dimensional raiders

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

DBX
Hero

dimensional raiders

Unread post by DBX »

Dimesional Raiders vs Centre. anyone pulled this of successfully. how would you go about it, & what sort of things could pull it off
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Honestly... I don't see any raid on Center being successful.

They have excellent defences against raiders arriving at the big D Gates area, and anybody arriving from space would probably never even penetrate Center itself

Of course you could get in by "random" rift... but that would take you to the lower levels, where you might have a field day of rape and slaughter, but not do anything of much significance in the way of inconveniencing authorities, or getting much worth looting.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

Svartalf wrote:Honestly... I don't see any raid on Center being successful.

They have excellent defences against raiders arriving at the big D Gates area, and anybody arriving from space would probably never even penetrate Center itself

Of course you could get in by "random" rift... but that would take you to the lower levels, where you might have a field day of rape and slaughter, but not do anything of much significance in the way of inconveniencing authorities, or getting much worth looting.

pulling a "HEIST" on centre surely can be done? even if it is a theory? what sort of group & its size could do it. never really rp'ed it out, but has anyone even attempted this or thinks they have ways of pulling this one.

like you i thought it would not be going in by normal means, but you have to enter from the sublevels. so that is the first step. is that the starting point
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

a heist... you mean like a small group of thieves targeting a specific place and trying to plunder it?

more doable than any large scale armed raid... but I go with Zerebus, it's on Mission : Impossible order.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

Svartalf wrote:a heist... you mean like a small group of thieves targeting a specific place and trying to plunder it?

more doable than any large scale armed raid... but I go with Zerebus, it's on Mission : Impossible order.

well in scenario terms a PC group would be key components on this raid. Mission Impossible does mean their is a chance they can pull it off

it has to be planned alot, & you need certain types of PC's or members of this group. ideas so far is

1. Space route
2. Centre Gates
3. sub levels ( which is most likely starting point)
4. you can try overt or covert means, though covert is most likely to work
5. It prob requires very specific & powerful team members
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

gadrin wrote:sure why not. boy, as a GM I'd hate to be telling the players: "yeah it's quite a place, but nothing ever happens there."

something limited like a "smash & grab" could easily happen.

D-Squad in the Splynn book has them raiding Splynn. It also helps to have one of the local biggies in your pocket, like Ren the Hunter.

metamorphosis superior, some natural shapechanging abilities might confuse things in those enormous crowds. magic and psionics are very common and happen routinely.

I've got scenarios where Naruni (behind the scenes) breaks out slaves from the Splugorth Trading Post there and gets them off Center. This creates lots of friction between the Sploogs and the Prometheans.

Naturally they (Naruni) use intermediaries.

well my thoughts were that unknown "npc/force" will be using PC group to raid centre ( the clasic movies always have an expert or someone else pulling the strings of the heist).
what type PC's would you have, what none PC assistance will you give them.
so far getting them down in sublevels is best option, BUT that is a long way from where the goodies are & palyers may never got out of there in one piece. Ren the hunter type suggestion would solve that, but they'll want a cut. 50:50, tehre is only so much help PC's can have, because it ahs too be kept secret as well. so balance needs to be maintained of large enough force & help, with going on unnoticed & maintaining secrecy.

i thought that raiding ( In whatever form) centre would be a staple scenario.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

is there any anti phase ****. surely phase powers arn't the be all and end all.

thought magic would be a good counter against the PW defences
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

well PC's reasons(scenarios in centre) to going to Centre are going to be

accidental, shopping. live there, midway point to somewhere else, mission on there (this could be getting something from there illegally)

so not to many reasons fro scenarios.

anyone think smash & grab will work. i think even with munchkin PC's, specifically designed for this job, that is unlikely to work.

but a heist, well planned could work, espeically if rp'ed over a few scenarios. it is really a mini-campaign on its own.

natural teleportation or natural d-porting would significantly increase your chance of success, so a hatchling or two could make a difference
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

well part of the challenge is to take on all the **** on Centre. it is the Promethans who are the challenge, that sets Centre apart from say raiding Splynn.
if you want to say, yeah this group can pull this off at Centre, they have to do soemthing anti-Promethan.
if you want to take stuff from splugorth, take on Splynn, it will be tougher than what is on Centre, but if you want spice, take on Klynn while hitting the Promethans as well. that will mean you will have Splugorth & Promethans gunning for you.

so far i was thinking, that the SI in sub levels rifts in player group, makes them an offer they can't refuse through the Knife.
the knife means the PC's don't get molested on Centre as they under the Knives protection.

this leaves them to concentre on heist.

this could be get something from the temples on PW for the SI ( who players don't know anything about)

what could they get from the temples on PW.

but this will make scenario a huge deal easier, with the SI protection, alot of the nasty **** you have to trawl through won't bother you as the Knife & his gang are your aegis.
This will also provide you with the support & back up you may need to bail yourself out if the **** hist the fan.
Last edited by DBX on Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

Zerebus wrote:If the Challenge is to take on Center...

...then you'll lose.

If the Prometheans face a serious threat, the 2nd stagers will come out of hiding.

There's just no way to win.

challenge isn't to threathen Promethans, it is do soemthing that they don't want you to do. this could be stealing phase technology. find out what the **** the second stagers are doing, what is off Centre on PW. they don't allow others to go off Centre. so just doing that for PC's is an accomplishment.

Using the SI in sublevels is good use of an SI. i don't think he is sitting there just to eat anyone that enters the lower lvls of Centre. he prob has a grudge or something big going down against the 2nd Stagers

It is not going to be easy, but some munchkin PC's could do it, if you plan everything to be an anti promethan occ/rcc
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

the first rp scenario of this failed. just because the GM wanted it that way. it was a play test/fun scenario

using the teleporting idea. we went to Centre, explored it, shopped, did the tourist thing, went down to the lower lvls, had a few scraps there. essentially not attract any attention

than we decided to try & get to one of the temples of Centre. using our munchkin teleporting devices ( scrolls & magic items) to leave Centre & land on PW proper.

first teleport, we disappeared & re appeared where we started from. thought spells malfunctioned.

second try we appeared in the lower lvls & quickly tried 3rd time. this time we appeared at gateland, with a note saying try harder. as our uber teleports had ran out, we decided to leave using the gates.

i guess GM used his perogative, as we were just using normal characters, who weren't all that by Rifts std, let alone 3 galaxies, but teleporting is the way to go, just need better planning, like knowing where exactly we attempting to teleport to.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

The kind of raid where you charge in from outside the dimention (such as are periodically pulled on Bazaar in Atlantis...) can't happen (easily). The Prometheans have created too many defences to allow that.

However, once you're IN Centre...anything goes. They generally don't care about anything that does not directly impact the structual integrity of the building (Centre) itself. Here, you need only worry about the precautions taken by the assorted concerns (Splugorth, Naruni, etc). Kinda like what would happen if the police were here to police traffic concerns ONLY, and ignore even an outright murder right in front of them. The bank would have to have it's own method of security to prevent robberies.
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”