New Wormwood Book?

Dimension Books & nothing but..

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

Already working on something in the same vein. Its an article for the Rifter that is quickly ballooning in scope.

Brave New Wormwood introduces some new places to adventure in and destroy, such as Ezud - the Eastern Dominion, the war-torn Reorith Province, and the third-world Far Soverenties.

What it also does is give a ton of historic background into the setting: where did the Cathedral come from? How did the Unholy arrive here in the first place? Things like that.

New OCCs include the Eastern Templars, Ezud Long Bowman, and the Sentinel Knights.

In short, LOTS of new world info...not a lot of new toys. For a taste of what I'm cooking up, be sure to check out the teasers I will post from time to time here on the message board.
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Sentinel
Palladin

Unread post by Sentinel »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:

New OCCs include the Eastern Templars, Ezud Long Bowman, and the Sentinel Knights.

(emphasis added) I'm flattered.
I would very much like to see more detailed world info, and perhaps some unique weapons (but let's not turn this into an arms catalog).
I would very much have loved to see a Palladium Wormwood comic book done by Tim Truman and Flint Henry.
when you get right down to it, Sentinel's right.~Uncle Servo.

Sentinel. you'll be always loved by the German Princess.~Nelly

That's twice in one day Sentinel has cleaned up my mess.~The Galactus Kid.

That's the best place to start. Otherwise, listen to Sentinel~lather

Listen to the Sentinel...he speaks truth.~ Shadyslug

Sentinel you have the biggest sig I've ever seen~Natasha
Braden Campbell

You'd like them. The Sentinel Knights were the the peacekeepers of the United Realm (the vast empire that existed before the Great Tribulation). They had the authority to mediate disputes between the Holy Orders, were the Emperor's bodyguard, and policed the populace.

Their last Grand Master was Lord Hurcae Reorith. During the battle of Khulam Plains (where the nations of Men unififed against the Unholy for the first - and last - time) Lord Reortih managed to wound the Unholy with his sword. Then he got himself killed.

But the Unholy never forgot that the Sentinel Knight had cut him. So over the next ten years, it summoned the Shades to roam Wormwood and kill all the Sentinels. Finally, when there were only a handful left, they decided to disband the Order and go into hiding until the day when the Realm was once again unifed and there was an Emperor to serve.

So they have samuri-like swordsmanship, and great authority, but must hide and disguise themselves as peasants and freelancers; for if they cut loose, and the Forces of Darkness find out, they will be hunted down and killed.

As for items...there are three powerful ones so far, more set dressing than items to be used. But the Wormwood golems are kind of cool...
Braden, GMPhD

gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Will you give more info on Ezud?

What do you think is it current population?

Is it still rule by a King or Queen?

You have come up with some Cool ideas!

I hope to see more!
Judas
Dungeon Crawler
Location: England when summoned otherwise Hell, where I burn well.

Unread post by Judas »

Yeah Braden, sounds sweet. :mrgreen:
"Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves."
-- Matthew 7:15
"Every girl looks good in the dark."
--Faraday's Law# 99

"A myth can die, but a legend is forever"

Braden Campbell

gaby wrote:Will you give more info on Ezud?

Lots. Its page count is about 20+ right now, and I still have to describe the major cities...

What do you think is it current population?

Ezud is vast and underpopulated compared to the Kingdom of Light. Total is about 2.5 million (the Cathedral outnumbers them about 5-1)

Is it still rule by a King or Queen?

From the Ezud section...

The current ruler of Ezud is Queen Notari, a 37-year-old woman of average appearance, and selfish demeanor. Her husband, Prince Baldael, is a little more conscientious (Unscrupulous alignment) but is equally uncharismatic (MA of 10). They have only one son, fifteen-year-old Prince Ranen, whose single outstanding characteristic is his skill in combat (PP of 19).

The anarchistic behavior of the Queen is leading the Dominion further into decay. In the four years since her coronation, she has done little to improve the army, and has let relations with the other human kingdoms sour. She observes only the public trappings of religion, and in her private life does not concern herself a bit with matters of the soul. The common people know nothing of this, but behind closed doors, it is of great concern. The truth is if the royal court had its way, Notari would not be Queen at all. It was never intended that she take the Throne; her older sister, Calavi, was supposed to rule instead. But fate, it seems had different plans. Calavi died before her coronation, and Notari, who had never been trained to be a monarch, was crowned instead.
Braden, GMPhD

GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

One of my players has offered to start-up a Wormwood game here at home, and any additional info would be a help!
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

.[/quote]

just read these messages, alot of good ideas, is this a concrete submission

any more info these Eastern Templars, please?
Last edited by DBX on Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unread post by Guest »

NEW O.C.C.s
As has been said before, those who defend Ezud are steeped (some would say trapped) in a tradition of defense. It has been this way for over 1000 years, since the battle of Khulam Plains. Their religion dictates that one must only go to war or adopt an offensive posture as an absolute last resort. It is wiser to fall back and build a better defense than it is to charge forward and open oneself to defeat.

