Wormwood: a lot of empty space?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Wormwood: a lot of empty space?

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

The scale of the maps in Wormwood are 1 half inch=160kilometers. And elsewhere in the book, Kevin writes that Wormwood "is about half the size of Earth". So...if Earth has a diameter of about 12,756 k, the diameter of Wormwood is roughly 6,378 k.

Makes sense so far.

But the width of the maps in the book is only 1,360
kilometers (8.5 inches x 160 klicks). So a full-sized map of Wormwood would be 4.5 pages wide!

Even better is the fact that it's 1,429 k from the Cathedral bottom page to the South Pole, and the same distance from the page top north of Lalibella to the North Pole.

So, in fact, Wormwood is absolutly huge and empty. Or is it...?
Last edited by Braden Campbell on Sat Feb 12, 2005 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: Wormwood: a lot of empty space?

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Lots of ghost towns.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Jesterzzn
Champion

Re: Wormwood: a lot of empty space?

Unread post by Jesterzzn »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:The scale of the maps in Wormwood are 1inch=160kilometers. And elsewhere in the book, Kevin writes that Wormwood "is about half the size of Earth". So...if Earth has a diameter of about 12,756 k, the diameter of Wormwood is roughly 6,378 k.

Makes sense so far.

But the width of the maps in the book is only 1,360
kilometers (8.5 inches x 160 klicks). So a full-sized map of Wormwood would be 4.5 pages wide!

Even better is the fact that it's 1,429 k from the Cathedral bottom page to the South Pole, and the same distance from the page top north of Lalibella to the North Pole.

So, in fact, Wormwood is absolutly huge and empty. Or is it...?

Maybe he means about 1/2 the mass of earth, in which case it would be much much smaller in terms of square miles of surface area.
:fool:
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

I'd say lots of empty spaces, yes... areas of sparser population, and probably much less intense fighting... maybe some kind of population reservoir for both sides.

The maps provided only depict the most populated area, and the one where most of the war is happening
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Braden Campbell

well...it got me sitting down today with the two maps photocopied, and some other, blank, 8.5 x11 " paper sheets. And I just started thinking about things and sketching in all that empty space.

And I got to thinking about some possible Rifter submissions about some other major features one could find on Wormwood (like the asteroid impact on the opposite hemisphere from Charun, the one that is several billion years old, 1600 kilometers across, and ringed with mountains filled with warring tribes of Mountain Giants.) And os who else might be fighting the Unholy of the upper left or right of the Lands of Darkness (like a feudal Japanese Empire north east of Kriegstar, or maybe something opposite to the Cathedral, something more Islamic in tone).

My point is, there is a crapload of empty room just waiting to filled up. Kind of like how Middle Earth is really only the Western coast of a larger, undefined continent. Other factions. Other evils. Other mysteries.

Keep watching this space...
Braden, GMPhD

Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Steve Conan Trustrum »

The campaign I ran to test out a lot of my Wormwood home brew material had the players go off the official map, into the "Wastelands." I had entirely new cultures out there, fighting or siding with the Unholy in an aspect of the war that the Cathedral was entirely unaware of.

All that extra space gives the GM plenty of opportunity to go wacky with ideas.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Trustrum.com | Misfits In Action Web Comic
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:It shares space wth the Coalition's 3.5 million spare SAMAS Suits, Dog Boys & Skelebots supply, the Tundra Ranger's funds and the pocket dimension used by the CS to sneak the troops through the Hivelands.
:lol: Awesome.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Braden Campbell

Steve Conan Trustrum wrote:The campaign I ran to test out a lot of my Wormwood home brew material had the players go off the official map, into the "Wastelands." I had entirely new cultures out there, fighting or siding with the Unholy in an aspect of the war that the Cathedral was entirely unaware of.

I remember. Steve, you used to have a ton of stuff about Corsairs, or Wanderers, or whatever they were called...they were Land Sailors of some kind, and roamed the vast emptyness, trading and fighting.

Any chance you could fire a copy my way, as well as those trade and barter tables you once had on the site? Please...
Braden, GMPhD

Braden Campbell

Actaully...never mind, Steve. I used the search fuction, and to my surprise, found everything I was looking for in old posts.

Dear God, man, but you came up with a lot of material. How long did you run a wormwood campaign, and how well was it recieved?
Braden, GMPhD

Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Actaully...never mind, Steve. I used the search fuction, and to my surprise, found everything I was looking for in old posts.

Dear God, man, but you came up with a lot of material. How long did you run a wormwood campaign, and how well was it recieved?

I ran several back in high-school, which led to some of the material popping up here and there, but the one that finally saw me use my fully expanded version of Wormwood went for about a year, on and off, and was easily one of the best, most enjoyable campaigns I've run.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

DarkWarriorKarg wrote:It shares space wth the Coalition's 3.5 million spare SAMAS Suits, Dog Boys & Skelebots supply, the Tundra Ranger's funds and the pocket dimension used by the CS to sneak the troops through the Hivelands.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Josh Sinsapaugh
Comment: Carrying friends out of crowds and standing in the doorway looking like the Jack of Hearts since November 2008.

Unread post by Josh Sinsapaugh »

Maybe the scale is off.

Although the possibility for a bugzillion Rifter submissions intrigues me.
Steve Conan Trustrum
Dungeon Crawler

Josh Sinsapaugh wrote:Maybe the scale is off.

Although the possibility for a bugzillion Rifter submissions intrigues me.

The scale makes sense to me because you'd need a lot of space between communities because of the simple fact that, without even the available resources of the simplest feudal community of Earth, a society would need to ensure there weren't too many people fighting for what little there is.
Steven "Conan" Trustrum

Braden Campbell

Just thought I would let those who care know that I am well on my way to writing NEW Wormwood material for the Rifter to consider.

So far, it will delve into the history of the the Living Planet from 1000 years ago until present day, describe the rise of the Cathedral and its growing schism with the Inner Light Faith, and a description of the fall of the "old human Empire" (for lack of a cooler name at the time of this writing).

New places to frolic and play comprise the next two pages to the right of the Wormwood map as presented in the book., including...

THE FRONT: a massive system of WW1-esque trenches where Freelancers and the forces of evil throw each other into a 1000 year long meatgrinder.
THE FAR SOVERENTIES: a collection of states that have broken away from the Cathedral, including one which still possess the means to make Soulstuff
EZUD, THE EASTERN REALM: found east of the Dark Domain, this is the last remnant of the old human empire...

The new material will give the war a few new players, as well as the means to play up differing human kingdoms should you be growing bored (as I was) with just bashing monsters. All in all, it shold make the setting more detailed and complex, which is always good for gamers.
Braden, GMPhD

dmos

Wormwood info

Unread post by dmos »

Hey all. Could anyone send me Wormwood info, like the stuff being talked about here. I want to read it all so I can get a real good understanding of the wormwood that might be out there, beyond whats in the book. My email is dmos1183@gmail.com. Thanks guys!
Braden Campbell

If you swear to God not to steal my ideas...I guess you can look at some of Brave New Wormwood...

I'll send you a Word document later in teh week. Better clear some reading time, though. She's big....
Braden, GMPhD

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Will you show more info on Ezud:the Eastern Realm?

What is ther Population?

Who is ther Current leader?

What O.C.C,s are in Ezud?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Hold on a sec! If the entire continent of the PFRPG is the same size east/west as the USA, then this is possible too. :P
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Is that the same one that dimenional pockets added to clothing reach into?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

They left some blank spaces for GMs to fill up.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”