What ever happened to the Cosmo knight book?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

[humor:] I bring you this gift of blank spaces, please use it in your next post.

[/humor]

if i read your post right...

1.) cosmo-knights have not been scrapped. their still in the phaseworld book, so its still valid. they just decided to wait on that particular book.
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Fri May 06, 2005 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

gadrin wrote:go over to www.nexusnine.net and propose a Cosmo Knight's Netbook.

they're doing Northern Gun now (if it's not done).

You can put into it exactly what you want.

wow.

1.) we're not fully done, but we're 90%. whats left is to just orginize and write the fluff.

2.) just an hour ago i started a thread on how dull phase world is when veiwed from a classic Sci-Fi lens, and it kinda evolved into a 3 galaxies netbook......
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: What ever happened to the Cosmo knight book?

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

holmberg wrote:I know they scraped the Cosmo Knight book in favour of Worlds of Worlock (still not out ARGH!?!??!?!) but why did they scrape the Cosmo Knight in the first place? Personally I would never play a Cosmo Knight but I do like to play my Fallen when I can (kind of twinkish I know) and I know there would have been stuff on Fallen Knights as well. Just think there is a whole subculture there that everyone would like to know about. They did a Cyber-knight book which I actually liked not for the new Cyberknight OCC but the history and culture of the knights. This is exactly what you could do with Cosmo Knights. Also Doesn't have to a huge book either (like Cyber-knight book).

I think the Cosmo-Knights book wasn't cancelled so much as it mutated into Anvil Galaxy...
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

gadrin wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:2.) just an hour ago i started a thread on how dull phase world is when veiwed from a classic Sci-Fi lens, and it kinda evolved into a 3 galaxies netbook......

for me it's the reverse: I can't stand most of Rifts Earth.

never mentioned RIFTS earth, did i?

mostly, i looked at it from the Niven/Asimov/Clarke perspective. lesse...nope. nothing close to the epic feel you got reading classic sci-fi.

heck, it even tanked compared the SG-1.

phase world has too many star wars/star trek retreads.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

daishi wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:
gadrin wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:2.) just an hour ago i started a thread on how dull phase world is when veiwed from a classic Sci-Fi lens, and it kinda evolved into a 3 galaxies netbook......

for me it's the reverse: I can't stand most of Rifts Earth.

never mentioned RIFTS earth, did i?

mostly, i looked at it from the Niven/Asimov/Clarke perspective. lesse...nope. nothing close to the epic feel you got reading classic sci-fi.

my current phase world campaign has stuff from dune, ring world, this alien shore, the hyperion series, and some cyberpunk stuff from otherland and snow crash

it's really what you decide to do with the setting, there is enough space in the 3Gs to do what you want. I may even add organic star ships from peter hamliton's reality dysfunction series if I feel like it (I really like the idea of a tranquility like habbitat)

i ignored any existing online or home games......because it's not canon. looking at just the official books/rifters its;

fighter....fighter....fighter....hey, that ship looks like a ISD.......ect.

every ship boils down to big laser cannon, anti-grav drive, and variable sheilds.

where are the races with non-gravitic drives? (ion, atomic, atomic pulse, ectera....)
where are the races who never invented sheilds, and never picked them up?
where are the races who never invented energy weapons?

you see where i'm going?

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I agree on the need for technologies that differ in both level and style. That being said you have magic based ships with Rift drives and magic shields instead of variables. Then there is Phase tech with Phase drives and Phase Shields, or even the Intruders. The CCW is slightly ahead of the TGE and other players, but not by huge leaps and bounds. The problem is with energy weapons, C-G drives and variable shields so widely available sooner or later any galactic civilization will pick them up.

Think of Babylon 5. You have the highest level of technology used by the Vorlons, Shadows and other Old Races with each having a specialty, but all being head and shoulders above the younger races. Then you have the cross overs like the Mimbari and Drak that use bits and pieces taken from the Ancients and the best tech of the younger races. Followed by the Centradi and other younger races that have been space born for awhile. The last group is split between humans and Narns who bought/stole there technology, and races like the Drazi that have home grown tech, but on a lower plane then some.

There should definately be lower tech races, but most that are lower then say Rifts Earth are not on the galatic scene. There might be lone individuals or small groups bumming around the 3Gs, but they will switch out their sdc pistol for a energy version as soon as they can muster the credits. I have used several worlds with technology ranging from late neolithic to Iron Age Europe to Modern Day America to near future(HU, N&SS, ect) all the way up to Rift as plot devices.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

There should definately be lower tech races, but most that are lower then say Rifts Earth are not on the galatic scene. There might be lone individuals or small groups bumming around the 3Gs, but they will switch out their sdc pistol for a energy version as soon as they can muster the credits. I have used several worlds with technology ranging from late neolithic to Iron Age Europe to Modern Day America to near future(HU, N&SS, ect) all the way up to Rift as plot devices.

who says? perhaps rifts earth missed some mathmatical concept that would have allowed us to colonize space back in the 60's.....

heck, in RL we could have reached mars by now if politics hadn't kept NASA's budget this side of low. some races might have had better luck than us in such respects. and we have more than enough plans for intersteller ships (bussard ramscoops, orion drives, ect.), we just lack the budget to develope them. other races might find them much more usable (for brute force exploration via relitivistic STL travel, but hey, what ever works.....)

and sure, lots of GM's have added such groups. but there are no easily attainable resources for this online. every 3G site i've found has been more of the canon types.

its rather like the powercreep in RIFTS. the books are the bottom line, and everyone feels they must do one better. no one bothers writing weaker material.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”