putting a circle of protection around a city.

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lodisy
D-Bee

putting a circle of protection around a city.

Unread post by Lodisy »

I apologize if this has already been answered. I'm playing a summoner and I'm trying to earn some extra cash while maybe making the locals a little more tolerant of my dark and evil ways. The city was just attacked by ice demons and I thought the king might be amenable to paying me to put a circle of protection from demons around the city.

is this possible? If it is, what extra do I need to do? What would be a reasonable price to ask the king for? I'm level two so I still have standard 16 save circles. Though I understand lesser demons (such as the ones that attacked, cannot even enter within ten feet of the circle.

Thanks for the advice, even if it turns out I can't do it.

-JSL
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: putting a circle of protection around a city.

Unread post by eliakon »

In theory, as long as you can make all the symbols, have the materials and such you can make a circle as big as you want. You would likely need to knock down buildings to clear space for the symbols and lines.....but it could be done.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Gthomas41571
D-Bee

Unread post by Gthomas41571 »

As long as the GM is ok with it I don't see It being impossible, it will definitely take some time to make it, and some serious thought first. .. I agree with Eliakon, if the symbols are correct then size shouldn't be an issur.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Perfectly possible, AFAIK.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I'd allow it. Making a city as a simple protection circle wouldn't be a horrible idea.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Fullmetal alchemist did a city sized circle, don't see why you couldn't do it in PFRPG.. i suspect it would be expensive though.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
kiralon
Champion
Comment: Kill it with Fire.

Unread post by kiralon »

My capital of Lopan is a circle, the city is high walled, with the actual circle under the walls and the small sealing circles are guard towers with walls connecting them to the main circle, and there are 4 strategically placed governmental building where the components are placed. The circle ownership is transferred to the new advisor for city defence (who has to be summoner/diabolist, usually prepared for the job at a young age) when the old one dies. There are also strategically placed wards around the place to help with city defence.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

A protection from demons circle must be drawn in holy water or the blood of a priest of light. That's a lot of holy water/blood, but I don't see why it wouldn't be possible. Personally, if I had the money to blow, I'd combine the demon protection circle with three others using a power matrix, which can be drawn in any substance (though the symbols must be drawn in gold, they're apparently quite tiny). The attached circles could be as small as I could make them, minimizing the components necessary.

Then I'd revel in my own hubris until I meet my end on an assassin's blade.
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

holy water would be the best choice i suspect.. a priest could make holy water on a regualr basis and that water could be stored till used. getting enough blood would be trickier. :)

(actually.. remind me.. is there a limit on how much holy water one can make in one go? could you dig a moat, fill it with non-holywater, then get a bunch of priests to convert it to holy water?)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Cinos
Hero

Unread post by Cinos »

glitterboy2098 wrote:Fullmetal alchemist did a city sized circle, don't see why you couldn't do it in PFRPG.. i suspect it would be expensive though.

The main difference between them is that Full metals magic is a lot more lenient in what you can and can't make circles out of. Where in Palladium, the circles have pretty rigid requirements (Typically chalk), Full Metal would allow you to make things out of anything (or a more abstract 'nothing' since the Nationwide circle is comprised of an underground tunnel, I'm not sure if there was anything inlaid within that to work).

The scale issue then becomes a logistics problem, of how to preserve the materials in the needed shape, but it's certainly a doable, if not adventurous, concept. You'd assuredly want guards to keep an eye on large tracts of it to keep it from getting disrupted, likely drawn onto the top of a wall surrounding the city, and shielded some how from the elements and animals (animals more so, keep those pesky familiars away). I'm not sure how well holy water would work as a reagent, worrying about evaporation rates and it'll vary a bit GM to GM on just what 'taints' holy water to turn it back into normal water AND if the water being exposed to open air is required for the circle (then you've got to worry about rain water diluting it, dirt making it not holy any more, etc).

