Looking for Robotech references

Whether it is a Veritech or a Valkyrie, Robotech or Macross II, Earth is in danger eitherway. Grab your mecha and fight the good fight.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Chronicler
Adventurer
Comment: "... and that is why you should never put a spork in a toaster."
-Over heard conversation in highschool

Looking for Robotech references

Unread post by Chronicler »

Hi I'm a new user on these forums, I'm planning my first Robotech RPG (and first game I get to GM), and I need some references for world building. It would also help with my little pet project Robotech Alt timeline.

thank you
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Looking for Robotech references

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Options:
-watch the Series/OVAs
-novels (already essentially an AU)
-comics (wide coverage here that range from simple adaption of the series to new material that can range from canon to non-canon currently)
MilkManX
Wanderer
Comment: Not a fan boy or a purist. I like to play Robotech because the game world is fun and interesting much like the 1985 show.

Unread post by MilkManX »

What era are you planning? Watch the show but in particular what era you are playing. Take some notes. I find the easiest era to play is the New Gen because of the nomadic/desolate earth.
http://robotechfans.proboards.com

You're out here on your own.
Lonely soldier boy.
Chronicler
Adventurer

I have watched all of the robotech series as a kid (and have the macros saga on dvd), and I was planning a short campaign in the new generation era. I just need some more ideas and world history background for my alt timeline project. Plus pic's would help too.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

ShadowLogan wrote:Options:
-watch the Series/OVAs
-novels (already essentially an AU)
-comics (wide coverage here that range from simple adaption of the series to new material that can range from canon to non-canon currently)

agrees
Add's in 'Graphic Novels' to the comics listing. And adding old-canon to the () text.

The Robotech 1st ed books are also a good source for areas "not yet covered by 2nd ed books".
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Chronicler
Adventurer

Sorry guys didn't see the robotech resource thread. :oops: Some of the links are broken but other site from it are a good start. Plus with the family on vacation I'm thinking of re-watching the robotech series if its on Netflix. Also discovered that tumblr has a bunch of people posting robotech (and macross) photos, so now I have a bunch of pic refs for players.

Now just have to start on that timeline, which by the way that thread about robotech being depressing got me thinking about adding a little hope and more varied universe to roll play in. But that's for another topic 8)
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Unread post by silvermoon383 »

If you're doing an Earth-based game and it's post Rain of Death, what I find helpful for world building is that I pick a place I know (or can do research about) and think of a reason why the PCs would need to go there. This even works pre-Rain technically, but it's not quite as fun.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

what kind of world building do you have in mind?
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Seto Kaiba
Knight
Comment: "My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie."

Unread post by Seto Kaiba »

Chronicler wrote:Hi I'm a new user on these forums, I'm planning my first Robotech RPG (and first game I get to GM), and I need some references for world building. It would also help with my little pet project Robotech Alt timeline.

thank you

There's pretty much no such thing as a reliable Robotech resource... though the best you can do on that front without resorting to the OSM is the official Robotech.com Infopedia and the RTSC art book.

Chronicler wrote:Plus with the family on vacation I'm thinking of re-watching the robotech series if its on Netflix.

Robotech was removed from Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube recently, for reasons unexplained.
Macross2.net - Home of the Macross Mecha Manual

Zer0 Kay wrote:Damn you for anticipating my question. I've really got to unfoe you, your information is far more valuable than my sanity when dealing with your blunt callousness. :)
Chronicler
Adventurer

glitterboy2098 wrote:what kind of world building do you have in mind?

More along the lines of what can I change before I break the universe. And more info on the robotech setting to do those changes.

Robotech was removed from Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube recently, for reasons unexplained.[/quote]

Well there goes my week :x
silvermoon383
Wanderer

Unread post by silvermoon383 »

I'm willing to bet the removal was due to a license expiration or change. They did just change distributors to Lionsgate (though I'll admit I'm not sure if that was for LLA only), so that might cause a change in how everything is distributed.
Colonel Wolfe
Knight
Comment: Poster's making baseless accusations of illegal actions go on the Foe list...

Unread post by Colonel Wolfe »

Robotech has disappeared on and off from netflix for the past few years... so its not really a sign of anything imo....
Give another Gamer a hand up with his education.
"By no means am I an expert on Southern Cross (I cordially detest the series)"-Seto
"Truth is determined by the evidence, not some nonexistent seniority system."-Seto

Return to “Robotech® - The Shadow Chronicles® - Macross II®”