Cyclops arrows

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Cyclops arrows

Unread post by nilgravity »

Does it say somewhere how Cyclops make arrows out of lightning? There's one in my group and we don't know how often he can make arrows.
Greyaxe
Champion
Comment: Role playing is not my hobby, it is my lifestyle.

Re: Cyclops arrows

Unread post by Greyaxe »

They are javelins. and i don't think there is a recipe.
Sureshot wrote:Listen you young whippersnappers in my day we had to walk for 15 no 30 miles to the nearest game barefoot both ways. We had real books not PDFS and we carried them on carts we pulled ourselves that we built by hand. We had Thaco and we were happy. If we needed dice we carved ours out of wood. Petrified wood just because we could.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

nilgravity wrote:Does it say somewhere how Cyclops make arrows out of lightning? There's one in my group and we don't know how often he can make arrows.

Other books also add that should any non-Cyclops figure it out 2 to 12 greater demons come after them.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Greyaxe wrote:They are javelins. and i don't think there is a recipe.

They can make Javelins and arrows.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

nilgravity wrote:Does it say somewhere how Cyclops make arrows out of lightning? There's one in my group and we don't know how often he can make arrows.
The issue of frequency has never been explicitly stated in either PFRPG or Rifts Books, but they can apparently do so with enough efficiency and speed to keep an entire kingdom's military needs satisfied (and an entire island for themselves as a gift).

Like the javelins, the arrows aren't necessarily "made out of" lightning, but they do turn into lightning once shot, doing (for PFPRG) significantly higher damage and range than a normal arrow or thrown weapon.

As was stated in an earlier post, a Plot Device prevents anyone other than Cyclopes from making these megaversally coveted weapons: if anyone other than a Cyclops creates one of their weapons using their magic "formula," a group of 2D6 Greater Demons materializes on-the-spot, anywhere and everywhere in the Megaverse, and in addition to confiscating the 'stolen' goods, either kills the maker on the spot (and presumably any witnesses as well), or leaves them alive.

Most of the people who are left alive would probably tell you that they wished they had been killed instead, so thoroughly do these Demons maim the 'thief.'
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

Oooh what kind of demons? This could be useful for trapping PPE energy sources!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

maybe we've figured out how the splugorth manage to fill all those rune weapons they make :P
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

nilgravity wrote:Oooh what kind of demons? This could be useful for trapping PPE energy sources!

That would be pretty funny"

"Hey what happened to the demons I sent out after that that dude violating Cyclops copyright?"

"Well sir apparently they were all captured and stuffed into rune batteries and being used to make more javelins and arrows. Should I send more?"

"Nah, better kick it to the higher ups and let them deal with it."
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Shark_Force wrote:maybe we've figured out how the splugorth manage to fill all those rune weapons they make :P

It actually states in the Conversion book that Atlantis has some Cyclops on retainer there making the weapons for them. I imagine thats a fairly lucrative gig, as long as the splugs don't crawfish and screw the 'clops.

(That's lightning weapons, not rune weapons. I think they have captured Nuhr Dwarves doing the rune weapons.)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The Beast wrote:Other books also add that should any non-Cyclops figure it out 2 to 12 greater demons come after them.
What happens if I enslave them?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Tor wrote:
The Beast wrote:Other books also add that should any non-Cyclops figure it out 2 to 12 greater demons come after them.
What happens if I enslave them?
It would be a presumably good thing for you....IF you could capture and control that many greater demons warping into your Cyclops Weapons Creation "factory."

EACH of those 2 to 12 greater demons having a presumably impressive set of spells and fighting skills all their own, not to mention the possibility that they might in turn be able to (magically) summon reinforcements of their own -or at least warp out and warp back with them.

That's one hell of a chance to take, I say (pun intended).
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

No, it is not any text (that is coming to mind) that tells "how" "Cyclops Lighting Weapons" are made. Only that they are 'Only made by cyclops makers'.(page 334)

Note: Only 33% of them know how to make them.(PFRPG2 MB page 335)
{"why did I reff. the PF2MB book?"...cause it is where the numbers are and it was next to the computer when I writing this post. If someone else can find any other numbers in a rifts book that better for the rifters out there.}