As to answer glitterboy2098's problem, I think there is, and it's rather limited per day (an amount measured in liters, but grows per level) so you'd be cycling in dozens (or hundreds) of priests to get a moat sized area. More likely, you'd dig a -very- narrow funnel in the needed designs to conserve the amount of materials needed and make it easier to protect, assuming you solve the other problems of keeping it 'holy' (a pretty vague and poorly defined qualifier).
Getting a mage to tell you where the hydra is...10,000 gold
Hiring a summoner... 40,000 gold
Hiring one hundred 10th level mercenaries... 98,567 gold
Giving a hydra skull to your necromancer... priceless

Board? Read bad fan fiction!
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=120575&p=2349744#p2349744
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Cinos wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:Fullmetal alchemist did a city sized circle, don't see why you couldn't do it in PFRPG.. i suspect it would be expensive though.

The main difference between them is that Full metals magic is a lot more lenient in what you can and can't make circles out of. Where in Palladium, the circles have pretty rigid requirements (Typically chalk), Full Metal would allow you to make things out of anything (or a more abstract 'nothing' since the Nationwide circle is comprised of an underground tunnel, I'm not sure if there was anything inlaid within that to work).

The scale issue then becomes a logistics problem, of how to preserve the materials in the needed shape, but it's certainly a doable, if not adventurous, concept.

Permanence Ward.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Once activated, the magic circle remains functioning indefinitely;
all components are magically kept fresh.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

That would be one major engineering feat, and the small question as to whether or not the person creating the circle can have help or if the nature of circle magic requires all the work be done by the mage looking to enchant it. It would take a long time for a single person to personally do all the work necessary to create a city-sized protection circle.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

Awesome, thank you so much. I appreciate all the advice and help. I had considered the holy water thing. There is a large temple to some God in the city, so I figured that wouldn't be an issue. As far as the surface, I thought of just digging a trench and then pouring holy water and having key parts bricked over. Thanks for the help. now I have some concrete ideas to bring to my gm.
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

Have a look a the cities layout - If its a circle is there a cross section of the roads leading to the centre. Often the is if the city is built to be fortified. Is so then is their a sewer system? If so does the sewer system match the roads? how far out of the city does it go?

What Im tryin to say is:

Is there already an underground waterway in the shape of a summoning circle that can be blocked off and blessed holy!!
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
wodens_blade
D-Bee

Unread post by wodens_blade »

its been awhile since I have researched the Summoner’s circles…but wouldn’t something that big cause all kinds of logistics issues? What about a kid messing with the circles lines…or evil cult members removing ingredients and making the circle moot? Also…if I was in charge of the city and didn’t understand magic why would I trust this evil Summoner? Maybe he wants to make some circle and control them all! As a GM I could throw so many story hooks into that it would be awesome.
wodens_blade
D-Bee

or maybe its all an evil plot....and the city officials believe the Summoner controlled the ice demons!...ah, so many stories there.
Library Ogre

wodens_blade wrote:its been awhile since I have researched the Summoner’s circles…but wouldn’t something that big cause all kinds of logistics issues? What about a kid messing with the circles lines…or evil cult members removing ingredients and making the circle moot? Also…if I was in charge of the city and didn’t understand magic why would I trust this evil Summoner? Maybe he wants to make some circle and control them all! As a GM I could throw so many story hooks into that it would be awesome.

A lot depends on what circle you use. Now, looking at it, a simple protection circle would be both kinda useless (doesn't keep anything out) and relatively difficult (must be drawn in chalk or wax). However, a Protection from Elemental Forces circle would be invaluable, guarding the city from inclement weather and a lot of Palladium World combat magic.

You'd also get good mileage out of Protection from Evil or Protection from Good, though you have to keep a candle burning. Protection from the Jinn or Protection from Magic (simple) could also work, as could Protection from Undead. All six can be drawn in any substance, don't need to be sealed, and, except for Evil and Good, don't have consumable components that you have to keep fresh.

