A GM Binder

This is a place for G.M.s and GM wannabes to share ideas and their own methods of play. It is not a locked forum so be aware your players may be watching!

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Re: A GM Binder

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I always fully write out all characters, NPCs or not. But then, I like involved stories, so the characters usually are involved with the story line, not just quick and disposable types.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Goliath Strongarm
Hero

Unread post by Goliath Strongarm »

I don't bother fleshing out most guards, bandits, etc. Maybe the captain of the guard, or the bandit chief, but not Joe Snuffy. And I've always found it handy to have a quicklist for those that might get summoned or be hanging around.
--
GS
Galadriel in leather! Yayayayayayaya!
>>>----Therumancer--->

Well, hang on to your seats boys and girls, but I agree with GS-Veknironth

[Goliath baiting]Hey, according to my copy of Yin-Sloth Jungles, they came out in 1995. Didn't you get your copies?[/Golaith baiting]-MrNexx, regarding the OK books

People don't like it when searching through a website is a pain in the butt (even if it's a proctology website)-Uncle Servo
Icefalcon
Champion

Unread post by Icefalcon »

Goliath Strongarm wrote:Yeah, but honestly, for your typical mook fight, you can ballpark it. Or, you can do it fully once, and condense it for the others (if using multiple of the same one, like I mentioned). It's a useful tool for combats.

If I have a stat block for a 5th level human bandit, I am not going to make a separate entry for 12 more just like him, I am going to use the same stat block and just use a sheet of paper to denote separate HP, SDC and MDC values. Now a human and a D-bee bandit, I would fully do both blocks.

Goliath Strongarm wrote:Nowdays, I'm mostly digital with my stuff, so it's not as problematic for me (I just use a different cell for each ones HPs).

Most of my stuff is digital as well. For traveling games, I print the pages off and carry them with.

Goliath Strongarm wrote:But, when using a binder, it was handy for me when trying to run a battle. I could have 7+ NPCs on a page (a lot more in some cases) and didn't need to keep flipping around. I could note which was fighting who, and track HPs on the doc protector.

The way I type the stat block, when I do use a notebook, I can have up to 7 on a printed page with full stats, skills and gear. Notebook paper or small white board to track the current HP, SDC and MDC means very little work on my part and the stat blocks can be reused later in the game or in a different game. The more games I run, the more stat blocks I wind up collecting.
*Sniff, Sniff* Why does it smell like wet dog in here?!
Icefalcon
Champion

Goliath Strongarm wrote:I don't bother fleshing out most guards, bandits, etc. Maybe the captain of the guard, or the bandit chief, but not Joe Snuffy. And I've always found it handy to have a quicklist for those that might get summoned or be hanging around.

Just average Joe off the street, no. They do not need a massive amount of detail. Maybe a name and some minor notes on personality. However, if it is someone they are likely to fight or steal from, there is going to be stat blocks for the dude.
Icefalcon
Champion

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I always fully write out all characters, NPCs or not. But then, I like involved stories, so the characters usually are involved with the story line, not just quick and disposable types.

Granted, I love big involved stories but in a town of 3000 people, I am not going to stat every one out.....yet. I might eventually collect enough stat blocks to use for every person in a town but I am not there yet.

I will definitely stat out all of the major people, every shop owner, all guards and military, people that they are more than likely to run into (like the baker or local chef) and a few random people besides. The guards, military and other things are going to be done in blocks (like scout, scout sergeant, guard, guard Lt., guard captain, so forth) unless they happen to be "special" in some way.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

Really you don't need the stats for them you just need the effects; have their combat bonuses and saves

Street Punk: Level 4
A: 4, SPD+7
DC: 15, HP: 15
Handgun: S+2: 2d6
Blunt: S+2: 1d6
Knife: S+2: 1d4
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Icefalcon
Champion

KillWatch wrote:Really you don't need the stats for them you just need the effects; have their combat bonuses and saves

Until the players use a spell or other power that lowers an enemies stat, they make the enemy (or someone they are trying to get info from) make a save, or they may even try to make the dude do some work for them (which means you need skills). I have seen the players try so many wacky things with bad guys that it requires the full stat block. Heck, I have seen players of evil characters do so much to just average people that I need stat blocks to keep up with the all of what they want. Winging something like that is out of the question also. The players will expect that guy to be able to do the same things next time that he did in the current session.

For some people, general stats are enough. For a group that wants the GM to add extreme depth to every session, nothing less than a full stat block will do.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

reverse engineering, an ME X will produce a Save of Y
Skills are pretty formulaic. I mean normal people aren't going have bonuses and its just +5%/level which should only be about 4th so 20% so 55%

No, add depth certainly to important or recurring NPCs. But thugs in an alley? Mooks on a train? Minions on a plane?
I write up everything that I have my players roll up; backgrounds motivations nature/disposition, etc. by the end I kow who they are and what they are about
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “G.M.s Forum”