So the 1st step would be to determine IF the PC knows how to make them. If you are the GM, you do this, not the player. I would do this in secret, for it gives you the option to decide that you do not want the player's char to know how to make them. Then you can say the roll did not give the char the knowledge to make them.
------------------
I note that none of the other posters actually answered the question posted in the OP. :thwak:
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I note that none of the other posters actually answered the question posted in the OP. :thwak:

the second post was basically "i don't think so", which is pretty much what you wrote - you said no, but you've added the qualifiers "that is coming to mind", and "if someone else can find any other numbers..." indicating there is a degree of uncertainty to your answer, which means you've just repeated the second post. just using a lot more words to do it.

so actually, the question was answered right after it was asked.
tundro
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tundro »

Reading the text in Conversion Book One, it does not state how long it takes to make any of the lightning weapons, just that there are 4 examples of lightning javelins, and 2 arrow. So in this case it would be up to the GM. Being that they are magical in nature, I personally would probably make it 1 per day. Being that these are highly coveted, and there is special magic in place to make it so the Cyclops can't be made to reveal the technique in making them, it stands to reason that there is some time and effort required to make them. Just my thoughts.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Shark_Force wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I note that none of the other posters actually answered the question posted in the OP. :thwak:

the second post was basically "i don't think so", which is pretty much what you wrote - you said no, but you've added the qualifiers "that is coming to mind", and "if someone else can find any other numbers..." indicating there is a degree of uncertainty to your answer, which means you've just repeated the second post. just using a lot more words to do it.

so actually, the question was answered right after it was asked.

erp... the brain got lazy after seeing the 1st thing said was not the answer to the question
*shrugs*
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Are Cyclops weapons really so impressive damage-wise to even rate such a deus ex machina as a few dozen major demons always on standby with an inexplicable limited omniscience and megaversal perfect pinpoint teleportation ability in order to instantly attack anyone in existence who isn't a Cyclops that learns how to make them and does so?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Beast

Nightmask wrote:Are Cyclops weapons really so impressive damage-wise to even rate such a deus ex machina as a few dozen major demons always on standby with an inexplicable limited omniscience and megaversal perfect pinpoint teleportation ability in order to instantly attack anyone in existence who isn't a Cyclops that learns how to make them and does so?

Today, in Rifts, I highly doubt it (books are in other room atm). At the time of their original writing for the setting they were meant for, likely yes.
Galroth
Adventurer

Unread post by Galroth »

Nightmask wrote:Are Cyclops weapons really so impressive damage-wise to even rate such a deus ex machina as a few dozen major demons always on standby with an inexplicable limited omniscience and megaversal perfect pinpoint teleportation ability in order to instantly attack anyone in existence who isn't a Cyclops that learns how to make them and does so?

Not sure about the arrows, but the Heavy Javelins are either 2d6x10 MD or 3d6x10. IIRC.

However, I'm pretty sure they require ground Demon Bone and maybe Dragons blood. How much of each is never stated.
Giant2005
Knight

Unread post by Giant2005 »

They do the same damage as Mjolnir, or 4x the damage of a Sword of Atlantis.
That is extremely significant.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Nightmask wrote:
nilgravity wrote:Oooh what kind of demons? This could be useful for trapping PPE energy sources!

That would be pretty funny"

"Hey what happened to the demons I sent out after that that dude violating Cyclops copyright?"

"Well sir apparently they were all captured and stuffed into rune batteries and being used to make more javelins and arrows. Should I send more?"

"Nah, better kick it to the higher ups and let them deal with it."

HHAHA one stop arcane item creation. Make lightning arrows/ javelins right next to a soul forge. Any pesky demon that shows up gets fed to the soul forge. Soulmancers with good access to lightning weapons is a pretty scary thought.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Giant2005 wrote:

They do the same damage as Mjolnir, or 4x the damage of a Sword of Atlantis.
That is extremely significant.

In regard to the mega-javelins, they're probably pretty big. It would be realistic to assume they're the largest javelin, and there is a picture of a Cyclops holding one of the Javelins (though it's not clear which one) in CB1, so it's at LEAST that big.

I'm not sure if size factors into throwing distance (they may all be lightweight, the range doesn't seem to change based on size, just arrow or jav, and no weight is given, no limitations for smaller beings). It would be pretty hard to conceal though (these things are longer than the average human's height) and they are 1-shot attacks, so it's kind of like firing off a missle, and missiles might be less expensive to maintain or transport, and easier to hit with.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

The ritual calls upon the power of the Old Ones, so presumably a Cyclops could prepare multiple javelins and arrows, then perform the ritual. So it would be the Old Ones who, dreaming, are still omniscient enough to send 2d12 Greater Demons to the location of anyone foolish enough to steal the knowledge of the Old One's one-eyed minions.
Good luck with enslaving them, they'd have decent saves against that and there are at least two to deal with at the same time.
Sorry for the gamerz who want kewl powerz but that's just the way it is.
As for the ritual itself, it likely requires some sort of blood sacrifice, among other things. It isn't very detailed, so if you're playing a Cyclops or Greater Cyclops, work with your GM to come up with it. It could be lucrative, definitely useful, but the price might be very high...
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

PFRPG WB 3 - Adventurs on the High Seas Page 104.