If I were designing a city, I'd lean heavily towards Protection from Elemental Forces, followed by Protection from Undead. Protection from Jinn seems a bit too limited; Protection from Magic is more broadly useful than Elemental Forces or Undead, but not as powerful. Good and Evil aren't useless, but are a lot more limited, especially for a city of any size.

I wonder how stuff like this influences city design in Palladium... circular cities with irregular foulburgs outside, outside the protection. Circular houses rung round with circles.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
Library Ogre

Interesting power circles to make a city inside:

Force: Temporary, renewable invulnerability for your city. Sure, you've got an hour's downtime between activation, but with a 4th level summoner making the circle, you're protected for 12 of the 24 hours in a day.

Knowledge: a dangerous one, but with great potential, even with the limited abilities granted by the owl's tongue (I'm going to assume you don't regularly sacrifice wolfen, dragons, wizards, or goblins to empower your city).

Power: An interesting option, but the requirement to spend 100 PPE per person empowered makes it a bit more controllable.

Some others could be neat (like Wonder, or Healing), but they require more exotic components to be drawn, making it less useful for a city.

All Palladium Articles
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

Thanks for all the feedback and advice! I hadn't considered a lot of the things you guys threw out there. I approached my GM about it, but he didn't seem interested in making that a thing in his game. Anyways, thanks again for all the help. I'm very new to palladium and loving it!
wodens_blade
D-Bee

hey good luck! glad we could help...keep the creative juices flowing though...
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

I have read a book that has a castle which is in the design of a magic circle. It had mortar reinforced which used blood as a component because in that series blood made magic circles stronger. I didn't ask where the blood came from. I highly doubt it was from willing donors. :)
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Would a permanence ward keep the candle burning too since it is a component?

If not, I guess there's always that Eternal Flame spell from Fire Warlocks.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:Would a permanence ward keep the candle burning too since it is a component?

If not, I guess there's always that Eternal Flame spell from Fire Warlocks.

If the candle burning is a condition of the circle functioning then yes, the ward would keep it going forever.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Library Ogre

I am not so sure that a permanence ward would keep the candle burning forever; consider that that means for the Wonder power circle, for example, with its unicorn horn candle. Or how that would work for a teleportation circle.

There are some magics that permanence can't make permanent, simply because their duration is not a function of time, but a function of some material being consumed.

REALLY like the idea of using Eternal Flame, though. My gut says that shouldn't work, but I'd probably rule of cool it.

All Palladium Articles
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:I am not so sure that a permanence ward would keep the candle burning forever; consider that that means for the Wonder power circle, for example, with its unicorn horn candle. Or how that would work for a teleportation circle.

There are some magics that permanence can't make permanent, simply because their duration is not a function of time, but a function of some material being consumed.

REALLY like the idea of using Eternal Flame, though. My gut says that shouldn't work, but I'd probably rule of cool it.

I would argue the other way myself. If a circle is permanently active its just that. What ever is needed to make that so will be done. So a Permanent Circle of Wonder will have an ever burning unicorn horn in it. A teleport circle wouldn't because its a trigger, but yes anyone burning wings in it will teleport.
I would definitely not allow an Eternal Flame to work. If it calls for a candle, then you need a candle, substitutions in magic don't work (that is what they have tables on 'failed activations' after all)

Library Ogre

eliakon wrote:I would argue the other way myself. If a circle is permanently active its just that. What ever is needed to make that so will be done. So a Permanent Circle of Wonder will have an ever burning unicorn horn in it. A teleport circle wouldn't because its a trigger, but yes anyone burning wings in it will teleport.
I would definitely not allow an Eternal Flame to work. If it calls for a candle, then you need a candle, substitutions in magic don't work (that is what they have tables on 'failed activations' after all)

Can you think of any example of something with consumable components that persist simply because of a permanence ward? There's plenty of "Will expire in X time" that are extended by permanence.