Over the millennia this has become the center point in what is called “the Ezud Theory of Battle”. It is very different from the fighting styles found throughout the rest of Wormwood, most of which favor taking the fight directly to the enemy. The Ezud general would rather retreat from combat and live to fight another day, than risk loosing all his men in a death-or-glory assault. Unlike the Cathedral, there is no such thing as “acceptable losses” or “disposable troops”. Every man is precious, and in war, is not to be expended lightly.

This line of thinking has done two things. First and foremost, it has had a great impact on weapons development. The Templars of Ezud do not carry swords as their Cathedral cousins do. Instead, they are trained primarily in the use of pole arms. Pikes, staves, and halberds are all used, with the traditional weapon being the Hadaras. Each of theses weapons gives the Knight a long reach in melee combat. The idea is to never get closer than seven feet from one’s enemy, and to keep them at bay outside a large defensive circle.

Range is the Theory’s key concept. Nowhere is this best exemplified than in the missile weapons of the Eastern Dominion. From the Longbow to the compound ballista, the armies of Ezud can outrange any force on Wormwood hands down. The Demon Hound Riders in Lost Ezud learned at great cost that coming within 800’ of their enemy put them in harms way. There are even a select few archers in the army who can strike a target at a range of over 1200’ feet! While the rest of Wormwood has opted to increase their fighting range by importing black powder weapons from Earth, Ezud has honed its missile weapons to such a degree that they have become the machineguns of Wormwood; a mid-level Long bowman can fire anywhere from sixteen to twenty arrows per minute at an average range of 800 feet. During the same time, a soldier with a TW pistol can unleash up to twelve shots with a maximum range of only 200’. As well, the resin arrows are far cheaper to produce in large numbers than the somewhat delicate crystal conversions of the pistols and rifles. The superior range, coupled with an abundance of ammunition, makes the Ezud Long Bow a weapon to be admired and feared.

In a more negative light, The Theory of Battle has made the Ezud commanders give up a lot of territory with no real plan of how to retake it. After so many generations of falling back and consolidating, there is no one now left alive who has any idea of how to put together a large offense. Unless something changes soon, Ezud will be doomed to slowly loose its territorial possessions with no hope of ever getting them back. It will simply dwindle away into nothing, and be swallowed up by the Unholy.
But that day is not here yet, and there are many who continue to defend Ezud from assimilation. Most of the OCCs in the Wormwood main book can be found in Ezud. Priests of Light, Apok, Freelancers, Monk Warriors, Wormspeakers, and Symbiotic Warriors can all be found here and may be played without any changes.

NEW SKILLS
Technical, Language: Ezudesh: Over the past 1000 years the regional dialects once spoken in the various parts of Wormwood have evolved into languages of their own. This is the language spoken in the Eastern Dominion. It sounds a lot like American, but has enough differences to make it difficult to strangers. Newcomers to Ezud (those who speak only American) can speak and understand Ezudesh, but with a –20% Penalty. Base Skill: 50%+5% per level.

Technical, Lore: Wormwood: The study of the history of the Living Planet, its people, places, and legends. The character will be familiar with the major events of the past thousand years, such as the Sundering of the Realm, the Battle of Khulam Plains, and disappearance of the Sentinels. They will also recognize the names of certain famous magical artifacts like the Kidoc, the Mayvoc, and Abendzul. Taking this skill twice denotes a professional interest; the character is a scholar and is likely to know much finer detail than one who has a casual interest. Professional historians will also know most of the lineage of Emperor Khaimeron I. Note that anything dating from before the Sundering of Realm is pretty much lost to antiquity. Base Skill: 35%+5% per level.

That should be enough for now. Don't want to give too much away...

Unread post by Guest »

Braden, GMPhD wrote:Brave New Wormwood introduces some new places to adventure in and destroy, such as Ezud - the Eastern Dominion, the war-torn Reorith Province, and the third-world Far Soverenties.

It will now also include a look at Worldgate, and how the "economy" of Wormwood works. Worldgate is run by the mysterious Lords of the Exchequer, and is a place where Wormwood itself is dying! Details will include how to be a Wormwood mercenary, how to kidnap people from other dimentions and force them to fight the Unholy, how to forge something out of Soulstuff, and how to pilot a Wormwood tank.

Seriously.
DBX
Hero

Unread post by DBX »

GMPhD Clone wrote:
Braden, GMPhD wrote:Brave New Wormwood introduces some new places to adventure in and destroy, such as Ezud - the Eastern Dominion, the war-torn Reorith Province, and the third-world Far Soverenties.

It will now also include a look at Worldgate, and how the "economy" of Wormwood works. Worldgate is run by the mysterious Lords of the Exchequer, and is a place where Wormwood itself is dying! Details will include how to be a Wormwood mercenary, how to kidnap people from other dimentions and force them to fight the Unholy, how to forge something out of Soulstuff, and how to pilot a Wormwood tank.

Seriously.

:ok:

this idea makes alot of sense to me, and i like your thinking on the ideas you have so far hinted at regarding occ's. i think this sort of book will really add to Wormwood, but not sure if it will ever get done officially.

Return to “Rifts®: Dimension Books”