Coolest profession for a Werebear

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lao Tzume
Explorer

Unread post by Lao Tzume »

So I'm making an NPC that is a Werebear for a campaign I'm running. I don't want him to be a simple man at arms because he doesn't really need weapons since his attacks, on their own, are pretty decent.

So I thought of making him a Ley Line Walker. I'm having him be able to cast spells while in bear form since the Conversion book says Were-people are always in control and not the frenzied berserker beings they're made out to be.

Anyway, I thought Ley Line Walker would be cool or Undead slayer(although tattoos might be tough to activate through all that hair).

What OCC would you make him?
taalismn
Priest

Re: Coolest profession for a Werebear

Unread post by taalismn »

Throw Rug.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lao Tzume
Explorer

taalismn wrote:Throw Rug.

Haha.

No one would ever suspect he was about to maul them.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Black Market Banker. :)
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

Psion Class like a Mind Melter, or even Burster.

Casting spells in Bear Form maybe hard. I know in some of the rules, it states there are gestures that the mage has to do in order for the magic to go off, and that would be hard with Bear Paws.
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
taalismn
Priest

Lao Tzume wrote:
taalismn wrote:Throw Rug.

Haha.

No one would ever suspect he was about to maul them.

Seriously?
Ludicrous Mage. If he can't make it as a stand-up, he can always go as an animal act.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Lao Tzume
Explorer

Brayon wrote:Psion Class like a Mind Melter, or even Burster.

Casting spells in Bear Form maybe hard. I know in some of the rules, it states there are gestures that the mage has to do in order for the magic to go off, and that would be hard with Bear Paws.

You know, I thought about that as well.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If the char met the requirements, then a bear-??(human? elf?etc..?) were-person would most likely have a wilderness related class. What region the NPC is from should be considered when choosing the class for the NPC.

For magic classes a (earth)Warlock, Fusionist, Shaman.
For adventurers: Wilderness scout,.... (can't think thought this headache so that is all off hand right now)
For Men at arms I would look at the classes in New west and Spirit West.

A super-spy with the camouflage as a bear throw rug...hummmmm.I don't think so. ;)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
taalismn
Priest

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:A super-spy with the camouflage as a bear throw rug...hummmmm.I don't think so. ;)

"Well, here's a first; 007 is submitting for reimbursement of medical expenses; injuries incurred in a Canadian ski lodge."
"Strained himself during his 'activities', no doubt."
"Mauled by a bear, actually, INSIDE the cabin."

"Honest to god, Earl, you take one more hot shower, you're going to scald your fur off!"
"I need to feel CLEAN!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Elemental Fusionist.

That would keep with his natural / wilderness abilities theme.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

With Diablo 2 being what comes to mind when I read Werebear for some reason, I want to say 'Druid'. Of course the Elemental Fusionist has a lot of similar abilities.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

um.. IIRC, were-bears don't get to pick an OCC. just their RCC skills.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

glitterboy2098 wrote:um.. IIRC, were-bears don't get to pick an OCC. just their RCC skills.

True, with most Were-things, they can not select an O.C.C.. However, I'm thinking the OP GM is creating a NPC that goes beyond the standard R.C.C. and is allowing one as part of a cool villian, or Helper NPC. :-D
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

I kinda like the idea of playing up the protector/healer aspect of bears, maybe one of the england druids. Usually a kindly healer who you wouldn't like when it gets angry
Lao Tzume
Explorer

Brayon wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:um.. IIRC, were-bears don't get to pick an OCC. just their RCC skills.

True, with most Were-things, they can not select an O.C.C.. However, I'm thinking the OP GM is creating a NPC that goes beyond the standard R.C.C. and is allowing one as part of a cool villian, or Helper NPC. :-D

You get me! I'd like him to be a PC once we hit the next campaign with my group and I take a break as GM and PC but that char would be pretty overpowered.

Druid is a good idea! I've never thought much of them in Rifts but I'll have to take a look.

My inspiration is sort of based on Lupin from Harry Potter. Only more gruff and burly since he's a bear. I imagine a shaggy bearded man. Throwing fireballs and lightning at you until he runs out of PPE. That's when he changes into a giant bear and starts truly ******* everybody up.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

A weapons manufacturer called 'Bear Arms'. Their slogan is, "You Have The Right To Bear Arms!" :D
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Incriptus wrote:I kinda like the idea of playing up the protector/healer aspect of bears, maybe one of the england druids. Usually a kindly healer who you wouldn't like when it gets angry

