Naruni Corporate Upgrade Carnivores and Juggernauts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

masslegion
Explorer

Naruni Corporate Upgrade Carnivores and Juggernauts

Unread post by masslegion »

Starting on page 61 of Fleets of the Three Galaxies (Fot3G) we see that the Naruni save the best for themselves and then on pg 64 we see stats for the "Fire-Spitter" Attack Ship NCD-02 Naruni Corporate Design.

On page 66 The Naruni Audit ship states that its most common load includes 4 Carnivore Light Hover Tanks. (Corporate upgrade - uses a CG hover system and K-HEX missiles. Also has Direct Interface).

On page 68 the Commodity-Class Naruni Super Cruiser states that for ground assault, it carries 30 Juggernaut Heavy Tanks (also a corporate upgrade that uses an anti-matter power reactor, CG hover system, K-HEX missiles, and the main gun has no recharge time).

1. Are there stats for these changes elsewhere and I missed them?

2. Are there stats for how the CG hover system changes performance, i.e speed, altitude, ability to hover over water (which I would suspect now has no limitation on depth of water)?

3. It appears that the anti-matter reactor can keep up with the power demands of the main PB cannon for the Juggernauts . What other changes does this bring? Maybe a longer lifespan.

4. I was going to ask about the K-Hex missiles because I erroneously thought they meant the K-Hex micro-missiles, but K-Hex missiles are available in long-, medium-, short, and mini-missiles varieties on page 58 of DB3: Phaseworld Sourcebook. So I guess no answer required for this.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Naruni Corporate Upgrade Carnivores and Juggernauts

Unread post by Tor »

Downside to anti-matter reactors, Naruni force fields only explicitly get infinite-duration if hooked to a nuclear one :( Course I think most GMs would rule that anti-matter reactors also provide that benefit.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Tor wrote:Downside to anti-matter reactors, Naruni force fields only explicitly get infinite-duration if hooked to a nuclear one :( Course I think most GMs would rule that anti-matter reactors also provide that benefit.

Any powersource that can provide a continuous supply of power should work. E-clips have a duration because once their stored energy is consumed, that's it. If you could "refuel" an e-clip while the force-field was running (which you totally could...parallel circuits are child's play), then you could run the force-field indefinitely just like it was attached to a nuclear reactor.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I dunno, I'd like to think that the batteries that power certain power-armor suits would work so that I could hook up a Warmonger with some Naruni Forcefields but I'm not really sure if they'd be up to the energy demands.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

masslegion wrote:Starting on page 61 of Fleets of the Three Galaxies (Fot3G) we see that the Naruni save the best for themselves and then on pg 64 we see stats for the "Fire-Spitter" Attack Ship NCD-02 Naruni Corporate Design.

On page 66 The Naruni Audit ship states that its most common load includes 4 Carnivore Light Hover Tanks. (Corporate upgrade - uses a CG hover system and K-HEX missiles. Also has Direct Interface).

On page 68 the Commodity-Class Naruni Super Cruiser states that for ground assault, it carries 30 Juggernaut Heavy Tanks (also a corporate upgrade that uses an anti-matter power reactor, CG hover system, K-HEX missiles, and the main gun has no recharge time).

1. Are there stats for these changes elsewhere and I missed them?

Just these notes you already quoted.

2. Are there stats for how the CG hover system changes performance, i.e speed, altitude, ability to hover over water (which I would suspect now has no limitation on depth of water)?

Nope. Its just that they have CG hover systems. Game mechanically, nothing changed.

3. It appears that the anti-matter reactor can keep up with the power demands of the main PB cannon for the Juggernauts . What other changes does this bring? Maybe a longer lifespan.

Just the recharge rate apparently. Id think the author would have made additional notes otherwise.

4. I was going to ask about the K-Hex missiles because I erroneously thought they meant the K-Hex micro-missiles, but K-Hex missiles are available in long-, medium-, short, and mini-missiles varieties on page 58 of DB3: Phaseworld Sourcebook. So I guess no answer required for this.

Correct. The only think about that I do not know about it, if DB3 got a Shadow Update to reflect the new missile damages reflected in RUE. Originally, KHEX missiles were supposed to be more powerful than standard missiles (which was true in RMB) but KHEX got static stats in DB3. When RUE came out, missiles also got static stats, in most cases making those stats on par or better than KHEX missiles in DB3. So basically, only the KHEX mini missiles get any kind of boost in damage over standard missiles, unless of course DB3 got a Shadow Update that says otherwise.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Tor wrote:I dunno, I'd like to think that the batteries that power certain power-armor suits would work so that I could hook up a Warmonger with some Naruni Forcefields but I'm not really sure if they'd be up to the energy demands.

That was one interesting thing in the Mechanoids books (not SB2; the old ones): your engine had a power rating, and you could only do so much with what power you had. So you might not be able to go full speed if you were firing all your weapons, because the power draw would exceed your engine capacity.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Hi.

Unread post by cosmicfish »

masslegion wrote:1. Are there stats for these changes elsewhere and I missed them?

No, but as the GM I would infer some reasonable stats.

masslegion wrote:2. Are there stats for how the CG hover system changes performance, i.e speed, altitude, ability to hover over water (which I would suspect now has no limitation on depth of water)?

Well, CG in other vehicles allows the vehicle to fly to hundreds or thousands of feet of altitude without regard to whether there is land or water beneath. Lacking any better reference, I would start with similar stats to the Phalanx MBT from PW - the original listed speed close to the ground and 60% of that speed up to 1000', with no water issues.

masslegion wrote:3. It appears that the anti-matter reactor can keep up with the power demands of the main PB cannon for the Juggernauts . What other changes does this bring? Maybe a longer lifespan.

None canonically, but a generous GM could use this to justify other changes - it is explicitly listed as an upgrade, which means it should be superior to nuclear in power produced, size, and/or lifespan. The improvement to the main gun is substantial, but there could be more.

Given the demonstrated improvements to the Fire-Eater / Fire-Spitter, if I was GMing a game where it was relevant I would probably consider giving the tanks a ~20% boost in armor, ~33% increase in weapon damage and range, and a ~50% increase in speed. But I would be going off-book by doing so.
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

cosmicfish wrote:
masslegion wrote:3. It appears that the anti-matter reactor can keep up with the power demands of the main PB cannon for the Juggernauts . What other changes does this bring? Maybe a longer lifespan.

None canonically, but a generous GM could use this to justify other changes - it is explicitly listed as an upgrade, which means it should be superior to nuclear in power produced, size, and/or lifespan. The improvement to the main gun is substantial, but there could be more.

Given the demonstrated improvements to the Fire-Eater / Fire-Spitter, if I was GMing a game where it was relevant I would probably consider giving the tanks a ~20% boost in armor, ~33% increase in weapon damage and range, and a ~50% increase in speed. But I would be going off-book by doing so.

If we're going off the books. I think I could go with all that you listed. Initially I considered the armor boost unjustified. If I considered the CG and the increased power supply together, I could also see an increase in armor. What's not listed that I'd also consider is a slight increase in shield capacity and/or shield regeneration from the improved power supply.

I don't think I'd increase the damage of the weapons, but I like increasing the range. I guess that's the beauty of being off the books. We'd both do it slightly different.
Mlp7029
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mlp7029 »

I would incorporate the superior plasma tech into the Carnivore tank as secondary weapons; give it a boom gun equivalent for main gun; add a second missile launcher on the other side of the turret, incorporate a heavy duty force field and remove the altitude restriction for having CG.

Return to “Rifts®”