Where can precious metals/gems be purchased in NorAm?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

taalismn
Priest

Re: Where can precious metals/gems be purchased in NorAm?

Unread post by taalismn »

Well...close to the source, you might look for trading camps near the remains of old cities, where the salvagers sell to the (well-armed) merchants who take the stuff to trading centers like Lazlo, Chi-Town, Houston, and the Relic, where the price gets marked up(shipping and handling, you understand)...
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Pretty much everywhere near the mountains. Remember, there rockies aren't the same rockies we know, so mining can be happening anywhere along there where no mines would even work now. But the big places are the ruins of cities. Old jewerly stores, rich homes, banks (especially ones with safety deposite boxes), museums, etc. All would be full of handy gems. And, as mentioned, any encampments near these locations would be better, as they're probably selling what they scavenged.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

You should be able to buy any of the things you are looking for in any major city in NA. Any techno-wizard should be able to give you a connection to his supplier. THE Black Market will also get you what you need for a price.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

RPGMAN wrote:Duh! <slaps forehead>

I hadn't even thought about just having the Black Market being at least a possible or first place for the PCs to talk to. Thanks for that!

I'll check the New West, maybe they have some prices for gold and silver, but does anyone know off-hand what an ounce would run in universal credits? I know IRL it's like $500 a troy ounce right now, but that doesn't really help so much, the economics of Rifts is so freakin' wacky...... lol

Page 208 of Rift's RPG.
Prince Artemis
Voice of the Gateway
Comment: I love how people are quick to make demands, make spurious claims and then play the victim when you call them on it.
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, CANADA. NOT Austrailia, CANADA.

Unread post by Prince Artemis »

Shadow Wyrm wrote:
RPGMAN wrote:Duh! <slaps forehead>

I hadn't even thought about just having the Black Market being at least a possible or first place for the PCs to talk to. Thanks for that!

I'll check the New West, maybe they have some prices for gold and silver, but does anyone know off-hand what an ounce would run in universal credits? I know IRL it's like $500 a troy ounce right now, but that doesn't really help so much, the economics of Rifts is so freakin' wacky...... lol

Page 208 of Rift's RPG.

Yeah, what was it, 1,200 an ounce or something like that? Any PFRPG characters that come to rifts earth are usually really well off to start :)
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

RPGMAN wrote:Ah, there we go, that helps (thank you!).

I remember there was a list of gem values somewhere, or maybe it was what they were good for magic-wise. Anyone know where that list was? I'll check my Atlantis when I get home, Stone Magic is ringing a bell on that I think.

There is a list in Atlantis, the most complete list is in RUE in the TW section.
csbioborg
Champion
Comment: Lazlo and its supporters talk of Dbee rights. Can you even comprehend the plight of the untold billions of humans evicted from thier homes since their coming? What of their rights?

Unread post by csbioborg »

CS is likely the biggest supplier
it appears even their enemies are comfortable using the univseral credit
so that must mean the CS engages in minimal fractional reserve banking (no more than 50% reserve) and most likely has gold to back up most of its assets
I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and we ate wild blueberries. More than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of four or five. The leaves were so dark and green then. The grass smelled sweet with the spring wind...For us, there is no spring. Just the wind that smells fresh before the storm.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

csbioborg wrote:CS is likely the biggest supplier
it appears even their enemies are comfortable using the univseral credit
so that must mean the CS engages in minimal fractional reserve banking (no more than 50% reserve) and most likely has gold to back up most of its assets

If they stockpile the gold then the are the biggest consumer also and what they produce is not really sold so much as borrowed against.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg

Return to “Rifts®”