All Palladium Articles
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Mark Hall wrote:
eliakon wrote:I would argue the other way myself. If a circle is permanently active its just that. What ever is needed to make that so will be done. So a Permanent Circle of Wonder will have an ever burning unicorn horn in it. A teleport circle wouldn't because its a trigger, but yes anyone burning wings in it will teleport.

Can you think of any example of something with consumable components that persist simply because of a permanence ward? There's plenty of "Will expire in X time" that are extended by permanence.

When the books say "In the case of adding a permanence ward to a magic circle, the entire circle (one giant symbol) becomes indestructible and permanently energized and activated."
I read that as saying
1) that all the components of a circle are considered part of that circle, and thus become indestructible
2) that if the circle is permanently energized and activated that it has to be, always on and working. That means that wonder has to be healing people, otherwise its not energized and activated.....
3) that since removing a component/having a component run out of use in a circle turns off the circle, and that the description says that the circle can NOT be turned off, ever. Then the component can not be removed or run out.

So I would say that page 132 of the Palladium book is pretty much saying outright that using a Permanence ward on a circle will make it active, last for ever, make it impossible to turn off, and makes the components just as indestructible, and un-removable

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

The burning of the horn is the trigger for the circle of wonder, if the teleport circle isn't permanent the wonder circle wouldn't be permanent either. It would either be ever burning wings and horn, or because they are indestructible and cant be burnt the permanence ward would be useless for those circles (I'd vote the latter otherwise the world would be full of permanent circles, as demon/devil bone is easy to get as a summoner).
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

kiralon wrote:The burning of the horn is the trigger for the circle of wonder, if the teleport circle isn't permanent the wonder circle wouldn't be permanent either. It would either be ever burning wings and horn, or because they are indestructible and cant be burnt the permanence ward would be useless for those circles (I'd vote the latter otherwise the world would be full of permanent circles, as demon/devil bone is easy to get as a summoner).

The question of if a Teleport Circle would be permanent is....open actually. The books have used circles of teleport that did not need wings to teleport people before.
The other question though is what circles can be active. We already know that you can use a ward to make a summon circle active, and lock in the orders. This, by the book, will work. We have also seen circles of death, teleport, dimensional rift, matrix, and energy drain, force, protection from good, protection from evil.
so the question becomes, is the burning horn just a trigger, or is it a condition. I would, personally say its a condition since the circle lists the horn as one of the components, and the entire magic of the circle only works when the horn is burning. The Teleport circle though still can be active with some other abilities (such as being a valid teleport destination) with out the wings, and the wings only activate part of its magic (the active moving things from that circle, to the next one)
Ultimately it comes down to a GMs call (at least in the case of wonder), but its quite clear that normal means will NOT deactivate a permanent circle, which would suggest that you cant simply turn it off. Since removing/extinguishing candle would turn off the circle it seems unlikely to work.
For the record though, we already have an example of a circle of protection (good), being active continuously...which would mean that this circle is a legal target of the permanence ward.

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

eliakon wrote:
kiralon wrote:The burning of the horn is the trigger for the circle of wonder, if the teleport circle isn't permanent the wonder circle wouldn't be permanent either. It would either be ever burning wings and horn, or because they are indestructible and cant be burnt the permanence ward would be useless for those circles (I'd vote the latter otherwise the world would be full of permanent circles, as demon/devil bone is easy to get as a summoner).

