Taking a bullet for someone else

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

flatline
Knight

Taking a bullet for someone else

Unread post by flatline »

If I'm standing next to you and see someone trying to shoot you, are there canon rules for me jumping in front of you to take the bullet?

It can't be simple initiative rolls because if I beat your attacker in initiative, I've already taken my action before he even declares he's shooting you...

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Taking a bullet for someone else

Unread post by The Beast »

AFAIK, you just have to announce to your GM that you want to do that, and then dodge your way into it.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

The Beast wrote:AFAIK, you just have to announce to your GM that you want to do that, and then dodge your way into it.

its kind of a reverse dodge or parry IE you are intentionally getting in front of the attack to keep it from hitting them
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

flatline wrote:If I'm standing next to you and see someone trying to shoot you, are there canon rules for me jumping in front of you to take the bullet?

It can't be simple initiative rolls because if I beat your attacker in initiative, I've already taken my action before he even declares he's shooting you...

--flatline

It's like one of your hobbies is just sitting around with your P-51, looking for cans of worms.
Even though you don't enjoy the taste.
:-D

RGMG 33
So how do I leap in front of the fireball aimed at the one-armed, blind little orphan Timmy... or how can one get in the way of an attack directed at someone else?
It will count as a single action and, as always, you must roll to strike- in this case the strike being to hurl oneself in the path of the destruction. Hight roll wins. The defender (i.e., the guy diving in front of the blast, sword or whatever the attack is) wins ties. So if both attacker and defender roll a 14 to strike, the defender winds and takes the damage meant for Timmy. Yes, Success means the heroic character (now a human shield) will take the damage, and cannot attempt to Parry or Dodge that attack. A failed roll means the blast misses the heroic character and Timmy is struck.

There are also some rules there for tackling Timmy out of the way as a kind of Simultaneous Strike.

Now, people have brought up the potential for abuse from the above rule:
"I have +5 to dodge, and +10 to strike. When I see the enemy point his gun at me, I'm going to dive in front of that tree off to my left, in order to save it!"
Though there are flaws with that kind of argument, of course.

Personally, I think it's bizarre that Strike is used in this case... but I can kind of see it. The goal of dodging is generally to be anywhere BUT one specific place, and the goal of striking (with body block or whatever) is to BE one specific place.
This rule has never really come up when I've run things, that I can recall.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Personally, I think it's bizarre that Strike is used in this case... but I can kind of see it. The goal of dodging is generally to be anywhere BUT one specific place, and the goal of striking (with body block or whatever) is to BE one specific place.
This rule has never really come up when I've run things, that I can recall.

I have seen a character attempt to dive in front of an attack to save another character only ONCE. said dive was unsuccessful (bad dice roll) and the character being defended was killed.

still it was awesome to observe.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Cliff's: you roll to strike (not dodge) but you win ties since it's "defensive" in nature.

Cyborg brings up an interesting dilemma, although it is rare to have higher strike bonuses than dodge since skills and HtHs tend to add more defensively than offensively. I could only see this coming up for assassins, in which case I think it's hilarious.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”