perception rolls ?

1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk Palladium Fantasy.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Re: perception rolls ?

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

They were orginally in the Nightbane core book and have made to a few others since then.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
The Dark Elf
Rifter® Contributer
Comment: "So gentlemen, are you prepared to open your minds and travel to worlds hitherto undreamed of?"

Unread post by The Dark Elf »

I use an avergae perception roll of 12 (roll over) as I always eneded up using that in Nightspawn.

Sometimes I just get them to roll under their IQ to notice something unusual.
Rifter 52 Cannibal Magic
Rifter 55 The Ancestral Mystic P.C.C.
Rifter 59 The Lopanic Games adventure "The Lion, the Ditch & the Warlock". Illustrations to this adventure can be found here.
Rifter 71 & 72 Double Issue Ninjas & Superspies adventure "On a Wing & a Prayer"
Rifter 80 Masters Unlimited
Brewski
D-Bee

Unread post by Brewski »

I give my players two additional % numbers
Luck: MA x 3 + 3per level of exp.
Kind of like karma. But if the player keeps up with misdeeds I start docking Luck% (Bad Karma)

Perception: IQ x 3 + 3per level of exp.
The more skilled a person is the more apt they are to notice something.

I use luck for any time they need to luck out of something or a freebie to accedently perform a skill they really cant do.

Perception is for noticing something that is important but they didnt mention they was doing any specific snooping around. I also use it to see if they may remember something. Kind of another catch all %.

I use one or the other to help the players out with out saying "Well ok this happens." I like to keep the game up to the dice, not just by will of the GM.
St. Evil
Explorer
Comment: Looking to start the Really Evil League of Evil, because the League of Evil wasn't evil enough.

Unread post by St. Evil »

Depending on how difficult or obscure I will give them a percentile roll where they roll under IQx 1-4, and if they succeed then they see or remember whatever is needed.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Shawn Merrow wrote:They were orginally in the Nightbane core book and have made to a few others since then.

The perception rules were 1st printed in the NightSpawn main book.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Shawn Merrow
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:They were orginally in the Nightbane core book and have made to a few others since then.

Don't want to send him searching for a book under a title that is not used anymore. That is why I used the current title.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Shawn Merrow wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Don't want to send him searching for a book under a title that is not used anymore. That is why I used the current title.

Maybe we should of said something like "The perception rules were first printed in the NightSpawn main book, before it was turned into NightBane due to the idiot McFarland decided to sue."
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

There is a canon system which I have never used

I base it off of the characters attributes;
IQ+ME/2x5%
IQ for pure information gathering
ME for information sorting
I look at someone with a high IQ but low ME as a mad or schtzophrenic professor, knowing much but not being able to prioritize information. The lab is on fire they run to get he extinguisher but pass by the chalk board and suddenly they are caught up in the problem presented until the fire reminds him that he might just die

The other way around would be the dumb yet single minded individual who will stop at noting to attain whatever they set out to do. Perhaps like forest gump, running for hundreds of miles, for no real apparent reason.
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
Library Ogre
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

FWIW, I tend to use a multiple of IQ, and roll it as a percent. That way, it scopes well with opposed rolls for skills.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Northern Ranger
Hero
Comment: Twenty year player of PF.
Fifteen year GM.
Creator and writer.
All around good guy.

Unread post by Northern Ranger »

I've always played it as four distinct numbers that must be rolled over, the easier the thing to be percieved, the lower the number rolled, the harder the perception, the higher the number. The numbers I've always used are 3, 6, 12 and 16. Certain skills (at least as I've re-written them!) give bonuses to lower these numbers, making some people more observant than others. It may be over simplifying, but it has always worked for me.
This world is far too small not to want to see it all, but life is far too short to allow that to happen. - Falcon, Ranger (My primary hero in PFRPG setting)

"Unhand me you slobbering son of an Orcish whore!" - Ariana Moonstone, Palladin (Another primary character of mine.)

"Bastard!" War cry of Strut, Barbarian Mercenary. (That's for you James!)

300 Geek Points (So Far)
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

well, I use Speed a bit;
-Movement=Spd per second with walking running jogging etc in consideration
-Use it for Initiative Strike Parry Dodge bonus, akin to TMNT at +1 per 10 pts
-Use it to help figure out base number of attacks. As opposed to doing the 2 for being alive. (PP+Spd)/10)/2=Base Actions with some limitations involved
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.

Return to “Palladium Fantasy RPG®”