The question of if a Teleport Circle would be permanent is....open actually. The books have used circles of teleport that did not need wings to teleport people before.
The other question though is what circles can be active. We already know that you can use a ward to make a summon circle active, and lock in the orders. This, by the book, will work. We have also seen circles of death, teleport, dimensional rift, matrix, and energy drain, force, protection from good, protection from evil.
so the question becomes, is the burning horn just a trigger, or is it a condition. I would, personally say its a condition since the circle lists the horn as one of the components, and the entire magic of the circle only works when the horn is burning. The Teleport circle though still can be active with some other abilities (such as being a valid teleport destination) with out the wings, and the wings only activate part of its magic (the active moving things from that circle, to the next one)
Ultimately it comes down to a GMs call (at least in the case of wonder), but its quite clear that normal means will NOT deactivate a permanent circle, which would suggest that you cant simply turn it off. Since removing/extinguishing candle would turn off the circle it seems unlikely to work.
For the record though, we already have an example of a circle of protection (good), being active continuously...which would mean that this circle is a legal target of the permanence ward.

I agree, a normal circle would be indestructible, I see the horn as a long duration trigger because the circle of wonder stops when it burns out rather than being level dependant, the teleport circle duration is just a lot shorter (1action) as that's how long it takes to burn away the wings.
Saying that though, if the characters came up with a clever way to set the indestructible horn on fire I'd allow it.
But that's a good way to make a castle wall more durable, just put a circle on the outside of it using very very thick lines and use a demon bone to make it permanent. Boulders should just bounce off the lines, except I guess the ward isn't indestructible as it only makes the circles ingredients indestructible.
Library Ogre

kiralon wrote:But that's a good way to make a castle wall more durable, just put a circle on the outside of it using very very thick lines and use a demon bone to make it permanent. Boulders should just bounce off the lines, except I guess the ward isn't indestructible as it only makes the circles ingredients indestructible.

How do you figure the boulders will bounce off? Even with a sealed circle, you can shoot missiles into it.

All Palladium Articles
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

You could 'draw' the circle with the wall itself being the lines/material of the circle. This works for a couple circles that can be 'drawn' in any substance. (GM being willing to allow that of course).
So, in theory you could make the walls part of the circle. The down side is that you may or may not be able to have tunnels through/in the walls when you make/'draw' it.

Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

How about you plan the city as the circle itself, streets and avenues in the shape of the particular circle you desire, would be an interesting design and pretty modern looking from above come to think of it (new trend in city designs for "cities of the future")

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Something like this is done in the anime Slayers for the city of Seyruun/Sailune

http://kanzaka.wikia.com/wiki/Saillune

The entire city is laid out as a massive circle of protection. As a result white magic is strengthened, black magic weakened, and monsters and demons can not enter the city.

Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:Something like this is done in the anime Slayers for the city of Seyruun/Sailune

http://kanzaka.wikia.com/wiki/Saillune

The entire city is laid out as a massive circle of protection. As a result white magic is strengthened, black magic weakened, and monsters and demons can not enter the city.

you almost beat me to it Eli, but came out better with an illustration. Love it. :ok:

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

kiralon
Champion

Unread post by kiralon »

Mark Hall wrote:
kiralon wrote:But that's a good way to make a castle wall more durable, just put a circle on the outside of it using very very thick lines and use a demon bone to make it permanent. Boulders should just bounce off the lines, except I guess the ward isn't indestructible as it only makes the circles ingredients indestructible.

How do you figure the boulders will bounce off? Even with a sealed circle, you can shoot missiles into it.

Vertical Circle :), but Eliakons idea of circle made of anything is better (Make the lines of your circle 30ft wide and 60ft tall, made out of Brick and mortar)
Library Ogre

Chronicle wrote:How about you plan the city as the circle itself, streets and avenues in the shape of the particular circle you desire, would be an interesting design and pretty modern looking from above come to think of it (new trend in city designs for "cities of the future")

Mentioned.

All Palladium Articles
URLeader Hobbes
Explorer

Unread post by URLeader Hobbes »

Interesting concept with some massive issues..

First the circle has to be drawn with a good level of symmetry. Ellipses and what not won't work. Also the lines have to be drawn strait and the symbols have to be clear/legible or else it won't work.

