cnc machining whats skills do you need to use one

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kaneman19
D-Bee

cnc machining whats skills do you need to use one

Unread post by kaneman19 »

hey guys im starting out a rifts game with some friends and i am playing as an operator. i have a cool 5 axis cnc mill and lathe with like 4 live tool each. would i need to use my compueter program skill and my mechanical enginering skill to use these machines or are their other skills that would make more sense plz let me know thanks.
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Re: cnc machining whats skills do you need to use one

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

kaneman19 wrote:hey guys im starting out a rifts game with some friends and i am playing as an operator. i have a cool 5 axis cnc mill and lathe with like 4 live tool each. would i need to use my compueter program skill and my mechanical enginering skill to use these machines or are their other skills that would make more sense plz let me know thanks.

I've done some CNC machining IRL and that sounds good maybe add some math.
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Chronicle
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Your Local Lurker. THAT'S the Reality.....

Email: Chronos47@gmail.com

Unread post by Chronicle »

There should be a Machining skill, i have seen the work done, and for the full range of creation, some vocational training is definatly involved
Your local Lurker and Temporal Wizard Extrodinaire,

Chronicle

Cosmic Forge or bust.

Love me some Phood

Where is the wood in Wormwood.

"How Are you a Super Power" -Sterling Archer
kaneman19
D-Bee

Unread post by kaneman19 »

thanks guys you have all been a great help. i love the palldium books comunty probly one of the best out their. oh is their by any chance some info on what kind of cutting tools they have in rifts or should i just make some stuff up.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

kaneman19 wrote:thanks guys you have all been a great help. i love the palldium books comunty probly one of the best out their. oh is their by any chance some info on what kind of cutting tools they have in rifts or should i just make some stuff up.

Vibroblades, Plasma and Laser torches, right off the top of my head....basic equipment in both Rifts and the Rifts GM's Book features toys like the Wilks Laser Wand, and the Bionics books features MD drills and laser cutters as equipment for mining 'borgs. If you're just cutting SDC materials, using a well-sharpened MD metal or ceramic cutting head will probably give you YEARS of maintenance-free cutting life. For the superhard MDC materials, however, using vibroblades, energy cutters, or even the modified claws of supernatural MDC beasties(thinks of a lathe with an MDC dinosaur claw lashed in place as the cutting tool) are your best options.

And, yes, you can always make new stuff up as part of the spirit of invention.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Oberoth
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Oberoth »

I'm a Machinist (and Mechanic) by trade these days, so I know a good deal about this topic. Thought I would chime in. I don't operate anything nearly as fancy as you described though. Here are the skills a Machinist would need off the top of my head.

Literacy. A Machinist needs to be able to read.

Basic Mechanics/General Repair & Maintenance. A Machinist is often tasked with maintaining and/or repairing the machines he/she operates. As such a good working knowledge of machines is required. A machinist also needs to take very accurate measurements (this is critical), with multiple different instruments (Dial indicator, Micrometer/Spanner, Laser Interferometer, Bore Gauge, the list goes on). I assume this would be covered here, or within the Auto-mechanics skill.

Mathematics (Basic). Often a machinist will make dimensional calculations prior or during the
machining process.

Mathematics (Advanced). This is especially helpful for more advanced parts manufacturing (Robotics,
Auto, Tool and die).

Computer Operation. The Machinist is doing just that. Operating a machine and it's software. No advanced
programming is needed. The Machinist is just telling the machine how much to cut, and in what way to do
it (X,Y,Z..., Angle, Feeds/speeds/number of cuts, what cutting tool etc...).

If your character is making anything big, he will need to know how to use a crane/hoist as well.
This should be covered in the Auto-mechanics skill, or perhaps Mechanical engineer?

Oh yea, the Jury-Rig skill would be helpful whilst operating on a thin budget too. :)
sirkermittsg
Explorer

Unread post by sirkermittsg »

I am with oberoth on his skill list. most of the skills an operator all ready has. the true question is how you will use the parts....robotic skills if using the parts for robitic repairs for example.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

i would second Oberoth's list.

though i would add that if you yourself are designing the program for the item to be machined, be it from scratch or based on an exiting part you are inputting the plans for, you should have the appropriate mechanical skill. so if your working on programming it to make parts for a car engine or an aircraft fuselage or whatever, you would need automotive mechanics, aircraft engineering, or so on. purely so that you can ensure the resulting part is viable.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”