Making the Lightning Javelins or Arrows requires ground bones of dragons, demons blood, and arcane magics that draw upon the slumbering old ones. 33% of cyclops know how to make both javelins and arrows. 20% know how to make either javelins or arrows.

If you want to be a generous GM you could have the player roll to see if he/she know how to make them. Then you may have to create more detailed breakdowns of the amount of materials, time, and PPE required. Or you can just say sorry, you were trained as an adventurer, not a craftsman for the realm so you don't know how to make them.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

42dragon wrote:33% of cyclops know how to make both javelins and arrows. 20% know how to make either javelins or arrows.

I'm not sure how to interpret that. Would it be 33both+20jav+20arrow for 73% creators total, or 33+20(arrow or jav) for 53% creators total?
The Beast

Tor wrote:
42dragon wrote:33% of cyclops know how to make both javelins and arrows. 20% know how to make either javelins or arrows.

I'm not sure how to interpret that. Would it be 33both+20jav+20arrow for 73% creators total, or 33+20(arrow or jav) for 53% creators total?

It should be read "Out of a sample of 100, 33 of them can make both, 20 of them can make either one or the other. The rest can't make them at all."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

42dragon wrote:PFRPG WB 3 - Adventurs on the High Seas Page 104.

Making the Lightning Javelins or Arrows requires ground bones of dragons, demons blood, and arcane magics that draw upon the slumbering old ones. 33% of cyclops know how to make both javelins and arrows. 20% know how to make either javelins or arrows.

If you want to be a generous GM you could have the player roll to see if he/she know how to make them. Then you may have to create more detailed breakdowns of the amount of materials, time, and PPE required. Or you can just say sorry, you were trained as an adventurer, not a craftsman for the realm so you don't know how to make them.

Are the numbers talking about the race as a whole or just the population of that island?
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The Beast wrote:should be read "Out of a sample of 100, 33 of them can make both, 20 of them can make either one or the other. The rest can't make them at all."
I guess it just seems odd that a greater number would know how to make both than are able to make just one.

It also leads me to wonder how that 20% is split. 10/10 or are there a greater number who can javelin than can arrow, or vice versa?

Basically it's not telling us the total percentage of who can make a specific type. If it was a 10/10 split that'd be 40% for both, but it might be 45 arrows / 35 javs or something.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Maybe it is indicating that only 33% of those who know how to make one also know how to make the other?

Roll once to see if you know one, roll again to see if you know the other, but only if you know one, dont know one cannot know another.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
nilgravity
Dungeon Crawler

I thought these things were forged out of lightning but it sounds like many people think they are regular spears/arrows enchanted with lightning. Also wouldn't this **** dragons off? I thought in Juicer Uprising it said something about dragons wanting to kick the crap out of dragon juicers.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The grudge against Dragon Juicers is more because of how the Society of Sages (who're behind them) have a tendency to butcher dragons, being genocidal human supremacists (you'd figure they might get along well with the Vanguard). If Dragon Juicers worked out a deal where they would exchange precious jewels, fashionable unicorns and lots of bubble bath, I'm sure some dragons would be amiable towards working out some blood-selling. Considering their ridiculous regeneration rates, it would be a drop in the bucket for them and a very profitable way to make some money.

The problem with Dragon Juicers and the Society of Sages is basically similar to that of Vampires and their Kingdoms. They simply prey recklessly on their life source and for the most part don't care for respecting their wishes or getting the consent and co-operation of their fuel source.

I'm sure dragons might also be similarly agreeable to donating some bone here and there (do horns count as bone?) since presumably they could also regenerate limbs, although I'm not totally clear on that issue. People with slower healing rates have done it...
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

I'd like to see some D-Juicers pumping some Ogopogo blood through their J-harness. Now that would be a sight. Heh.
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I don't think the dragon being aquatic would change what it does, sucking Fire Dragon blood doesn't make them combust.

I wouldn't hate an expansion of the Dragon Juicer OCC with different rules based on which subspecies they're feeding on (including the new RUE variants) which would be a rather large addition, but until then...

Return to “Rifts®”