Now on the city scale this means a massive feat of engineering. Not only in the construction but also the placement of the items. It could be done, but it's gonna be one hell of a feat to accomplish. Literally you would have to design a city with this purpose in mind and then undertake a feat of engineering that literally would take years to complete.

Possible? Maybe with high levels of care and planning, but even small mistakes would set you back months, or even years.

Also the scalability would be in question as well. The summoner section wasn't written with a public works project in mind. So the costs might be higher than expected. You will also run into the sphere vs cylinder issue as well.

Does the circle make a dome over and under the city? Or is it more tube shaped going up into the sky? Also what happens if someone tunnels under the city?

Lots of unique possibilities but also a tough thing to accomplish from an engineering standpoint.

Although were it to be done I think that would make that city a wonder of the Palladium World.
Starmage21
Adventurer

Unread post by Starmage21 »

Actually, I do NOT think this would actually be such a massive undertaking. The requirement for the circle to be definitively circle-shaped (a perfect circle is NOT required, but an ovoid shape wont cut it) is easily done by placing the circle markings on the walls that surround the city, and the criss-cross patterns and placements for components can also be raised upon towers and walls that can allow the circle markings to be distinct and unbroken and also divide your city cleanly into districts. We know that the protections of a circle extend to just outside the drawing itself, so that means that if you use Mark Hall's idea about a Power Circle of Force, then your city (including its barrier walls, which are also the circle) are now protected by a force field!

There IS also rulings that cover how much protection the circle provides in terms of 3-dimensional movement, and IIRC it doesnt matter how far you are above or below the drawing, you aint getting in.
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

URLeader Hobbes wrote:Interesting concept with some massive issues..

First the circle has to be drawn with a good level of symmetry. Ellipses and what not won't work. Also the lines have to be drawn strait and the symbols have to be clear/legible or else it won't work.

Now on the city scale this means a massive feat of engineering. Not only in the construction but also the placement of the items. It could be done, but it's gonna be one hell of a feat to accomplish. Literally you would have to design a city with this purpose in mind and then undertake a feat of engineering that literally would take years to complete.

Possible? Maybe with high levels of care and planning, but even small mistakes would set you back months, or even years.

Also the scalability would be in question as well. The summoner section wasn't written with a public works project in mind. So the costs might be higher than expected. You will also run into the sphere vs cylinder issue as well.

Does the circle make a dome over and under the city? Or is it more tube shaped going up into the sky? Also what happens if someone tunnels under the city?

Lots of unique possibilities but also a tough thing to accomplish from an engineering standpoint.

Although were it to be done I think that would make that city a wonder of the Palladium World.

Even with the technology level of the Palladium world, it would be possible to draw a large city size circle correctly. Think of modern day surveying equipment and "dumb" it down to PFRPG. It's basic geometry that we learned in the 8th grade. You'd just need a BIG protractor.

Draw the circle and then add X component based on the circle, add permanency materials and PROFIT.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

I think youd have to draw the circle before the town is built but would allow it.

As for making a large perfect cirle just put a log in the center and a rope some hundreds of feet long, pull it tight and walk in a circlekeeping tension in place. Thousand plus feet of rope is heavy though so you supernatrual strength and all is gointo probably be needed.

You could do this on a smaller scale like with. 100 feet of rope in small camps on the border of a nation like say the wolfen kingdom and death premence wolfen, still want to build temporary walls and earthen emcampments for their alies but the idea would be suprising the first few times till some survivers got out to tell about it.
Then a mass of coyles sweep down apon you ..........but hey it was a good run.
Sir Dellis
Explorer
Comment: There is nothing like wearing Maize and Blue in a sea of putrid Scarlet and Gray.

