Fed. of Magic: Revised question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Mr Grinch
D-Bee
Comment: The Green Perpendicular are Yellow Shifting our White Vertex into a Green Obtuse. Black Bisector is needed!

Fed. of Magic: Revised question

Unread post by Mr Grinch »

Yeah yeah, been awhile...good to see familiar and not-so familiar faces..blah blah :P

Finally opened and started reading WB: 16 and I have to ask.

Where did the "Over 140 new spells.." go? The Book of Magic?

I hope not cause thats a $40 book dammit.

Peace
The Grinch had a wonderful, awful idea!
PigLickJF
Adventurer

Re: Fed. of Magic: Revised question

Unread post by PigLickJF »

Mr Grinch wrote:Where did the "Over 140 new spells.." go? The Book of Magic?

Yep, I believe that's exactly what happened.

PigLick
Ice Dragon
Hero

Re: Fed. of Magic: Revised question

Unread post by Ice Dragon »

PigLickJF wrote:
Mr Grinch wrote:Where did the "Over 140 new spells.." go? The Book of Magic?

Yep, I believe that's exactly what happened.

PigLick

It is gone to the Book of Magic - lucky me, I own a non reveresed edition :D.
It is always a bad thing when political matters are allowed to affect the planning of operations (Field Marshal Erwin Rommel, 1943)

Nelly ~ He's one romantic smooth operator and a true old school gentleman. Heck he's an Austrian officer, it's in his blood.

Co-Holder with Jefffar of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

10 + 100 Geek Points (Danger + Shawn Merrow)
Temporalmage
Hero

Unread post by Temporalmage »

To quote from Palladiums own catalog: Since the Rifts Book of Magic contains all spells, we saw no reason to reprint the spells that originally appeared in this book. We are replacing it with data, people and places in the magic city of Dweomer.
http://world8.monstersgame.co.uk/?ac=vid&vid=190003553
And TemporalMage went to the last page, Refusing to follow the trend." Ode to the Teleport Thread by The Fifth Business
And remember, "Book, Page number, and Quote", not, "Proclaim, Posture, and Belittle all those who think otherwise". Dead Boy
dakota
Wanderer

Unread post by dakota »

Herald of Shadow wrote:
DarkWarriorKarg wrote:
Lancer wrote:
I think we need a "Players Handbook (a book filled of OCC's and RCC's)"

You mean Encyclopedia? :lol:

naw. he means bought out by a cataloging company & retooled into something that, while called Rifts, would be a fundamentally different game to placate the influx of infants the complain that the whole thing is 'unfair'.

They'd have to drop the Rifter so they could start a "Character's Book of the Month" club
I'm not sick, I'm twisted. Sick sounds like there is a cure....

Administrator of The Playground
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Lancer wrote:I guess I need to get this book...

Its very odd... Since PB is know of *reprinting the same crap* that they decided not to *reprint the same crap*...

This might be a good thing (I hope)

Maybe Rifts will go the way of D&D...

Since we have the GM's guide book and the Book of magic...

I think we need a "Players Handbook (a book filled of OCC's and RCC's)"

Also... I would really hope to god that Conversion Book 4 would come out with *NO REPRINTS!!!* too!

:D

Well if you want the new stuff and you have the original book you have to buy the book again with all the other stuff still there. So it's just like a reprint. Only more so.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Yeah I've always felt a bit ripped off that I have shown so much loyalty to Palladium Books and then they decide after I buy a book to change the data in it. I feel that now I need to buy both FoM again and the Book of Magic. Which I wont do either.

I really think that if they had to change the info they should have published that info that we missed out on the website instead of making us buy the book again.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

z0b wrote:Yeah I've always felt a bit ripped off that I have shown so much loyalty to Palladium Books and then they decide after I buy a book to change the data in it. I feel that now I need to buy both FoM again and the Book of Magic. Which I wont do either.

I really think that if they had to change the info they should have published that info that we missed out on the website instead of making us buy the book again.

Fat chance.
They can't even get the stuff they say they are going to put up on the website up.
Space spells anyone? :rolleyes:
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

HEhehehehe...

I "bought" my Revised Conversion Book by subscribing to the Rifter! :D
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I know, I posted my companints when this same thing happened to me a few months ago.

in fact, I think it's still down a page or two here.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Vrykolas2k
Champion
Location: A snow-covered forest, littered with the bones of my slain enemies...

Unread post by Vrykolas2k »

z0b wrote:Yeah I've always felt a bit ripped off that I have shown so much loyalty to Palladium Books and then they decide after I buy a book to change the data in it. I feel that now I need to buy both FoM again and the Book of Magic. Which I wont do either.