About like the badger female guardians of the Abbey in Redwall. They'll all nice and kindly until you make the mistake of threatening the beings who live there, especially the children. Then, well, then their digging ability comes in handy for digging all the graves of the former threats. Even the old blind one was a killing machine.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Or a Earth Element Warlock. What about a City Rat Werebear?
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Little Snuzzles wrote:
Looonatic wrote:A weapons manufacturer called 'Bear Arms'. Their slogan is, "You Have The Right To Bear Arms!" :D

:lol:

What about "You have the right to arm bears?"

http://www.demotivationalposters.org/im ... 985223.png
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Not initially, no, though at a later point, like anyone, they can select a NEW class. They just can't start off with one.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
AzathothXy
Adventurer

Unread post by AzathothXy »

The firefighter OCC from Chaos Earth.
The Nuclear Chaos
That thing is not dead which has the capacity to continue to exist eternally,
And if the abnormal ones come,then death may cease to be
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Beekeeper. Is there an OCC for that?
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Professional Wrestler Showman, as part of a Travelling Show.
Looonatic
Adventurer

Unread post by Looonatic »

I think that whatever occupation he decides to take, he could probably grin and Bear it. :)
--The more powerful you are, the less tacos you get.--
Eclipse
Adventurer

Unread post by Eclipse »

Hotrod wrote:Beekeeper. Is there an OCC for that?

Rifts Mystic Russia - Old Believer (a wilderness mystic who even has some specific honey spells).
And if... somone whipped out a mini gun. We run and hide. lol.

Now.. some guys won't... and you can say nice things at their funeral. "He was a brave soul.... if stupid.. he didn't take cover when the guy whipped out the mini gun on us that day.. but his blood-fountaining corpse did give us a chance to sneak around and clonk the machine gunner on the head with a rock. Rest in Pieces.... Swiss Cheese Man.....

Pepsi Jedi
Akashic Soldier
Knight
Comment: Theres space for a paper airplane race in the eye of a hurricane.

Unread post by Akashic Soldier »

A bouncer at a gay bar. :P

Seriously though, why not just go for the classic Wilderness Scout?
"I flew back to the states just to vote for Trump."
Mumpsimus can be defined as someone who obstinately clings to an error, bad habit or prejudice, even after the foible has been exposed.
I will not answer posts/questions/accusations by people on my foes list.
The Ugly Truth - Carl Gleba on the Cabal of 24.
Rifts® Online: Megaversal Highway.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Miner OCC from Paladium Fantasy, since we all know the 'grizzled miner' is a cliché.....why not have him be part grizzly :D
*ducks*
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Coolest....Tundra Ranger.

Especially if it is a Polar Bear Were-person.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Tor wrote:

Not initially, no, though at a later point, like anyone, they can select a NEW class. They just can't start off with one.

What if it isn't via RCC, but rather by some form of the Lycantropy Curse. Wouldn't they keep their base-line OCC?

As for Profession... if one is trying to avoid the Men-at-arms:
-Eco-wizard (Dinosaur Swamp), if one wants to maintain some link to nature, use magic, and get some magic items
-Psi-Healer type (Palladium Fantasy, or just Psychic/magic or class with emphasis on healing), just someone's over-sized cute cuddly teddy bear
-Psi-Nullifier/Nega-Psychic OCC (IIRC it's listed as a PCC or RCC, but given the CS can make them in people I would say it is an OCC)
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

ShadowLogan wrote:
Tor wrote:

What if it isn't via RCC, but rather by some form of the Lycantropy Curse. Wouldn't they keep their base-line OCC?

-Eco-wizard (Dinosaur Swamp), if one wants to maintain some link to nature, use magic, and get some magic items
-Psi-Healer type (Palladium Fantasy, or just Psychic/magic or class with emphasis on healing), just someone's over-sized cute cuddly teddy bear
-Psi-Nullifier/Nega-Psychic OCC (IIRC it's listed as a PCC or RCC, but given the CS can make them in people I would say it is an OCC)

Lycanthropy is a Major Power in HU2. So, it is possible that they could have an O.C.C. and the "mutant" ability.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

ShadowLogan wrote:What if it isn't via RCC, but rather by some form of the Lycantropy Curse. Wouldn't they keep their base-line OCC?

You can but most characters don't start off cursed. I think there's some kind of werewolf curse in a PF world book but I keep forgetting where and what its details are.

Brayon wrote:Lycanthropy is a Major Power in HU2. So, it is possible that they could have an O.C.C. and the "mutant" ability.
True, though major-ability Lycanthropes are not true werebeasts, they lack the invulnerability and all that.

In which case you can pick an adventurer OCC like wilderness scout. Or be a bear city rat.
Mallak's Place
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mallak's Place »

Circus act. he wears a tootoo and rides a small motorcycle.

Return to “Rifts®”