Unread post by Sir Dellis »

Using the method I was talking about, you'd definitely have to do the circle before the city was built. Putting a circle up around an existing city would be quite difficult.
Lodisy
D-Bee

Unread post by Lodisy »

So, my original thought for dealing with walls and buildings and such, was to actually just paint the lines over top of them. Maybe this is covered in the book, but I couldn't find anything that said the lines must be on an even level when drawing them. I figured since the protection offered extends upwards and downwards, it doesn't really matter if its level. This would still take a bit of time, but would be much easier than building a city from scratch. I understand that you can disrupt about half of the circle's line without disrupting the magic of the circle, so just bricking over the majority of the circle should handle that, right?
torjones
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by torjones »

Lodisy wrote:I apologize if this has already been answered. I'm playing a summoner and I'm trying to earn some extra cash while maybe making the locals a little more tolerant of my dark and evil ways. The city was just attacked by ice demons and I thought the king might be amenable to paying me to put a circle of protection from demons around the city.

is this possible? If it is, what extra do I need to do? What would be a reasonable price to ask the king for? I'm level two so I still have standard 16 save circles. Though I understand lesser demons (such as the ones that attacked, cannot even enter within ten feet of the circle.

Thanks for the advice, even if it turns out I can't do it.

-JSL

Had someone playing a Pixie once upon a time in a phaseworld game. Tried to put a Circle around a planet. As the circle had to be done in chalk, I allowed the Pixie to learn to conjure chalk. If the character had done anything in game to figure out how to do it, I would have likely let it work, but as it was, it was amusing watching the pixie fail. Poor pixie must have circumnavigated the planet several times. Problem was, wasn't far enough out, and gravity would snap pieces of chalk of and pull it down the well, and it would burn up pretty quickly. Character never figured it out. Had to tell the player. Very amusing. :D

There's nothing in any of the summoner/shifter material that states that circles have to be of a certain size. So, logically, you want them big enough to do what you need them to do, and no bigger as the materials costs can get quite high... So, yeah, you can COP a city. It'll just be expensive in materials costs. depending on the material (Sorry, don't remember the material for a COP) it might not be very durable either... (A chalk circle don't last too long in the rain for example) just a couple things to keep in mind! :)

May The Force be with you always.
Torrey
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I just watched the finale of season 1 of Supernatural and it has me appreciating the idea of really huge protection symbols.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Klaus027
D-Bee

Unread post by Klaus027 »

I've always felt such a circle would work (around a city) by the rules, but I've felt it was a bad idea to allow or encourage in a game.

While the repercussions would be interesting:
1. "Most lesser demons, deevils and animals own't even try to enter a circle" Main Book pg. 138. No mice, rats, pigeons, seagulls, cats, dogs, horses, etc. in the circled city unless specifically brought in by a person.
2. If "sealed", than anyone in the circle would start taking 4d6 (start with S.D.C.) damage every melee round in the circle. One mad circle mage could take out a whole city. The spot where the circle can be "sealed" at would be a major flaw unless the circle was permanenced without the seal.
3. Gnomes move fast enough underground (Spd of 1d6 digging) to create a stable tunnel network under a city or village in a week or two. Protection from angels is a good one, as it can be drawn in any substance (flour could work), and the other components are a lump of salt, dish of water, burning candle, and an empty sealed jar. Seal the circle, and defeat the city.

the power level would be overkill.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Are godlings, immortals, demigods vulnerable to this circle??
Dark
Wanderer

Unread post by Dark »

I would instead suggest creating a Power Circle specifically for taking an existing, conventional sized, circle and linking with it to amplify the area onto a macro-scale. It would solve a lot of issues with the fiddly bits of having 'normal' Circles being that large and whether they would be maintainable etc. while also giving Summoners the ability to do large scale things that seem like they should be able to do etc.
V/R,

Dark

Adventure is someone else in deep ****, far far away.
If you want to learn something new, read an old book.
Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
My Keiretsu is bigger than yours.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:Are godlings, immortals, demigods vulnerable to this circle??

Depends on the circle in question, the being in question, and how your GM handles the question of what is a godling or demigod in PF

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”