It's like... D&D 3rd to D&D 3.5... or... or... Star Wars D20 to Revised... or...
Never mind.
"Hey, ma, I coulda been a contendah!!"
Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls... these are a few of my favourite things.

I am the first angel, loved once above all others...

Light a man a fire, and he's warm for a day; light a man on fire, and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Turning the other cheek just gets you slapped harder.

The Smiling Bandit (Strikes Again!! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha!)
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Same with GURPS...all the new editions did was clean-up rules, and make things "easier" to understand (which was supposedly the purpose with "GURPS Lite"), etc...

You can, with minor mods, still use the 1st Ed GURPS as is. :D

(TFG did the same with Star Fleet Battles, clear-up problems and close loopholes when they issued their new edition back in the early 90's...which considering I have all three boxed sets, plus all the "1st ed" supplements - to the tune of $3-500 - made me very happy... :D All I have to do (some day) is sit down with the new Rule Books, and make notes on changes!)
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

volkmar wrote:While it is true that it always suck when a book we bought get "revised", i think we should be just grateful PB is so adherent to their formula..

I mean... let's look in other's companies yards for a moment, shall we? Wizards got a complete revision of the D&D system from 3 to 3.5 making me buy all three basic book AGAIN PLUS the player's guide to Faerun that basically did the 3.0->3.5 conversion for Faerun.

Oh! Without speaking of all those "Sword and Fist" or "Masters of the Wild" series of book that i can now throw in the trashbin as hopelessy outdated... yep, lucky me. Now i have to buy the "Complete" series. 2 already got and more to come...Yaiii!

Enough WoTc? Right. White Wolf. Beside having 3 editions of all their major systems in the last 20 years, WW books never tell you for what edition they are for. So, for example, i've the mage Revised edition (latest) BUT my player's guide is for 2nd edition.... inconsistency over inconsistency.

Not to say they just decided to send all to Apocalypse and restart from scratch. Yai for me again! lucky me! can buy gazzilions of manual once again!

GURPS is doing edition number 4, HERO system is in number 5 AND getting 5 "Revised" out of the door in couple months...

Morale of the story? Everybody makes "Revised" or "New" edition so they can make money. I'm actually surprised PB do not do it that often. They must be unique.... And... beside... 2nd edition can be quite good if done nicely!

When Rifts 2nd Edition will come???

I agree with you about D&D. Although I am a big fan of D&D I was not at all impressed with 3.5. I still bought it mainly because I did not want to do any conversions.

WW imo really had no choice with a new edition. They had painted themselves into a corner from which there was no getting out of short of destroying the WOD. Again it does not make me happy but I find it more of a valid revision than 3.5 was.

Gurps needed a revision and needed one badly. Too may things were spread out across too many books. It suffered from "To use book a you need book B, C, DA etc. Plus their vehicle creation were the worst I have seen in the rpg market. Comprehensive but complicated at least for the new player. Plus a lot of the sourcebooks were starting to show their age and in some of them the art was poor.

Hero on the other hand is doing the right decision. The main complaint is and has always been "it's too complicated" or "it requires a calculator." The 5th edition was a much better than previous editions but was written mostly for old players/fans of Hero which was a mistake imo. In this industry you have to please old fans and at the same time get new ones interested in the game. Problem is the rules can be too intimating at times for the new player.

They decided to release a watered down version of the revised 5th edition rules to see how it would ne received. It did well beyond what they were expecting. The problem being that Hero System Sidekick does not have all you need to run a game. It's a good introduction but they left it simple for new players.

The Hero System revised book will contain all the errata they can fit in. A compilation of all the new advatages/powers/disadvatages from other products they have released in the last three years and it will be written for both the new and old player in mind.

As it stands I really think Palladium could use a new edition. If I have to buy new books for it so be it. I think it would help sales. I don't expect it to happen but you never know.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

To answer your question about "Palladium system, Basic Rules" would it work I say yes. Keep most of the rules, take into account fan input and whatever you do make sure it's not a copy and paste job. I can see it working. The trend in gaming seems to fit that concept. Release a core rulebook and work around it.
MikePGS
D-Bee

Unread post by MikePGS »

in my opinion, they should just release a Core update book, that has all the rules explicitly written out and revised so that there is no doubt about what version prevails... they don't need to revise all the books, just make the core book, and have everything done after use that as the main book for specific rules guides... like clarifications and things...later

Return to “Rifts®”