Silver Bullets

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Display-Name-Alpha
Dungeon Crawler

Silver Bullets

Unread post by Display-Name-Alpha »

Can someone point me to a reference of silver bullet costs.... specifically for a 12 gauge shotgun.

I have been browsing RUE, GMG, Vampire Kingdoms, and several other books but I cannot find a price for them.
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that since they aren't generally something that would normally sell real well apart from the very specific purpose, just multiply the cost of a regular round by some arbitrary factor - maybe 50 or 100 (you have to figure that this sort of thing really is going to be available where it would be needed, and thus the market would be disproportionately stacked in terms of value).

Are precious metal values ever really mentioned? That might be a good way of figuring how much it would cost to make one (and then just mark it up from there).
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
RainOfSteel
Champion

Re: Silver Bullets

Unread post by RainOfSteel »

God Cheese wrote:Can someone point me to a reference of silver bullet costs.... specifically for a 12 gauge shotgun.

I have been browsing RUE, GMG, Vampire Kingdoms, and several other books but I cannot find a price for them.

I direct you to:

Silver...how much?

Silver Bullets for Real

Shotgun Rounds
TableSmith :: RUE Topics Reference
Is it bad form to agree with you agreeing with me? ~ Toc Rat
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

The RMB has silver listed at 300cr an oz. A 12ga. shotgun has 1-1.5 oz. loads, sometimes more. So considering other costs like manufacturing and obtaining the materials tthe rounds would most likely cost around 500-600cr. per round.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:The RMB has silver listed at 300cr an oz. A 12ga. shotgun has 1-1.5 oz. loads, sometimes more. So considering other costs like manufacturing and obtaining the materials tthe rounds would most likely cost around 500-600cr. per round.

Less than that; I'd put it at around 300+the cost of a single round per round. The silver isn't much more difficult to process, just more expensive.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Steve Dubya
Hero
Comment: Disingenuous mountebanks and their subliminal chicanery! A pox on them! - Homer Simpson

Unread post by Steve Dubya »

I think that the real issue that you would deal with is (as Sentinel mentioned) price gouging unless you had someone in your employ making these things.

Just look at what is going on with the price of gas today - if they can charge more for it (and are pretty much the only suppliers) there isn't a lot that the consumer can do if they desire the product in question.
"Things aren't what they used to be" is the rallying cry of small minds. When men say things used to be better, they invariably mean they were better for them, because they were young, and had all their hopes intact. The world is bound to look a darker place as you slide into the grave.
Best Served Cold, Joe Abercrombie
Library Ogre

darkmax wrote:Wait a minute... I thought Silver bullets are just coated with silver? That won't cost as much, no? Silver is far to soft to use as a bullet fired from a high powered, high temperature weapon. That's my understanding.

Silver isn't especially soft. It is, indeed, harder than what is commonly used in bullets.

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
All Palladium Articles
demos606
Hero

Unread post by demos606 »

Biggest problem with silver slugs is they don't handle the stresses of being fired as well as normal bullet materials. As for the original question, check the Mercenaries books for silver ammo.
What a cruel thing is war: to separate and destroy families and friends, and mar the purest joys and happiness God has granted us in this world; to fill our hearts with hatred instead of love for our neighbors, and to devastate the fair face of this beautiful world. - R E Lee
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. - G Orwell
RainOfSteel
Champion

MrNexx wrote:Silver isn't especially soft. It is, indeed, harder than what is commonly used in bullets.

Hmm, I was under the impression that silver was only a little harder than gold, and that lead was harder.

Can you provide more details?
And if something bugs you, you have a right to complain about it. ~ Killer Cyborg
The quality of the crate matters little. Success depends upon who sits in it. ~ Baron Manfred von Richtofen
Library Ogre

Wikipedia put's it's hardness on Moh's scale at 2.5; lead's at 1.5; gold at 2.5.... huh. I thought it was harder than gold.

All Palladium Articles
RainOfSteel
Champion

MrNexx wrote:Wikipedia put's it's hardness on Moh's scale at 2.5; lead's at 1.5; gold at 2.5.... huh. I thought it was harder than gold.

Hmm, I'll have to go with that. My web searches for malleability and ductility didn't go anywhere.

EDIT-------------------------

Wikipedia also mentions that silver is only "slightly" harder than gold.

Of course, Wikipedia also mentions (on the same page), that silver fulminate is a powerful, if impractical, explosive.

Nobel stabilized nitro glycerin as TNT. Perhaps some alchemist/chemist could have provided a stabilized form of silver fulminate in Rifts Earth? Take that vampire scum!
Last edited by RainOfSteel on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Library Ogre

demos606 wrote:Biggest problem with silver slugs is they don't handle the stresses of being fired as well as normal bullet materials. As for the original question, check the Mercenaries books for silver ammo.

Got a page reference? I can't seem to find it,

All Palladium Articles

Return to “Rifts®”