They're not funny. They're not interesting. They're, at best, stupid and pointless.

All Palladium Articles
Marrowlight
Knight

Are you disrespecting on the Juggalo lifestyle Nexxy?

I knew there was a reason you were my favorite. :clown:

Jesterzzn
Champion

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Why do Mexicans buy Cabbage Patch dolls?

Because they come with birth certificates.

:P
:fool:
Marrowlight
Knight

oh snap. :eek: :eek:

Aramanthus
Monk

Unread post by Aramanthus »

Congrats Mark! Just think now once this article is published we can have actual organized clown hunts!
"Your Grace," she said, "I have only one question. Do you wish this man crippled or dead?"

"My Lady," the protector of Grayson told his Champion, "I do not wish him to leave this chamber alive."

"As you will it, your Grace."

HH....FIE
cyber-yukongil v2.5
Sosyourfacist
Comment: This space for rent. Inquire within!

Unread post by cyber-yukongil v2.5 »

Jesterzzn wrote:Why do Mexicans buy Cabbage Patch dolls?

Because they come with birth certificates.

my people are not amused :x

"A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill." ~ Heinlein

Petty tyrants thrive when they have authority backed by vague regulations. ~some unnamed joker
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how about space clowns?
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

Oh Mark, you may have made my dreams come true. Depending on the direction you take visually with the clowns, I may have to buy it, which I shouldn't right now :p
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Holy resurrected threads Batman! This even brought me out of hiding! I haven't been on these threads in... I don't even know how long!

300 Geek Points (So Far)
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

abe wrote:how about space clowns?

Wait. WHY DID YOU DO THIS? BEGONE FOUL NECROMANCER!

Seriously. If you're going to pull a thread from four years ago, have the decency to announce you're doing so.

Got my hopes all up. . . .
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Unread post by BookWyrm »

Gah, space clowns......*shudder*
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

think "Killer klowns from outer space" but with the various modifacation of course.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

any thoughts?
Northern Ranger
Hero
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Sounds utterly horrifying

300 Geek Points (So Far)
zyanitevp
Champion
Comment: Check out our Twitch stream!

Unread post by zyanitevp »

Better ?- why are people trying to resurrect scary 4 year old threads...
Broadcasting live twitchtv
My Twitter
Now Playing Savage Rifts as a Trimadore TechnoWizard
Image Image

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”